Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Couple things I don't like about MWs...

Chi wave takes forever from range to reach the target, it has a stupidly low travel time which is incredibly frustrating. I love it when it does what it's supposed to and bounces like crazy, it's been my #1 heal at times, other times it's 90% of the time, non-existant. it somehow always manages to bounce off the tank it slowly travels to and goes to a mage way the hell away. I can't use it on a ranged, because it'll just be totally worthless. Why can't it fire like renewing mists, yeah, I love the look and how it changes colors, and flies through the air...I don't like it taking forever to do what it's supposed to before my target is dead or topped off.

I think Zen Sphere needs to function more like holy radiance, or a HoT that explodes. The fact it takes 4 chi to effectively AoE heal with it is really, really stupid.

I really dislike how renewing mists and uplift functions, I never seem to be in a situation where uplift can be used, unless I can perfectly time my thunderbrew tea when there's about to be big aoe damage on EVERYONE, otherwise it's like my renewing mists targets are never at low hp. Dropping the chi for mana is horrible as well.

We're also terrible tank healers, where all other healing classes can do it quite well for different reasons. I feel like we're not the masters of AoE or the masters of tank healing. Soothing mists isn't enough in a raid to heal, if you don't have 3 chi you can't use your burst whenever you choose, you can't use chi wave because your tank will be dead before it reaches them, and you'll be forced to oom yourself spamming surging mists. I don't think there's any excuse for us to have been made to not be able to effectively tank heal.

I enjoy melee healing, but sometimes chi seems like a horrible restriction for what the class could be doing.
    Last edited by La; 2012-10-12 at 01:02 PM.

Not sure what you are talking about, MWers have excellent AoE healing. Just keep Renewing Mist on everyone, and Uplift as necessary. Chi Wave when no Uplift is necessary, and you'll dominate. Chi Wave is a smart heal, it will go from the tank to the mage out at max range if there are no melee with missing health. Use it with that in mind.

For big raid hits you have Revival and Thunder Brew, and if you have Chi Brew it makes it makes it pretty face roll.

Tank healing definitely blows, it's far too mana inefficient. But it is excellent burst. I find that I do well enough with Chi Wave and Eminence, and the other healers can contribute the rest. If the tank needs extra healing, I'll drop Soothing and either Enveloping or Surge depending on the amount of Chi I have.

If you don't like the Chi restrictions on AoE healing, you could always use the Uplift glyph. I haven't used it b/c Im running on fumes by the last leg of fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoris View Post
    How was your mana for that fight though, since your using the glyph.
    As long as I remembered to pop Mana Tea on CD, it wasn't too bad. I have fairly low spirit though, so that's part of the problem. Fully buffed with spi flask and food, I'm at around 7600 Spirit :/

Im tanking healing stoneguard on hc and i dot have a problem at all to keep the tank up at that fight, EnvMist is soooo powerfull

Tank healing simply isn't what we're supposed to be good at, just as resto druids aren't good at it aswell. Who says that we wouldn't be good at Aoe healing should maybe stop playing mistweaver.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Couple things I don't like about MWs...

Chi wave takes forever from range to reach the target, it has a stupidly low travel time which is incredibly frustrating. I love it when it does what it's supposed to and bounces like crazy, it's been my #1 heal at times, other times it's 90% of the time, non-existant. it somehow always manages to bounce off the tank it slowly travels to and goes to a mage way the hell away. I can't use it on a ranged, because it'll just be totally worthless. Why can't it fire like renewing mists, yeah, I love the look and how it changes colors, and flies through the air...I don't like it taking forever to do what it's supposed to before my target is dead or topped off.

I think Zen Sphere needs to function more like holy radiance, or a HoT that explodes. The fact it takes 4 chi to effectively AoE heal with it is really, really stupid.

I really dislike how renewing mists and uplift functions, I never seem to be in a situation where uplift can be used, unless I can perfectly time my thunderbrew tea when there's about to be big aoe damage on EVERYONE, otherwise it's like my renewing mists targets are never at low hp. Dropping the chi for mana is horrible as well.

We're also terrible tank healers, where all other healing classes can do it quite well for different reasons. I feel like we're not the masters of AoE or the masters of tank healing. Soothing mists isn't enough in a raid to heal, if you don't have 3 chi you can't use your burst whenever you choose, you can't use chi wave because your tank will be dead before it reaches them, and you'll be forced to oom yourself spamming surging mists. I don't think there's any excuse for us to have been made to not be able to effectively tank heal.

I enjoy melee healing, but sometimes chi seems like a horrible restriction for what the class could be doing.
    I think you're missing out on a few major parts of monk healing, one is that our heal talents aren't straight upgrades but alternatives which can be used to handle a certain predicament. For example, Chi Wave is for small group situations, Zen Sphere for the ability to plan a huge pre-emptive heal on a lot of stacked players and Chi Burst for a great linear placement heal.

The other part is that Monk Healing is largely planned ahead of time, especially the uplift and TFT ReM combination. You can quite easily top 2/3rd's of your raid if you can plan it properly. Picking up the glyph is hugely situational and if you're trying heroic Stone Guard or any other fight where mana isn't an issue it's a must have imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have a question about leveling...I'm just planning to come back to the game this week hopefully and I'm really interested in monks but I haven't read a lot about them thus far.

I fully plan to be a mistweaver when I'm max level and for any dungeons while leveling. However, I plan to level mostly by questing. I'm wondering if it's viable at all to level as a mistweaver or if I'm better off going for the dps spec while leveling? Also, I have a bunch of heirloom gear I want to use for the xp boosts however I never leveled a leather wearer with heirloom gear before so it's all cloth caster gear. I'm curious if I will need to worry about having melee type stats on my heirloom gear if I'm rolling a dps spec to level and if so if wearing the cloth caster heirloom gear would hinder me that much while leveling?

I have the cloth helm, shoulders, chest, cloak, staff, ring (from the fishing tourny) and both trinkets and am planning on getting the legs as soon as I'm able to join my guild.

Thanks.

right for feng, Chi burst or zen Sphere? really have hard to choose. since on arcane zen sphere would be better and for fire. but the 2 other Chi burst seems better

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    right for feng, Chi burst or zen Sphere? really have hard to choose. since on arcane zen sphere would be better and for fire. but the 2 other Chi burst seems better
    The better question is why aren't you spending your chi on Uplift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    The better question is why aren't you spending your chi on Uplift.

I've been asking this myself a lot recently. Is there any use for our Lvl30 talents in a 25m hc environment? Uplift is just SO strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    I've been asking this myself a lot recently. Is there any use for our Lvl30 talents in a 25m hc environment? Uplift is just SO strong.
    Chi burst is sick if your raid is stacked in 1 spot. 2 chi for 30k heal (non crit) on 25 targets? MUCH better than Uplift, by far.

Situation where this happens :
    1. Feng during arcane phase, fire phase and possibly epicenters
    2. Garalaj, pretty much during all the fight when not in the spirit world
    3. Spirit kings, during the 1st one (cleaves) and the MC phase

Didnt try elegon and the last boss much yet, but you get my drift

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    Chi burst is sick if your raid is stacked in 1 spot. 2 chi for 30k heal (non crit) on 25 targets? MUCH better than Uplift, by far.

Situation where this happens :
    1. Feng during arcane phase, fire phase and possibly epicenters
    2. Garalaj, pretty much during all the fight when not in the spirit world
    3. Spirit kings, during the 1st one (cleaves) and the MC phase

Didnt try elegon and the last boss much yet, but you get my drift
    Except you forgot the 6 person DR

Quote Originally Posted by Affiniti View Post
    Except you forgot the 6 person DR
    True. In 25 man raids there's simply no use right now for any of the Level 30 talents and even though I didn't test it myself, it should be the same case in 10 man raids. Just stay with Uplift and you'll be fine at the moment.

Well im in a 10man groupe so yes i could use Uplift on all 10ppl but thats not always the best option imo. And we always stand so i can hit all 10ppl with Chi burst, giving them a good bunch of heals. But yes if its alot of aoe dmg going on i use sck-sck->uplift. but most aoe dmg we can somehow ise Dk shell for or discpriests

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 12:38 PM ----------

But if ReM is not on 10ppl and i can hit all 10ppl with chi burst isnt it better to use chi burst then?
    Last edited by Tatuin; 2012-10-13 at 09:58 AM.

So I'm curious what everyone is using as stat weights now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuin View Post
    Well im in a 10man groupe so yes i could use Uplift on all 10ppl but thats not always the best option imo. And we always stand so i can hit all 10ppl with Chi burst, giving them a good bunch of heals. But yes if its alot of aoe dmg going on i use sck-sck->uplift. but most aoe dmg we can somehow ise Dk shell for or discpriests

---------- Post added 2012-10-13 at 12:38 PM ----------

But if ReM is not on 10ppl and i can hit all 10ppl with chi burst isnt it better to use chi burst then?
    In certain situations, maybe. But keeping ReM up on all 10 people shouldn't be a problem. As long as you keep it on cooldown, either putting it on someone who doesn't have it, or is just about to drop, the bounces should keep it on everyone. Keep in mind, for things such as epicenters on Feng, if your tank is using the bubble, it can't be used every time. So on the epicenters you don't have the bubble, make sure you TFT right before or just as it's happening to keep it up on everyone. Then spam a few uplifts, Chi Brew, and a few more uplifts, then SCK->SCK->Uplift, repeat until it's done.

Also, don't forget that you aren't alone in AoE healing the raid, you don't have to do ALL of it. Prioritizing using Uplift that hits all 10 people is better than only hitting 6, especially if you have another strong AoE healer with you.

I do wish that Blizz had the tech for spells to tell the difference in raid size. In 10 man, using spells such as Chi Burst is better because the 6 person DR is not as noticeable. But 25 man, it's pretty much pointless to use unless you are only healing, say, the melee group. In 25 man, if the DR was 15, then it would be equal, both only hitting 60% of the entire raid. Putting a smart heal in it would be ideal as well, making it prioritize more injured targets would be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekerdud View Post
    I do wish that Blizz had the tech for spells to tell the difference in raid size. In 10 man, using spells such as Chi Burst is better because the 6 person DR is not as noticeable. But 25 man, it's pretty much pointless to use unless you are only healing, say, the melee group. In 25 man, if the DR was 15, then it would be equal, both only hitting 60% of the entire raid. Putting a smart heal in it would be ideal as well, making it prioritize more injured targets would be good as well.
    Except then Uplift would be barely used as Chi burst would out scale it except during the time period just following TFT. Granted it would still have uses during spread mechanics, but then our balancing would be eventual based even further around stacked groups for throughput. Personally I believe that the 30 talents would be better off if they operated in niches that do not overlap with uplift. What those exact niches are however I do not know as we already have a decently diverse healing toolkit.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The damage dealt by Chi Torpedo and Chi Burst is now correctly mitigated by abilities that reduce Area of Effect damage.
    Does this mean Chi Burst go the same treatment than Zen Sphere, healing wise ? Lower heals when more than 10 targets are hit ?

Very disappointing if its the case

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The damage dealt by Chi Torpedo and Chi Burst is now correctly mitigated by abilities that reduce Area of Effect damage.
    Does this mean Chi Burst go the same treatment than Zen Sphere, healing wise ? Lower heals when more than 10 targets are hit ?

Very disappointing if its the case
    What that means is that Chi Torpedo and Chi Burst were ignoring mechanics like Feint, and that was unintended.

Deleted
    Guys can anyone please tell me which trinket is the best out of these two for us; ( this is until I get the vial of Ichourous blood)

Empty Fruit Barrel OR Price of Progress?

I am leaning towards the fruit barrel for that sustained regen (for mana intensive fights so I can get chi for mana tea)

I am using it with Relic of Chi Ji

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    What that means is that Chi Torpedo and Chi Burst were ignoring mechanics like Feint, and that was unintended.
    Woops my bad, I read that wrong. Thanks.