Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Talking The official "Why Tauren can be paladins" theory

My theory to why some of the Tauren have ditched their earth mother and converted is this: In the book by Christie Golden "The Shattering", Anduin gives Baine Bloodhoof a paladins mace as a "gift". Unless there is some reason unknown to me to why taurens can be pally's, my theory is that Bain ran home to TB with his new holy hammer and said "alright guys, who wants to convert? i got myself this holy hammer here, lets smite down some foes with this sucker". That is the only indication I've seen so far of to why taurens can be pallys, unless there is some hidden lore I haven't seen, this is how it is guys.

Other possible theories include: "Because we can", "How come Ally gets pallies, we want to be them", "Blizzard accidently added tuaren pallys and have yet to notice the bug", "Because gods are cooler than earth mothers", and "just because it makes more sense for a holy cow to run around smiting people than it does for a gnome to pick up a bow and start being a hunter".

But seriously, is that the reason? Is because of Anduin gave Baine King Magni's holy hammer part of the reason Taurens can be paladins?
    Discuss.......or insult my lame theory, the choice is yours.
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Simple really.
    Gameplay > Lore

Tauren paladins are funny, so here they are.

I'm still waiting for my gnome hunter and orc druid
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    How hard is it to understand druids worshipping the Sun?
    An'she is their deity that connects them with source energy of the light.

You're about a year and a half late to bring this up.

Taurens can't be Paladins. They're Sunwalkers.

Plays the same, but from a lore perspective is completely different.

They're essentially Druids of the Sun, seeking balance in nature.

Also, a hammer is a symbolic Paladin weapon. That does not make it a symbolic Sunwalker weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tauren believe that the moon and sun are the eyes of the earth mother. Giving reverence to the sun is in no way "ditching" the earth mother. The entire point was to honor the earth mother even more because they felt the night elves put too much emphasis on the moon alone.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    You're about a year and a half late to bring this up.

Plays the same, but from a lore perspective is completely different.

They're essentially Druids of the Sun, seeking balance in nature.

Also, a hammer is a symbolic Paladin weapon. That does not make it a symbolic Sunwalker weapon.
    Ahhhh I've never heard that before, but it makes sense. Thanks
    "Far left is communism, far right is Anarchy, be aware that you do not stray to far either way”
    "If we are confronted with differences in opinion, the chemicals that are released in the brain are the same ones that try to ensure our survival in dangerous situations."

10+ Year Old Account
    You are like one expansion late.

They released the Lore about Tauren Paladins long ago, they are Sunwalkers , as said above.

They follow the sun, which is comparable to the light. Gameplay wise its the same thing, but they are not technically paladins.

An extract from Wowpedia:

The Sunwalkers are an order of tauren paladins introduced in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. They were founded by Aponi Brightmane after a series of theological discussions with Tahu Sagewind about the importance of balancing out the night-elven focus on moon-worship through reverance of light as part of their worship of the Earth Mother. As such, the Sunwalkers are warriors who wield the power of An'she, the sun in tauren mythology. These 'paladins' exist alongside the renewed Seers, tauren priests led by Tahu Sagewind who also wield the power of An'she. The emergence of the Sunwalkers is a sign of both troubling times and the unending duty the tauren race has to the Earth Mother, in which hope is their greatest weapon.
    If you have played a Tauren paladin, even their trainers speak about it, "The light of the Sun illuminates the path to wisdom.”

10+ Year Old Account
    But do we really need justified lore for this kind of thing.
    I think every race/class should be possible. I do value lore, I even read the books, but I'd have more fun with total freedom of race/class than simply accepting that X could never be Y because of Z.

Sunwalkers, a quite quick lore-mumbo-jumbo thrown together to sorta justify TAURENS being PALADINS. And I'm completely fine by that. Heck, I wouldn't even complain if they added orc druids with the lore reason that some orc named Lars liked kittens and somehow turned into one and started a shapeshifting kindergarden in Orgrimmar named Lars' Kitten Fun Park

They may as well just let every race be all classes, They have had plenty of time to 'learn'.

Deleted
    Taurens can be paladins because the people that worked on vanila wow are focused on Titan
    This was actually acknowledged by that dude with a goatee that works on the lore, those people knew the essence of warcraft what it was, what it was suppose to be and what it could never be. Since they are no longer focused on that (although sometimes they are asked questions by their new collegues) the new people can do what they want (to an extent) just as long as the numbers are high.
    So the milk is drawn along with the soul to the maximum

As far as lore goes

I can KINDA understand how blood elves can harvest "the light" given their addiction and centuries old knowledge of magic.
    But never the shamanistic cows, drawing from the sun is for shamans only, and even if they would do it it would be something diferent, maybe a priest - Never a paladin
    Never a crazy zealot - undead obcessed religious warrior.

"The light of the Sun illuminates the path to wisdom.”
    Then you are at best a priest. Never a paladin
    Something that comes (even though blizzard never liked to dig much into it) straight out of religion.
    They can say they are sunwalkers but when the name and abilities of the class are the same, kinda makes that argument go away
    Last edited by mmoc0aa45d37f2; 2012-06-04 at 09:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Sunwalkers are Paladins.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    Taurens can be paladins because the people that worked on vanila wow are focused on Titan
    This was actually acknowledged by that dude with a goatee that works on the lore, those people knew the essence of warcraft what it was, what it was suppose to be and what it could never be. Since they are no longer focused on that (although sometimes they are asked questions by their new collegues) the new people can do what they want (to an extent) just as long as the numbers are high.
    So the milk is drawn along with the soul to the maximum
    Actually no. The opposite was confirmed. Metzen (goatee guy) and just about everyone else at Blizzard has confirmed over, and over again that there is no "team a" or "team b". A lot of people have been moved to Titan true, but that means squat in terms of the actual lore and reasoning for the class-combos, since Metzen is still the main lore guy - who is busy on all the projects.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I for one like seeing my big tauren paladins comrades in battle. They reassure me that they have my clothie back.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    Sunwalkers are Paladins.
    Not really. Just like Blood Knights and Exarchs aren't paladins either. Only humans and dwarves are truly paladins. However the Sunwalkers, Blood Knights and Exarchs are gameplaywise paladins simply because this is the closest thing available.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    This seems to be about a year or two too late

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Actually no. The opposite was confirmed. Metzen (goatee guy) and just about everyone else at Blizzard has confirmed over, and over again that there is no "team a" or "team b". A lot of people have been moved to Titan true, but that means squat in terms of the actual lore and reasoning for the class-combos, since Metzen is still the main lore guy - who is busy on all the projects.
    Guess what ?
    They were lYING
    *shock and awe*
    They would be crucified if they would admit that their veteran talent was focusing on a another project rather than on what you spend your hard earned cash
    Sure they ask a question or two but the late decisions are all attributed to the new team and the new greed side of blizzard that has popped up (surprisingly and sad)
    And the last months show it

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    This seems to be about a year or two too late
    it is
    Sunwalkers are paladins.
    Same class.
    Diferent lore? could be true, if there was any lore to speak of to back this crap up.
    The explanation is diferent but the results are the same so it is the same (obviously), minus faction and hooves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    Guess what ?
    They were lYING
    *shock and awe*
    They would be crucified if they would admit that their veteran talent was focusing on a another project rather than on what you spend your hard earned cash
    Sure they ask a question or two but the late decisions are all attributed to the new team and the new greed side of blizzard that has popped up (surprisingly and sad)
    And the last months show it
    Activision Blizzard have 4500-5000 employees, who are any of us to speculate over how they alocate their resources?

Money > Lore. That's why

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AmplifyMagic View Post
    How hard is it to understand druids worshipping the Sun?
    An'she is their deity that connects them with source energy of the light.
    That's why Taurens are able to be druids. There is nothing about druids that makes them focus on the moon more than on the sun. It's just some mumbo-jumbo they came up with as a half assed excuse as to why we now have Tauren paladins. I still think it makes no sense and could never bring myself to making a Tauren paladin. Of course if other people don't mind it good for them but I myself think its ridiculous.