Poll: Would you take a one way ticket to Mars

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Considering our first four would likely be top flight engineers, doctors, and probably biologists with no pre-existing conditions, and healthy psychological states. Coupled with the fact i have no skills that match those, and love solid ground too much to want to leave it. I think I'll leave the history making to someone who either:
    A: Is at peace with family conditions
    B: Is ok with being a integral part of human history at the cost of anything resembling a stable life.
    C: also be living in a state of probably 100% constant terror of the world that there is absolutely no control of any kind outside of a tiny, metal pod.
    D: At peace with their destiny.

If you are willing to take that enormous kind of risk to be remembered in the pages of history, i salute you and would buy you a steak dinner for your last night on earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

I'd love to do it. That would be a one-way ticket to the history books. I just would worry about the company who is sending the colonists going under and not getting any more supplies. And of course the habitat leaking. And of course an accidental disaster that causes the mission to be a nail in the coffin for ever terraforming Mars.
    Stabby stab stab.
    Avatar courtesy of Kelly Aarons of woweh.com

Deleted
    Hell No!.... Man I've got FIVE kids to feed!

I'd wait a couple generations until the facilities are better and all health hazards have been assessed and addressed.

So, no I wouldn't go to Mars in my lifetime. Maybe 60 year after the first settlement is founded.

Nope, I love my earth :3

Sure when they lay down cabels for fiber!

lets see. There is a chance that everyone will go mad and we kill each other. Or, the earth betrays us and we come 100 years later back, with a far advanced civilisation, and kill all the earthlings! \ o / I would still go, because the chance is high that I'm the one who goes insane.

That's like asking "do you want to live in a trailer in death valley"? That's about the same level of fun and comfort.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    I would go there if it's 100% safe and I could travel back and forth between Earth and Mars. But a one-way ticket? Nah, thanks. Earth is interesting enough.

Not being able to go outside for fresh air...cba.

I would love to go to Mars, even one way.

But there are problems with this particular project. First of all, I would not like to be an entertainment for people back on Earth. Second, astronauts report significant drop in their eyesight after prolonged (several months) exposure to zero-gravity. This means that any colonists going to Mars will arrive with impaired eye sight which can cause big problems in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I studied Aerospace Engineering at the University of Colorado, and I currently work in the satellite industry. My coworkers and I were talking the other day, and we came up with an estimate for the cost of traveling to Mars (1 way trip as well), 2 trillion USD.

Granted it might not cost that much, and the idea to raise money via media is an excellent idea, but I think these independent groups severely underestimate the cost of these things sometimes.

One thing that would work for them, is that they really don't need scientists/engineers to go with them. The chances of a 4 person crew really being able to fix things without ground support is very minimal, plus nobody wants to watch reality TV about engineers. The shuttle crew actually did very little without ground support, and what they did do was execute documented procedures. Only on extremely rare circumstances did they just "come up with a solution" on the fly, and most times it didn't work and the ground crew bailed them out. 1 of the 4 might be a crew leader of some sort, but it really wouldn't be necessary to have engineers flying, because they wouldn't be able to fix much.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

If I had a long term illness that there was no cure for and it wouldn't impede my ability to set the colony up, I'd volunteer.

Otherwise, you'd have to make sure several generations of my family were set up for life.