Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Servers actually make more money when tips are commonplace so its better for them to get tips than to have a higher wage and not get any tip.
    So you pay more for the same thing in a system with tips. Why would you want to pay a higher price for something? o.O /boggle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    So you pay more for the same thing in a system with tips. Why would you want to pay a higher price for something? o.O /boggle
    It also means servers get paid a constant wage, they won't have to worry about getting low or no tips. Only the US has this awful system, it really is unfair.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Except this is how the world works. Increases in cost are passed on to the consumer.
    Did you...not read what I typed? I'm reading the words again, and that's exactly what I said.

The question is...why the hell doesn't the restaurant just increase their prices, like every other industry in the world? It's silly.

Tips are included in the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Not individually not people won't pay higher price for something, but If you had waiters working at minimum wage in a busy restaurant for lets say 8 hours at about $8/hr, then after 8 hours they would make $64. In the US scenario where tips customary but hourly wage is lower, in an 8 hour period in a busy restaurant, they usually make $5/hr and then whatever they make in tips which can varry greatly but to make more than minimum wage all they need to do is make $24 in tips, which isn't hard when usually a waiter will have more than one table and people usually tip 15-20% of their bill as a tip. Thats why many waiters can make up to a few hundred dollars in a night when they would have only made $64 at only an hourly wage.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually, the change. When my friend and I go out, we usually eat for $15-25. So I either pay with a $20, or pay with $20 and $10. If I'm by myself, and I eat like a $5-6 meal, I won't tip. Just not worth it.

As for ordering pizzas (I know, not what you were asking) I flat will not tip. The pizza places here charge upwards of $4 just for the 'delivery fee'; sorry, but there's your tip money. Complain to the company you work for, not me.

Back when I was enlisted and had more money than I knew what to do with, I was a STUPIDLY heavy tipper. If the waitress was hot, $20 tip. Doesn't matter if I only ate $10 worth of food. Sigh, I miss those days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Around 10%
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Good fight Thrall, oh btw, your wife is pregnant. SURPRISE!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's how I tip
    Self-Serve Buffet: Waiter/Waiteress only really refills my drink & most buffets are like $5 here: $1 tip (which I guess would be >20% depending on how much under $5 it was)
    Dinner that wasn't self-serve: Hmm, usually I'm with my spouse & in-laws & they handle the tipping, not sure on this one
    Pizza Delivery: $3 (it's a real small town, so they drove probably 5 mins, I'd tip more in a bigger city)
    Hair cut: Know someone that does it in exchange for computer work, last time I actually paid for one, I think I tipped $7 on a $33 cut (basically rounding to the nearest $20)

Deleted
    nothing usually, a few places include a small tip in the cost anyway, but that's quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    How much are you supposed to tip. I heard that some people even force people to tip. Personally I think the owner should pay his staff better so I don't end up having to pay for her wage. What is a fair tip?
    In the US 20% is the general rule for good service. Waitstaff in the US make well below actual minimum wage from the employer because they are in a tipping job so that is a significant part of their pay. So if minimum wage is say $9.50 waitstaff is getting $2.45 plus lunch maybe then they have to buy their uniforms, tip the bus staff and others. Good wait staff general do better then if they just got flat minimum wage.

I know when I have been to Europe they do include tips with prices. It's different there.

Its normal to leave 10% minimum here.
    More is welcome, less is fine too, since it depends on the service, too.
    I usually leave 10% for a normal meal, 15%-20% if the service was outstanding.

Now, a 10% tip on a dinner for two, amounts to close to (Or over, depending on desserts/alcohol) 1 hour of work wage for a waiter...

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I'm not really accustomed to tipping, being from Japan (in fact it's considered rude!).

Now living in the US, I usually tip 10% or 15% depending on the service. I think any more than that is ridiculous tbh.
    Wow, you do realize that, most servers in the US only make 1/3 of MINIMUM wage and also have to tip out around 3% of the sale to their busers. You tipping them only 10-15% = 7-12% actually or less....how would you feel if you had to PAY to wait on a table? If you dont want to adherre to the standard of 15-20% (for good service) then go back to Japan. We don't need you here.

Careful with the inflammatory remarks. - Mod
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-06-06 at 01:37 AM.

15-20% for real good service (and attractive waitress)
    10% of decent service.
    0% for needlessly bad service.
    Needlessly bad is when it's not very busy but the service is still slow and the wait staff is just being lazy.
    Also if a place is adding a mandatory tip they better tell me upfront or else I'm not paying that extra amount.

For delivery I couldn't say because I never get delivery.
    I hate tipping for a hair cut. I get a buzz cut, takes about 10 mins tops. Why should I tip over the $13 I'm already being charged?

Quote Originally Posted by mjk120199 View Post
    Wow, you do realize that, most servers in the US only make 1/3 of MINIMUM wage and also have to tip out around 3% of the sale to their busers. You tipping them only 10-15% = 7-12% actually or less....how would you feel if you had to PAY to wait on a table? If you dont want to adherre to the standard of 15-20% (for good service) then go back to Japan. We don't need you here.
    Or maybe you could do something about an industry getting away with not paying a reliable wage on the hopes of good tipping habits by the public? I know it's a lot easier to be passive aggressive though.

15-20% and I try to always leave cash as most restaurants make the servers pay the credit card fees of your transactions out of their tips (most don't even realize this). I was a bartender and its typical to leave $1 (at least, more if I do my flair routines) per beverage served. If people didn't tip at all at my bar we had the right to ignore them until they went to another bartender (there were up to 7 of us at a time) and if asked why we each had our own explanation. Mine was "Do you know what tips stands for?" They may say no or "to ensure proper service". After telling the ones that didn't know what it means I follow up with "You did not take out insurance!" or "You're uninsured." They never catch the twist of words but most people laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't tip unless I like my server. And I live in the US

I leave cash when I can
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    I tip 10%. Seems fair to me.

Unless the service was terrible, then €1 or less. It tells them the service was bad while no tip happens in the Netherlands and is not seen as wrong.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2012-06-05 at 08:29 PM.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

My girlfriend was a waitress at one time. When I go out to eat with her, I make her tip so she doesn't get pissy with me. Also save me some cash.

By myself, usually between 10-15%. If I get a bunch of food and the person was nice/sociable 15%. If I just order beer and a box of wings (it really isn't that difficult...) 10% especially considering how expensive beer is at a restaurant 10% is more than fair.

Most countries aside from America that I have been to do not expect tips and thus I do not tip them as their wages are fair.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Usually, the change. When my friend and I go out, we usually eat for $15-25. So I either pay with a $20, or pay with $20 and $10. If I'm by myself, and I eat like a $5-6 meal, I won't tip. Just not worth it.

As for ordering pizzas (I know, not what you were asking) I flat will not tip. The pizza places here charge upwards of $4 just for the 'delivery fee'; sorry, but there's your tip money. Complain to the company you work for, not me.

Back when I was enlisted and had more money than I knew what to do with, I was a STUPIDLY heavy tipper. If the waitress was hot, $20 tip. Doesn't matter if I only ate $10 worth of food. Sigh, I miss those days.
    You are aware that gas is close to 4 dollars a gallon here in the US. And even more overseas. 4 dollars seems very fair for delivery fee. Especially if you live in a medium to large city. I mean you should pick it up yourself if it's just you. Don't be lazy. But if its a group of friends everyone could chip in a dollar for delivery.