Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Bad villains [spoiler]

Game is good, story is ok, but how the story is told is not that good, especially how the villains are presented.

All of the villains have some sort of hologram or mental connection which allow them to communicate to you directly, which most of the time seems unnecessary and could have been expressed differently.
    First of is Maghda and what she uses this ability to display some major stupidity by telling you where the next shard is, the rest of the time she just tells you how you will fail miserably every time you succeed in a task.This pattern continues and Azmodan and Diablo are particularly bad. They both sound like children trying to prove their superiority over you every time you beat em back. They are evil yes, but they appear stupid and i grew tired of their talking before i even reached them. A lot of their comments on your progress could have been done by minions or just left out in my opinion.

anyone else agree?

Deleted
    Absolutely, I noticed this on my very first playthrough. In D2 Mephisto and Diablo were rarely seen and the only exposure we had to Baal was when he would burn a cemetery or blow up a messenger. Never saw any of the bad boys in D3 do a single evil thing, they sat in their throne rooms taunting me like little kids and telling me exactly what their plans were and where I should go next. Oh hey Azmodan, thanks for telling me exactly where your armies will attack in that cinematic! i don't know how we would have known where to go for Act 3 if you weren't such a chum!

The lord of lies is worse at lying than the 10 year old child he impersonates and his lieutenant Magdha spent most of her time telling me very truthfully exactly what I had to do next to beat her. Azmodan and Diablo would not stfu about how superior they were and how their latest plan (thanks for telling me it btw) would kill me, and to top it all off the "messages" from them towards their minions that you find as texts in the game sound cheesy and pathetic.

One of the bigger disappointments in the game tbh. The story had potential to be quite good and the voice acting isn't bad but the script and storytelling are abysmal.

Agreed completely. It was a way of telling a story and it was rather stupid.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The dialogue reminded me of something I wrote in like 3rd or 4th grade.

I probably could have banged the story out by about 9th grade, no problem.

Really, really, really poor writing.

Yes, definitely. It is probably my only major gripe with the game, seeing how other flaws can and probably will be fixed over time, but this mediocre clichéd storytelling will stay the same forever, haunting us with it's banality for years to come.

Still waters run deep.

The story is simply an after thought in this game. Some one very soon will come into this thread and say something along the lines of "HEY ITS DIABLO DON'T EXPECT A GOOD STORY" or "HEY IT"S A HACK N SLASH DON"T EXPECT A GOOD STORY" and I don' think that's justification for it being crap one god damned bit. Why bother putting it in the game if they were only gonna half ass it anyway?

i completly disagree

The story itself, the pieces and people in it, are good. The thoughts behind them works well.

However, the executed story just doesn't do any good at all. D2 had some pretty good, though not the best story either. But that was 12 years ago. D3, being a modern game, and given Blizzards history in being able to make some pretty good lore (Thinking Warcraft III here), I was majorly let down.

Half assed lines, terribly done scenarios, unbelivably predictable happenings?
    I enjoyed the story enough to not hate the game, but I really hope Blizzard will get their act together for any future expansions.
    It's a shame to see it go down this line, I had more hopes to it.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

Maghda was definately stupid, but I really like how Azmodan was. Sure he was cheesy, but it was clear that there was one thing in his personality that dominated the rest: Pride. He was always too proud to admit that you had dealt him a fatal blow, and guess what, pride is one of the seven deadly sins. They didn't call him The Lord of Sin for nothing.

Diablo was fine for me, only thing I didn't like was ''Look Tyrael, your old lieutenant'', that was just odd.

i disagree wario. just because asmodan was touted as a "master strategist" of the underworld. yeah, all master strategists i know tell me all of their plans while i still have time to defeat them, lol.

"your defeat is inevitable, as long as you don't push the red button! muahaha! .... wait, wtf you pushed the red button! o well, i still have my trusty green button..."

OH god yes, the storytelling was beyond awful in D3. The voice acting was superb, which is odd since games usually fail at either voice acting or the narrative.

A certain line from act 4 comes to mind, diablo is taunting the player and says something along the lines of:
    You will be too slow, JUST LIKE YOU ALWAYS HAVE BEEN.

It's like, oh no you didn't. -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ingame story hasn't been that attractive since D1 - The backstory is where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

What a travesty, the dialogue that you have skipped through since beating normal for the first time is cheesy. A TRAVESTY I SAY!

I agree though that Maghda and Belial were just... wtf on some things they said. Didn't think Diablo was bad, Azmodan on the other hand made perfect sense - that's his entire character. But yeah, how dare they have cliche villains in a game about the most cliche villains ever conceived by man. I thought Hell was known for its ambiguity and moral gray gaiz! Mah immersion noooooooooooo!

I thought the real problem with the villians was that they just talked too damn much.

Diablo 1 and 2, they didn't talk you half to death, they just charged you.

Hell, in D2 all the bosses ever said were their fairly badass in-combat emotes. This time around we got long, thought out speeches making the lords of hell into rampaging angry intellectuals.

I liked them better when they were foaming-at-the-mouth rabid and just yelled things like "Not even death can save you from me!"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    What a travesty, the dialogue that you have skipped through since beating normal for the first time is cheesy. A TRAVESTY I SAY!

I agree though that Maghda and Belial were just... wtf on some things they said. Didn't think Diablo was bad, Azmodan on the other hand made perfect sense - that's his entire character. But yeah, how dare they have cliche villains in a game about the most cliche villains ever conceived by man. I thought Hell was known for its ambiguity and moral gray gaiz! Mah immersion noooooooooooo!
    There is a difference between evil and stupid.

The bosses in D3 weren't particularly evil, but they were plenty stupid.

It reminded me of random bad guys from Scooby Doo.

I kept expecting to pull off Azmodan's mask and have him be the caretaker of the New Tristram Cemetary or something.

"And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky Nephalem!" *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    I kept expecting to pull off Azmodan's mask and have him be the caretaker of the New Tristram Cemetary or something.

"And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky Nephalem!" *shakes fist*
    LOL Thank you sir! You have brightened what has otherwise been a dreary morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post

That would have been... so much better! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    i completly disagree
    People that agree that the story is bad: bring compelling arguments.
    People that don't agree: your post saying you simply don't agree.

See what's wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Diablo was fine for me, only thing I didn't like was ''Look Tyrael, your old lieutenant'', that was just odd.
    that drove me insane. your old lieutenantyour old lieutenantyour old lieutenantyour old lieutenant. stfu diablo >:[
    (was getting 400ms when trying to kill him on hell but felt like i should keep going anyways >.< )

anyways i agree. tho i'm glad theres speech often to listen to.
    Last edited by strangebreed; 2012-06-05 at 01:16 PM.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sorry but, the villains do exactly what villains are expected to do.

If i were a 10 thousand years old demon, with an army of 10 thousand demons, i would brag about my absolute powers aswell.
    They are not bad villains, they are villains that are doing what any cliche villain would do.
    I didnt figure out that the little kid was belial until one of his last aparitions (i didnt read spoilers about him), i mean, i suspected it, but didnt know for sure, was like thinking "well, lord of lies, he is probably tricking the kid or is the kid himself", but thats me as a player thinking, not what my character would be thinking.
    You need to separate what you from your character when reading a story or playing one (ie: roleplaying).

As for diablo, he barely speaks to you, honestly, there are times in act 4 that i feel lonely, hoping that someone will talk to me.
    The tactic that azmodan uses, showing illusions of him bragging about his vast army, is to terrorize and demoralize the soldiers (and worked pretty well until you arrived there to save the day).

Of course they will sound and look different from the villains in diablo 1 and 2, those didnt even speak to the player at all, he wasnt even known to them until they showed in their room with swords (and staves) drawn. They were bothered with their tasks (summon a demon lord) and not being chased down by adventurers.

The difference being bhaal, he was a diva, he was the center of attentions, and his soldiers made the same claims that the villains in diablo 3 do ("you will never defeat me").

Maybe you guys are forgetting what actually happened in diablo 1 and 2 because it wasnt voiced over.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2012-06-05 at 01:21 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.