Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of my fondest memories of world PvP are of Starfiring someone flying over Halaa in TBC when Starfire could be talented to Daze... I watched soooooo many people fall to their death in the shallow pools of Nagrand.

On my shaman I use to fly up a little above people who were afk in the air on their flying mounts. Then I'd pop SWG, EM and any other CD I had, and just burst their health down as I dropped, with a parachute before I hit the ground.

I think before I did that I use to be able to just hex people so they'd fall to their death, it was much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea.

Expect lots of whining guys who just want to get some quest done and they can't. It could bring more ragequits than ever.
    Yup. Not to mention it puts some classes in a huge disadvantage. A ranged class can just use the item and take out a huge part of the other persons HP while he is still coming down. I'm all for WPvP at BMAH, but this change just makes me facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been waiting for this for a long time.

Gonna sit in the most PvP-intense area, pretending to be afk a bit above the ground... Wait for someone to knock me down hoping for an afk kill, then proceed to whop their ass.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

The "glory days" of vanilla were driven by a community, something which players and players alone dictated.
    They made world pvp happen and they killed it.

All this does is introduce another means of mindless ganking, which is all that most of the vocal supporters want.

World pvp is not about individuals, but about causing disruption, or simply sticking up a big come and get me sign.
    Blizzard are catering to a portion of the community who are completely ignorant to the fact that the world pvp description they are so keen to throw around is something which was lost a long time ago due to their actions only.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    Yup. Not to mention it puts some classes in a huge disadvantage. A ranged class can just use the item and take out a huge part of the other persons HP while he is still coming down. I'm all for WPvP at BMAH, but this change just makes me facepalm.
    I seriously don't understand the problem. Before flying mounts there was always the risk, it's simply bringing that back. Is it really that difficult to fly a few yards higher?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea.

Expect lots of whining guys who just want to get some quest done and they can't. It could bring more ragequits than ever.
    We got PvE servers for those people...
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Deleted
    As a Night Elf Druid, all I have to say is:- I get knocked down, But I get up again, nothing going to keep me down

Or without using Tubthumping, You shoot me down, I shadowmeld (to dump aggro), go into flight form, and do a brave Sir Robin

It is about individual people. One guy thinks he can go out and gank lowbies alone, and may be successful for a bit, until the gankee decides he's had enough and calls on his friends for help, causing the ganker to do the same, which ultimately leads to a nice little battle in some lowbie area. The defeated party then retreats to their capital and begins to spam trade to attack the opposing faction.

Or, turns out like two friends and myself do. We go outside storm wind and disrupt the duels going on out front. After half the city comes out and runs us off we retreat. About 30 minutes later ally is raiding orgrimmar.

The big things usually start from just one or two people messing around.

Unfortunately, this xpac there hasn't been that need to o out questing as much so a bunch sit in cities q'ing. Hopefully crossrealm zones will help some of that emptiness and bring back the rand WPVP started by random gankers.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The "glory days" of vanilla were driven by a community, something which players and players alone dictated.
    They made world pvp happen and they killed it.

All this does is introduce another means of mindless ganking, which is all that most of the vocal supporters want.

World pvp is not about individuals, but about causing disruption, or simply sticking up a big come and get me sign.
    Blizzard are catering to a portion of the community who are completely ignorant to the fact that the world pvp description they are so keen to throw around is something which was lost a long time ago due to their actions only.
    Last edited by Louis CK; 2012-06-06 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Some of my fondest memories of world PvP are of Starfiring someone flying over Halaa in TBC when Starfire could be talented to Daze... I watched soooooo many people fall to their death in the shallow pools of Nagrand.
    Halaa was the best and they should revamp it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamgar View Post
    Do i have to start list up the reason?

1: I transfered to this realm because blizzard gave my old realm a free transfer to this particular realm
    2: I have my guild on this realm, who i raid with.
    3: i have my ingame friends on this realm.
    4: transfering my whole guild, with all characters would cost thousands of dollars.

Need more?

Unless blizzard somehow gave out free,unlimited transfers to pve realms, your argument is extremely invalid.
    I just want to say, i understand the first 3, all people left your old server so you had to join, and all that with guild and friends, But
    For saying someone else point of view is invaild because he is right, if you dont like pvp dont be on a pvp server. but beside your stupidity for saying that, it cost what 15 dollars to move a character, that means 150 dollars to move all then, FOR fun lets say it cost 20 dollars and you feel like haveing ALL of them the other faction still 400, so unless there is a really big stupidity fee then i dont know how nr 4 make sence
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamgar View Post
    your argument is extremely invalid.

Deleted
    It's not hard to understand why PvP shouldn't be mandatory on PvP servers (that is outside of activities you expect to be risky).
    There are figures you simply can't ignore:
    #1 Dead PvE realms - problem plaguing the game for quite a lot, that people often need to play on specific realms for PvE, and those often are PvP ones, this moved quite a lot people who are not interested in PvP to those realms.
    #2 Dead PvP realms - the way the stuff works, you can't let anyone raid cities without eventually making them overrun by NPC, because you will simply NOT see cross-realm capitals, and often PvP realms are very badly balanced, resulting in completely ruined cities with no viable defense.
    #3 Game balance - as I said before, prerequisite of good pvp is removing bullshit that can never be balanced - mostly unreachable ranged characters or indefinitely long invisible characters.

I by no means suggest to remove PvP from PvP realms, what I mean is that there simply shouldn't be possibility to camp capitals if your faction has twice as much players and you simply have too much time.
    Also by no means there should be way to safely engage or disengage from PvP - if you want to do it, you should fight until it ends, and other players should be able to prepare for your attack. Griefing could be fixed with rework of resurrection system - offering players something more similar to TB/Wg system in the world.
    With this all, you'd be always subject to the PvP (unless you are in "green" land) and if you give it up, you are not punished for leaving it, yet you can't leave it easily without failing it first. People who were forced to roll on those realms for wrong policy would then not be forced to transfer away or learn to pvp, they could simply try abort their tasks without being punished way too hard or losing to much time.

And now what's Blizzard really done? There's absolutely nothing changing how certain skills works, freeing them for griefing, and unhampered disengage, which is not fair. They are leaving cities to be easily facerolled, not good at all either. Only thing that makes some sense is the dismount thing, allowing you to control better flying players so that they cannot enter fight unexpected. But it's still half-done, by flying just a bit higher they'll retain this advantage anyways.
    This is just a failure no real improvement, hope they'll bring more important stuff later.

Hopefully there is a cast time, I have no desire to be flying up high and have someone with a parachute or something dismount me in air and fall to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    It is about individual people. One guy thinks he can go out and gank lowbies alone, and may be successful for a bit, until the gankee decides he's had enough and calls on his friends for help, causing the ganker to do the same, which ultimately leads to a nice little battle in some lowbie area. The defeated party then retreats to their capital and begins to spam trade to attack the opposing faction.
    Except, no one does that anymore... On the exceptionally rare occation I even run into another player while leveling by questing and on the even more rare occation they camp me a few times, only one thing happens. I log onto a different toon and play somewhere else. By doing so, I deny him his "entertainment" and thus walk away the victor of the dispute.

Or, turns out like two friends and myself do. We go outside storm wind and disrupt the duels going on out front. After half the city comes out and runs us off we retreat. About 30 minutes later ally is raiding orgrimmar.
    Two-three people attack duelers outside city, two-three more people come to fight them off, the invaders die, and everyone goes back to doing what they were doing before uninterested in continuing a fight they've already won.

Unfortunately, this xpac there hasn't been that need to o out questing as much so a bunch sit in cities q'ing. Hopefully crossrealm zones will help some of that emptiness and bring back the rand WPVP started by random gankers.
    "Oh no, someone is killing me cross realms! What will I do!? Oh, I know! I'll go to another zone my level and phase this fool away."

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    Second, if you are on a PvP server you shouldn't whine about this, it sounds pathetic.
    No, pathetic is someone who camps a person 20 levels under them for hours at a time in hopes it will spawn a bigger fight. Kill someone at your level with gear at your level, otherwise, it's just being an ass.

Personally, "If it's red, it's dead" doesn't apply to me. I leave people to their business as long as their business doesn't involve hitting me because I hate it when people inturrupt me when I'm doing stuff, so I don't do it to them. Furthermore, I don't kill anyone lower level than me...unless they hit me first...then my pet gets a new chew toy.

I enjoy a little fight here and there, otherwise I wouldn't be on a (now empty) PvP realm in the first place, and it does add a little more feeling of "war" to the game that the other side can hit you if they want, but if I'm not in the mood to PvP, I avoid it.

A dismounting weapon seems a little....I dunno, cheap, even with the limitations it has. It's like saying "we want to encourage PvP, so here's more griefing tools". Personally, I'm not opposed to it because of the whole PvP item for PvP fighting. I just won't be buying/using one. If you're fighting someone and they manage to get on their mount and fly away, it means you didn't kill them fast enough and they earned their escape.

My 2c on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    The ironic thing about BMAH is that most PvPers don't have TONS of money (Notice that I said most, as in less than hardcore PvE players). So, what I excpect to see is some big monopolizing Auction house grinder that isn't gifted in PvE but hires some lackeys to protect him while he outbids everyone.
    Kinda like mafia/gangster style. Imagine the black market just full of Gladiator thugs making up a whole wall along with Boomkins, warlocks and mages spamming AoEs to prevent stealth and a handful of rogues/ferals hiding in the shadows just in case something goes wrong, all defending this "godfather" that's doing his illegal business.
    Pure win!
    You forgot the Hunter scout on the hilltop ready to snipe their head off when they run.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfield View Post
    Yes yes hell yes! there is nothing worst than you running to a player on a pvp realm, when he sees you, mounts up and flies away when you were just a second away from him...
    They out maneuvor you and should be penelized for it?

-----------------------

Most classes have ways of breaking/reducing falls: Levi, Slow Fall, Ice Block, Flight Form, Feline Grace, Heroic Leap, Goblins have Rocket Jump, Eng have Parachute, DKs have Glyph of Path of Frost, etc....

Speaking as someone on a PvP realm, I don't see the problem with the falling.

I'm personally waiting for this scenario:
    1) Ganker jackas....I'm sorry, "PvPer" X uses dismount weapon.
    2) Puts me into combat.
    3) Combat means I can use Disengage close to ground to break fall.
    4) Pet has despawned from the fall so I'm not combat locked.
    5) FD to break combat off me.
    6) Mount and fly away laughing at X for wasting dismount weapon and his failed fall kill...er...I mean "PvP".

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    As usual the wrong fix for the wrong problem.
    World pvp was killed by lack of demand only, and had nothing to do with flying.
    It was dying as soon as battlegrounds offered a more convenient, and more rewarding pvp experience to the majority.
    The community killed world pvp, not flying.
    World pvp is not ganking individuals.

The players chose the option which bribed them with rewards rather than the option which simply offered fun.
    And THIS is the only post that deserves a /thread.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2012-06-06 at 03:45 PM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

I doubt the item will let you fall to your death. I am thinking the best (I guess most fair way if they really want world PvP engaged vs. World ganking lolz) is that when the item is used it will create some sort of immunity wind let's say, where damage from falling is not taken and the other player won't be able to attack you until you land and said debuff clears. That would be the best way to ensure you're not lvl 90 farming herbs and some sob story level 87 mage gets mad, grips you down and pew pews your sorry self before you land and ends up beating you even if you're in full pvp gear just because of the being able to attack and get you mostly dead before you land and you just don't have enough life left because of the fall damage.

But even though I don't really like the idea of what this is...because I have a feeling it will be a while before they get it set up right and people will be able to glitch it like crazy at least for the first few months. I am sure the best way to make these available (aside from a new daily or gold) would be from honor points or maybe even conquest points. I mean really it depends on how many people can get a day by the means these are available. If it's honor points...then I am sure people will be doing it constantly. But if you only get like one a day from a daily then people are more willing to use them in cases they deem the most worthy...or at least save a bunch up and get in a raid group and go on a world pvp raid with their friends, which would be cool.

I don't think what they are trying to do is a bad thing. I think that some people will hate it...but I mean really if people on pvp realms really don't want to participate in world pvp they will just sit in the cap cities all day long regardless. So I really don't think it matters too much. As for raiding goes, even though people will have to travel to their spots to raid it's still not a big deal because once you get inside the raid portal. I just think people will have to learn to just fly to raids themselves instead of waiting to be summoned on days when world pvp is really bad outside...or just bring a warlock to every raid.

The only thing that bums me out about it is I was having a hard enough time getting my friend to play on my realm with me, now it's going to just be pointless to ask with some of these new features they are putting in. She hates being ganked in the game...I have accepted it's a part of being on a pvp realm and honestly if things get too bad I can always just go back and do what I want to do later in the game. Though I really don't understand how she gets ganked every time she plays. I have leveled 8 characters to 85 and have yet to be ganked once even during prime hours of the game. Oh well though.

I expect to die, and I expect to win some fights. Maybe the increased risk of world pvp will make it to where more people are willing to group up and quest together since they will constantly be at risk of getting ganked. Something like that would be really nice. To bring back the social aspect of the game opposed to everything in game is solo'd UNLESS it requires a group...but even then people try to solo it before grouping.

To anyone complaining that "they transferred to a PvP realm for free" or "their guild is on a PvP realm but they don't like PvP." That is 100% YOUR fault. The realms still had PvP and PvE attatched to them. Just like if they ever decide to "enforce" RP realms and you get banned or kicked from the realm, that is YOUR fault. Move now if you don't like it, but you should have never gone to a PvP realm unless you are willing to be ganked. You LITERALLY signed up for it.

Secondly, I am going to guess the dismount doesn't just dismount you and let you fall. I would think it'll have a decent CD (15-30 min?) and will be similiar to deathgrip by pulling them down to you. Maybe it'll dismount you and give you a chute but that still could float you to god knows where. Guess in the end we'll have to see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doranians View Post
    No being beat does not make the other person a jerk cuz you can't defend yourself.
    No I'm very certain that's called bullying. And yes. That does make you a jerk.

Let me come to your house and hit you with a baseball bat and call it "World PvP", then tell you I'm not a jerk for hitting you because you couldn't defend yourself. See how much you like that one.

Which is exactly what healers go through in world PvP in Cataclysm. So they REALLY better buff the healing role's abilities to sustain offense while maintaining defense, or they can kiss my 15 dollars a month good-bye.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    No I'm very certain that's called bullying. And yes. That does make you a jerk.

Let me come to your house and hit you with a baseball bat and call it "World PvP", then tell you I'm not a jerk for hitting you because you couldn't defend yourself. See how much you like that one.

Which is exactly what healers go through in world PvP in Cataclysm. So they REALLY better buff the healing role's abilities to sustain offense while maintaining defense, or they can kiss my 15 dollars a month good-bye.
    Wait... You want to be an offensive and defensive powerhouse as a healer? Doesn't that sound at least a little silly?

15+ Year Old Account
    While I'm at it, they BETTER announce somewhere that they have a plan to completely fix faction imbalance on all PvP realms. 80% of them are 7-1 in favor of one side (the vast majority of those being Horde), and the influx of world PvP only additions makes these servers a death sentence to anyone playing the minority faction, which will do nothing but make their gaming experiences completely miserable and cause them to quit entirely. Not pay for a server transfer, not faction change. Quit the game. Guilds of the minority faction will have hell trying to gain new recruits from other servers due to the imbalance, and the imbalance will steadily just get worse and worse until eventually, the people not interested win because everyone wanting to participate will have absolutely nobody left to target.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy McNasty View Post
    I'm all for world pvp and occasional ganking. But dismounting players off flying mounts seems a bit excessive. The durability loss from dying as a result of fall damage is enough to annoy a large amount of players. I don't see this lasting long.

An easy solution would be to disallow flying mounts. But we all know that will never happen.
    I can't imagine the dismount thing being anything else than a hook that pulls the player in (like the quest in twighlight highlands), it's meant to encourage pvp not one shotting someone because of falling damage.