Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you tried Rock Climbing?

I just got into doing this recently and I must say its a lot of fun. Especially when you try different walls to climb. Right now I just go to a rock climbing gym where I live. They have all sorts of different walls with different levels of difficulty, and it is super fun figuring it out and learning to climb.

Anyone else tried this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've done rock climbing in a gym and some basic free climbing as well.... both are good but it just isn't the same in a controlled environment.

Nope. Closest I got was my brother had some rock climbing equipment and he set it up in our old "open Concept" home. We then spent an hour repelling from the 3rd story to the ground level. Even my parents got to try it.

Deleted
    Years ago. I was fairly terrible at it.

This is how my whole country looks...

Unless horizontal rock climbing becomes a thing i dont think it will ever catch on here...

Deleted
    I did rock climbing a few times with the army, there are more exciting ways to spend your time off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was competing for 6 years. Now I do it just for fun with friends. People in Slovenia are big in extreme sports so climbing is no exception. There are more that 100 secure places to climb.
    Here is climbing sight in Rovinj(In Croatia). One of my favourite places to climb. Very pleasant in spring time.

and here is Črni kal. One of the busiest climbing spots in Slovenia. Very family friendly.
    Delu čast in oblast!
    Praise the work and give it power!

15+ Year Old Account
    Have tried it one time, but being afraid of heights doesn't really help my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    This is how my whole country looks...

Unless horizontal rock climbing becomes a thing i dont think it will ever catch on here...
    ha !

Sorry, it had to be done
    Last edited by Archangel Tyrael; 2012-06-04 at 08:00 PM.

My friends and I used to go to a local rock climbing gym when we were teens and I loved it. I haven't done it since then (apart from random chances at the county fair or something like that).

However, I would very much like to get back into it, every once in a while I tell myself I'm gonna find a place to go (I believe the place we used to go as teens has been shut down), but I never actually go through with it.

I'll have to start out slow though, because I'm not in shape, at-all. The last time I went climbing was at a fair, and I only did it because you won a Wii if you got to the top of each wall (there were 3 of increasing difficulty). I did it, but by the end of the third wall my arms and legs were shaking uncontrollably.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-06-04 at 08:11 PM.

I really want to try it. It has always sounded like something I would like to try. I enjoy hiking a lot and this seems like another great activity for me to try. I do enjoy heights so this would be up my alley.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's the same as Catta, if you want to do rock climbing, you better go abroad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

I did some rock climbing at a summer camp. It was a lot of fun, even though I wasn't very good at it. I never really saw the point in climbing at a gym though, if I'm going to the trouble of climbing something I want a view from the top

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about it for a while years back, but the only available wall back then was 30 minutes drive away. Right now my shape is just too bad to try it. I'd fall off the wall in about 5 minutes cause my arms would be too tired to hold myself up.

In a theoretical way, I'd still love to do it. It seems to me to be the ideal mix between exercise and using your mind to figure out where to climb and what to do and also train your focus and physical control.

I love climbing! If you find you really enjoy it and stick to a gym rock wall, the best investment you can make is in your own shoes, chalk bag and harness (if your gym has uncomfortable harnesses). My experience with my school's gym was the chalk was fine (chalk is chalk, honestly) but their shoes were too "one size fits all" approach. I got some really nice fitting ones (you want them small and snug for better footwork) at a REI spring sale. When you start looking to get into doing outdoor routes and lead climbing, you need more equipment (carabiners, ropes, cams, etc.). Make sure if you go do outdoor routes that you have a strong understanding of how to tie your own ropes, belay someone heavier than you, know how to clip in to quickdraws, and don't try routes that are way above your skill level. The couple of times I've gone were with people who are way better than I am and I learned a ton from that. I also felt safer because everyone was accountable and double checking.

I personally enjoy lead climbing and bouldering the most. I haven't been in awhile (been busy, had surgery) but I was starting to work on crack climbing techniques which are really fun. Just make sure you allow yourself time to recover. As you probably know, a lot of those harder hold techniques can be brutal on "virgin" hands. The hardest thing for my roommate to learn when he took a class in college with me was to avoid using your upper body instead of your lower body to progress up the wall. Basically, you don't want to do a series of pull ups on the rock. Whenever possible, you want to use your much bigger leg muscles to PUSH yourself up a route. You save a ton of energy that way and your forearms will thank you.

If the gym has instructors or pros hanging around, have them show you some technique basics like matching, crossing, finger crimps (hurt so bad when you learn them), smearing, hooking...
    Last edited by Projali; 2012-06-04 at 08:31 PM.

I've tried it a bit. Unfortunately, I'm terrible with heights and my relatively short arms, legs, and fingers along with my heavy torso (I'm built like a barrel) are all poorly adapted for something like rock climbing.

I did rock climbing and rope climbing for a week in gym class, it was really fun and i would do it again

I have a membership at a local rock gym. I've been climbing for a little bit less than a year now, and I have a very good build for it (6'1, 130lbs). I'm getting pretty good at bouldering, and I will say its done a ton for my overall level of fitness.

I would recommend it to anyone with a non-obtrusive build, but with the warning that it is not something that you are instantly good at... it takes time to develop the necessary muscles, especially in terms of finger strength, and it is also not an activity that is recommended for hand models. There will be blisters and callouses, and many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by galimim View Post
    I was competing for 6 years. Now I do it just for fun with friends. People in Slovenia are big in extreme sports so climbing is no exception. There are more that 100 secure places to climb.
    Here is climbing sight in Rovinj(In Croatia). One of my favourite places to climb. Very pleasant in spring time.

and here is Črni kal. One of the busiest climbing spots in Slovenia. Very family friendly.
    Little off topic but loved Croata while I spent 3 months in Rijeka. Drove throug Slovenia while heading into Italy and beatiful country. Not sure what I was expecting but I want to see more of that part of the world
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Used to be really into canyoneering years ago...which had a good mix of rock climbing involved. I LOVED it but the group I went with eventually grew apart.