Poll: How large is your music library?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Music] How large is your library?

Curious to see how large my fellow forum poster's libraries are. Presently I'm at around 6,000+ songs.
    Last edited by Hemoglobin; 2012-06-06 at 07:47 AM.

Deleted
    5,000+

Growing slowly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as my only stored music is on my phone, it is approximately 65 or so songs.

Deleted
    I have roughly 250 songs. I'm pretty picky in terms of what I buy.

About 4000 songs, the vast majority of which I bought 20 some years ago.

I refuse to let Grunge die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don’t buy songs, waste of money. I listen to my playlists on Spotify. I have 4 playlists with a total of around 350 songs. I don’t need more

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I don’t buy songs, waste of money. I listen to my playlists on Spotify. I have 4 playlists with a total of around 350 songs. I don’t need more
    First I will say that I don't use Spotify, don't even know what it is. Don't really care much either.

Simple fact of the matter is, if your favorite artists aren't making any money, then the producers don't want them. So your favorite artists get dumped for more Brittany Spears wannabes.

Is that a good thing? I suppose if you like Brittany Spears it is. But for the rest of the population that prefers music with actual feeling and soul, it's not.

If you like an artist, pay for them. I know I've bought nearly every album I have on my computer (barring Marilyn Manson, don't ask), but I know that every cent I sink into a band I love (Hello Chickenfoot), means that I am contributing to them producing more music that I love.

Legal music streaming sites pay a fee to the record label or to a central music rights organisation that then distributes the money amongst the artists.

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    237 GB / 11 weeks 6 days 8 hours 27 minutes and 38 seconds / 1902 Artists / 27899 songs

It should be noted that I have not ripped all my physical albums to digital.

10+ Year Old Account
    2000+ although, I only started liking music earlier this year.

Deleted
    Around 300 songs ...Yohohoho if you know what I mean

I think its just over 300... although i actually listen to all my music, i hate when people brag about how they have so many songs like you most likely only listen to a quarter on them.

Deleted
    What do you count things like Spotify as...
    My starred playlist only has 26 tracks atm, but add and remove all the time from their millions :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    If you like an artist, pay for them. I know I've bought nearly every album I have on my computer (barring Marilyn Manson, don't ask), but I know that every cent I sink into a band I love (Hello Chickenfoot), means that I am contributing to them producing more music that I love.
    This also includes buying their music at the right place. I can inform you that if you buy physical CDs from a store, for example, the amount of money that goes to the artist is miniscule. This is the case for many online stores as well.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    ~12,000/150GB/42 days play time. Still have quite a few unripped CDs as well which would add at least another 3500-4000 songs (advantage of having parents who listen to a lot of similar music )

Deleted
    Simple fact of the matter is, if your favorite artists aren't making any money, then the producers don't want them. So your favorite artists get dumped for more Brittany Spears wannabes.
    Spotify pays the artist to allow them to put their songs on Spotify fyi.

I have 684 songs total, only 224 are on my playlist.
    Last edited by anveena; 2012-09-15 at 05:31 AM. Reason: for clarification

21151 songs /66 days 23 hours 16min 25sec total time / 179.36 gb

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    I think its just over 300... although i actually listen to all my music, i hate when people brag about how they have so many songs like you most likely only listen to a quarter on them.
    How do you define what music you listen to out of your collection? I've heard every single song in my collection at least one time. This doesn't mean I like all of them, far from it. Some of it have much emotional investment, a lot of it is stuff I sort of liked, and will get back to. There comes a point where your library gets too large to realistically remember most of your music. I've averaged around eight-nine albums per day on and off for a couple of years, with a quest to always hear something better. After a certain limit it is just not feasible to regularly listen to your entire library.

Surely there are lots of hoarders out there that would download an entire discography after hearing a song on youtube. But that's a different story completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    This also includes buying their music at the right place. I can inform you that if you buy physical CDs from a store, for example, the amount of money that goes to the artist is miniscule. This is the case for many online stores as well.
    This is an incredibly valid point. I make a conscious effort to always purchase stuff directly from the label, and never to purchase anything off of a major label (unless it's one of those sweet vinyl reissues - I'm a big sucker for those).

I'm at 20k+, but have slowed down ever since getting Spotify Premium