Surveillance: more important then exploration?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...UDV_print.html

Kind of funny that NASA's budget it to small to accomplish anything anymore, when the military has two extremely high quality telescopes they can just hand them down when they get better ones :P

Who cares about exploration of space; we need to be able to read what that guy down there is reading, and perhaps look down his wives blouse!

10+ Year Old Account
    "But this is definitely a game-changer for NASA’s space science program. The unexpected gift offers NASA an opportunity to resurrect a plan to launch a new telescope to study the mysterious “dark energy” that is causing the universe’s expansion to accelerate.

The scientific community had made the dark energy telescope its top priority in the latest “decadal survey” of goals in astronomy and astrophysics."

From what I see, their stated purpose seems free from ill intent

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    "But this is definitely a game-changer for NASA’s space science program. The unexpected gift offers NASA an opportunity to resurrect a plan to launch a new telescope to study the mysterious “dark energy” that is causing the universe’s expansion to accelerate.

The scientific community had made the dark energy telescope its top priority in the latest “decadal survey” of goals in astronomy and astrophysics."

From what I see, their stated purpose seems free from ill intent

that is NASAS goal, NOT what they were orig for. They were for surveillance for the military. Please, read the entire thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    that is NASAS goal, NOT what they were orig for. They were for surveillance for the military. Please, read the entire thing.
    So what? You're acting as if spy satellites haven't been floating over our heads for half a century.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    So what? You're acting as if spy satellites haven't been floating over our heads for half a century.

I don't think you get the point. This has nothing to do with the fact that they are using spy telescopes and such, it is that they have so much money they can have two just left over to donate to nasa after they are done with them, while nasa gets nothing. Thus the title :Surveillance, more important then exploration? Since that seems to be the primary point of the post, perhaps you should respond to that.

Do you think Nasa should get barely anything while defense has enough money for several of these? I personally do not.

That we've blown ~$4 trillion on our two wars (source) but cancelled The James Webb Space Telescope because of cost overruns is a national shame.

meh, I think that is more of a sign of nasa needing funding then the NRO having too much.
    exploration is important, but it shouldn't be the only goal of nasa, we need to get out there and stay out there. colonization and mining should be the focus and we are going to need a lot more money and something better then chemical rockets to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I don't think you get the point. This has nothing to do with the fact that they are using spy telescopes and such, it is that they have so much money they can have two just left over to donate to nasa after they are done with them, while nasa gets nothing. Thus the title :Surveillance, more important then exploration? Since that seems to be the primary point of the post, perhaps you should respond to that.

Do you think Nasa should get barely anything while defense has enough money for several of these? I personally do not.

Why bother? Your decision to use loaded words like surveillance and create an imaginary zero-sum competition between two unrelated budget items indicates you've pretty clearly made up your mind. So, I can't imagine you're interested in anything more than a fight or agenda pushing.

But, if you put aside your bias for a moment, you might see a really kind of great story about an incredibly secretive, often demonized organization unilaterally acting in the interests of the entire planet. That's not something you hear everyday. But, you go ahead and make this about the evils of the military-industrial complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why bother? Your decision to use loaded words like surveillance and create an imaginary zero-sum competition between two unrelated budget items indicates you've pretty clearly made up your mind. So, I can't imagine you're interested in anything more than a fight or agenda pushing.

But, if you put aside your bias for a moment, you might see a really kind of great story about an incredibly secretive, often demonized organization unilaterally acting in the interests of the entire planet. That's not something you hear everyday. But, you go ahead and make this about the evils of the military-industrial complex.

That and I prefer that over exploring space. I really don't find it too interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That we've blown ~$4 trillion on our two wars (source) but cancelled The James Webb Space Telescope because of cost overruns is a national shame.
    James Web was something over 6x its projected budget and its launch date keeps getting pushed back, but I'm also unaware of it being cancelled?

Then exploration what?

Grammar Nazi aside, I think I care more about staying alive and safety than the rocks in the sky (that I'll be dead before anything amazing happens with them).
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Then exploration what?

Grammar Nazi aside, I think I care more about staying alive and safety than the rocks in the sky (that I'll be dead before anything amazing happens with them).
    the chances are low that "anything amazing happens with them" but not zero... if every generation keeps on having that mindset eventually one of them will be wrong, I would much rather worry about it now and get our species into space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TofuBeast View Post
    I totally agree with Dr. Tyson, but that's not related to our intelligence programs. There's no money left for NASA because of Medicare Part D, Iraq, Afghanistan, and tax cuts. We can have the intelligence gathering capabilities we need and still have enough money to explore the stars.

I totally agree with Dr. Tyson, but that's not related to our intelligence programs. There's no money left for NASA because of Medicare Part D, Iraq, Afghanistan, and tax cuts. We can have the intelligence gathering capabilities we need and still have enough money to explore the stars.
    I don't understand why everyone is all about 'tax cuts hurr!' when taxes are at the lowest they have been since Income Tax was instituted in the US, and the development of the US that made it the world power it is today is hugely based on those tax dollars being spent on infrastructure. The Infrastructure that we use MUST be repaired, but there is no money because its always 'cut taxes and give people shit for free!'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is all about 'tax cuts hurr!' when taxes are at the lowest they have been since Income Tax was instituted in the US, and the development of the US that made it the world power it is today is hugely based on those tax dollars being spent on infrastructure. The Infrastructure that we use MUST be repaired, but there is no money because its always 'cut taxes and give people shit for free!'.
    Yeah, it's definitely a head scratcher. Even the Holy Reagan (Peace be upon him) raised taxes.