Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What category of gamer do you fall into?

Gamer 1) The type that got into gaming as a young kid and never got out of it....isn't proud of it, doesn't tell anyone besides people very close to them. If you saw this type of gamer in the street you would assume the person isn't a gamer because you'll never hear Gamer 1 whisper a word regarding gaming outside their own private space. This type of gamer doesn't see it as their "passion" - but has nothing better to do. This is the habit gamer, just doing it because it's an easy/cheap way to have constant enjoyment in you own personal space. This type of gamer wouldn't be caught dead at any gaming events like LANs or midnight releases. This type of person doesn't care about how well or bad they're at something, they just play for the sake of passing time. This type of gamer generally focuses on one outlet for gaming, strictly PC gaming or strictly Xbox or PS3 or Wii.

Gamer 2)
    The type that got into gaming as a young kid, but moved on with life, got a family, did stuff, have tons of responsibilities in life but sees gaming as their hobby and will still try as hard as they can to keep gaming even with a family/mortgage/run of the mill normal person issues. This type of gamer is happy enough just to get a few hours in per week at the very most, but they're happy with what they can get. This type of person will generally spread their passion to family by buying their 5 & 8 year old kids $2000 gaming rigs or an xbox each. This type of gamer generally buys everything, they'll have many gaming PCs, all the consoles but they will be mostly collecting dust.

Gamer 3)
    The type that got into gaming as a young kid, is one of those super-nerds you see a midnight launches, is super proud & very vocal about being a gamer. Being a gamer is their primary identity, everything they do in life revolves around games and they're not at all shy about telling the world. This type of gamer is often at gaming events such as LANs. This is the type of person you'd often find yelling about winning or losing. This type of gamer will often ask complete strangers in game stores what their favorite game or what server they play on. This type of game goes as far as buying clothing & trinkets related to their favorite video game characters. This type of gamer will own also generally buy all gaming related consoles/PCs and will generally spend time playing each and every system they own because they just love it so much.

Gamer 4)
    The type of gamer that just sees games as another fun activity. This type of gamer doesn't actively seek out games or information related to gaming. They'll often wait until people around them start playing a game and then this type of gamer will get back into the swing of it...but will quickly disappear from gaming very long periods of time. These types of gamers generally own Apple computers and 1 of the current generation consoles which will often be sitting collecting dust for prolonged periods of time while they spend most of their free time using their Apple computers as $3000 facebook machines.

What type of gamer are you?
    Last edited by Friendlychap; 2012-06-05 at 02:41 AM.

Half way between 2 and 4. I don't own an Apple computer and I don't collect consoles. A poll would've been nice.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Closest to 2. Don't own any consoles. Have more time to play than a couple hours a week, but I'm nowhere near gamer 1 or 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably 3, though not as extreme as you describe. I am a nerd, and I'm proud, though I don't shout it to the rooftops. Although people are usually surprised when I say I like anime or I am a big gamer, because... I suppose I don't look the type. I am passionate about gaming, and I want to get into the gaming industry as a career. I'd say I am mainly 3 with a dash of 1, because people usually don't peg me as the gamer type.

Defiantly a 1.

These are too damn specific.

I'm closest to 3. My entire life revolves around games, and the games industry - which makes sense for me, being an independent game developer. Not a day goes by that I am not actively doing something that involves video games, be it playing one or working on one.

Closest to 3, but I'm not that extreme or derpy.

I mostly am a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by xervyn View Post
    Defiantly a 1.
    Defiantly indeed?

10+ Year Old Account
    3 though not as loud don't shout if i win or loose but if i win i get a happy feeling

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    5.) Game to win. Play for pride and a sense of accomplishment.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

A mix between 1 and 3. I am not ashamed of my gaming habits, and most of my friends know that it's what I'm all about, but I don't go out and talk to random strangers about games and I don't really go to events (unless I'm really hyped :P). I don't look like a gamer and people I don't know very well like my coworkers have no idea.

I'm not any of those.

Go into gaming young, but see it as a hobby. I seek out information on my hobby and spent a large amount of money on my hobby, but I don't tell everyone I meet 'ZOMG GUYS I PLAY GAMESES!' I don't own Apple anything and I don't stop gaming for any real length of time.

Not sure, started as a young kid, not ashamed of it, but I'm not social and go to midnight launches and stuff, I only went to one my whole life.

10+ Year Old Account
    None. Can't really put most people into such few and narrow categories. Closest to 3 but not near any of them as a whole.

Between 1 and 3. I fit more into the 1 category, except that I am proud and vocal about my gaming. I don't mind talking about it in front of others and will sometimes even steer the conversation toward gaming if I get board. I will not go to midnight launches and such since I need my sleep and work, but I don't think anything negative about those who do. Each to their own I say. I want to be the best I can be, but I don't try to compete with others. As long as I know what I am doing (for example in WoW, I read about all fights and class basics) I don't care if I am best. I want to be happy with me.

My gaming time will be decreasing as I move more into the 2 category eventually when I add kids etc over the next few years (getting married in a little over 2 months). I hope my gaming will not decrease too much, but I am sure it will. Honestly kids have to come first and I am excited (though absolutely terrified) about the idea of being a parent in the upcoming years.

Deleted
    How the hell does being a proud gamer imediately imply being a geek who goes around asking complete strangers about their servers and buying every last piece of merchandise?

I don't fit any of those, they're too extreme.

None of those, closest to 2.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what wynnyelle said. I don't go crazy about games but I'm not ashamed that I play them.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have aspects of all 4!

3; Shootandkill absolutely nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Probably 3, though not as extreme as you describe. I am a nerd, and I'm proud, though I don't shout it to the rooftops. Although people are usually surprised when I say I like anime or I am a big gamer, because... I suppose I don't look the type. I am passionate about gaming, and I want to get into the gaming industry as a career. I'd say I am mainly 3 with a dash of 1, because people usually don't peg me as the gamer type.