[Music] How many songs to warrant an iPod?

I've never been a big music person (I'm 29 now) and I think the last portable player I ever owned used cassettes. I don't hate music by any means but just not a lot of stuff strikes my fancy. I've never gotten a new portable player because I am under the assumption with such a limited amount of songs I would put on it (I started making a list and I've gotten to about 30 songs over the course of a month) that the shuffle system would get on my nerves and I'd get tired of the same songs over and over. Does anyone know about how many songs you really need to avoid this issue?

hmmm, this is a tough topic to approach because i don't really understand what you're asking. You know you don't HAVE to listen to an mp3 player on shuffle, right? You can have it play all your song in order. I get the feeling that you don't really want or need an mp3 player though, so again...not sure what kind of responses you were looking for.

Also, with that limited amount of songs, having a device for it seems like it'd be a waste. If you have a smart phone, maybe just put em on there? Maybe just upgrade to a phone that will play mp3s and eliminate the need for a second device? I dunno man, do whatever ya wanna do. :P

Even if your cell phone is quite dated you can probably use SD storage to hold the songs that you'd need. At any rate, I certainly wouldn't get an iPod given you apparent level of interest--go for something entry level that will work just as well.

I have an Android LG and to be honest I wouldn't have the first clue how to get songs on it. I've not even been able to figure out how to download ringers on it.

yeah i haven't listened to music in a long time, mostly because a lack of mtv or them not playing any.
    i know how you feel listening to the same songs over and over again for lack of anything else out there.

i was happy with just an mp3 cd player.
    as for ipods, when i get one i'll never settle for anything less than ipod classic.

well those cell phones, its usually 1 of 2 ways.
    it either comes up like an extra drive or you have to use an itunes like program.
    Last edited by lordcanyon; 2012-06-05 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That limit is entirely personal, OP. It also increases as your library expands and you listen to it more often. Honestly i felt VERY limited with an 8gig ipod touch in a pretty short amount of time (say 6 months). 700 songs is not alot at all once you have listenend to them all a handful of times.

I for myself will never go with anything less than 32 gigs anymore.

It's been a while since I've used an Android phone. I believe if you hook it up to your PC and turn it on USB Mass Storage mode (this should pop up automatically) you should be able to browse the folders from My Computer in Windows. Somewhere in there is a folder that you can drag your songs to. Shouldn't be hard to Google.

Deleted
    with just 30 songs i wouldnt bother, build up your library first then get one

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    I have an Android LG and to be honest I wouldn't have the first clue how to get songs on it. I've not even been able to figure out how to download ringers on it.
    the process will be extremely similar to adding songs to a normal mp3 player, so you're gonna have to learn one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by causeforconcern View Post
    Shouldn't be hard to Google.
    this

I don't see the need for standalone mp3 players at all anymore... Just get a decent smartphone with a microSD slot and load it up with music/videos. Even if you don't want to spring for a smart phone there are tons of older phones that have built in mp3 capabilities/sd slots. One less device to mess around with, and you always have it with you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually just keep all my songs on my phone. It's less to carry around and has more functions. You don't even need to invest in an iPhone or expensive smartphone. A lot of phones <100$ will play mp3's and you can put them on a 1 or 2GB microSD card.

Lets say you get an ipod that holds.... 32 gigs of music. Lets also assume that every song you get is 10 mb and is~4 minutes long.
    Rough math says you'll be holding around 3000 songs. At 4 minutes a pop. that's 8+DAYS of music it holds. There are 250gb ipods, and I believe one that's 500gb... but that's more for movies, they're like 4gb a pop in high quality.

I use an android phone and I have MOG on it, $10 bucks a month for unlimited music downloads and streaming music. I have at the moment 1700 songs taking up 24gb on a 32gb sd card.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Lets say you get an ipod that holds.... 32 gigs of music. Lets also assume that every song you get is 10 mb and is~4 minutes long.
    Rough math says you'll be holding around 3000 songs. At 4 minutes a pop. that's 8+DAYS of music it holds. There are 250gb ipods, and I believe one that's 500gb... but that's more for movies, they're like 4gb a pop in high quality.

I use an android phone and I have MOG on it, $10 bucks a month for unlimited music downloads and streaming music. I have at the moment 1700 songs taking up 24gb on a 32gb sd card.
    Its just my taste in music is limited. I don't listen to music just to have entertainment, even if a song plays on the radio I'm not too keen on I'll turn it down and just enjoy observing/listening to the world around me.

I'm not so sure it's the amount of music, as it is the price. I have burned a CD with only one song on it before, because I wanted to hear it (a lot), and I didn't have time as I was running out of the house to think of more songs to put on it. It was only one song, but it only cost me a few cents.

So the question is, are you comfortable spending the money? I like the suggestions people gave of using your phone. It's something you already have.

All that said, the biggest problem some people have (and it seems you are like me) is making that list. You LIKE more then thirty songs, you just can't think of them. I have hundreds or thousands of songs, and I sometimes find it hard to think of twenty that I want to dump on a CD.

If you are comfortable spending the money, then do what I do. Listen to the radio, streaming media, the jukebox at the bar... with an ear for a song that you like. WRITE DOWN the name of the song, and download it later. Even if you only download a song a day, or every other day, within a few months or so you will have a collection to listen to for a while...

Until you get sick of it. You always get sick of it... no matter how big the collection. So you switch genres, go back to the radio, listen to a friends ipod, etc until you have an even bigger collection. Then the process repeats.

Sounds expensive and boring so far? He's the good thing. In this process you discover lots of songs. You find songs you like and download them. You go back to your ipod and you rediscover songs that you like but you forgot you had... You find a new genre or music that you like... It's all part of the love of music. I needed a 7 hour playlist for a long drive, so I just speed clicked through my music collection making the playlist... I found like 10 hours worth of songs that I love, 1/3 of which I'd completely forgotten about.

Sure, I didn't answer your question, but hopefully gave you things to think about.