Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    It's a subject I feel pretty strongly about, so it was a pleasure to fill out this survey!

I didn't fill in the survey but I actually suspect your family comes from a tiny (say 4 farms or so) town near where I live. Genealogie department doesn't have much on the family name though but it does show some people with the same last name in the east of the Netherlands.

This is the spot of the "town"(for lack of a better English word)
    http://maps.google.nl/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:nlfficial&client=firefox-a&q=achterbosch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47c72061c3d54fd3:0x2555b33cd43a266c,Achterbosch&gl=nl&ei=x5jQT5THBq6S0QXAydH JCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ8gEwAw

Your family name actually means "behind the forest" in old Dutch.

Anyways, maybe you find it interesting to know

Deleted
    Filled it in as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Filled - would be interested to see the results.
    Best of luck with your study.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I didn't fill in the survey but I actually suspect your family comes from a tiny (say 4 farms or so) town near where I live. Genealogie department doesn't have much on the family name though but it does show some people with the same last name in the east of the Netherlands.

This is the spot of the "town"(for lack of a better English word)
    http://maps.google.nl/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:nlfficial&client=firefox-a&q=achterbosch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47c72061c3d54fd3:0x2555b33cd43a266c,Achterbosch&gl=nl&ei=x5jQT5THBq6S0QXAydH JCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ8gEwAw

Your family name actually means "behind the forest" in old Dutch.

Anyways, maybe you find it interesting to know
    Wow, very interesting. Never suspected something like this would come up. Actually I don't know my family beyond Australia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelute View Post
    Wow, very interesting. Never suspected something like this would come up. Actually I don't know my family beyond Australia.
    It's definitely a very, very Dutch looking/sounding name
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to fill out your form OP, I'm an expert on the subject dating to the earliest MMOs.

I'm not giving it a cookie though.

This smells badly of phishing.
    Last edited by Primernova; 2012-06-07 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    Done it and good luck with your survey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Completed - good luck with it all

10+ Year Old Account
    Filled out, best of luck .)

Quote Originally Posted by thelute View Post
    Oh I checked some more, actually there are 4 towns called this. All 4 are small (I google translated) hamlets.
    One in Belgium, near a town called Mol (close to the Netherlands). This one does uses new spelling (achterbos)
    Three in Holland:
    Achterbos (again new spelling) near the city of Utrecht.
    Achterbosch near the one I actually linked before.
    And the third is the one linked before.

So a good 3/4th chance that your family originates from what is now the south of the Netherlands/north of Belgium. Before that all used to be the Netherlands though.

And if you wonder why I suspect that your last name has something to do with a geographical location, it is because many Dutch last names have a geographical location.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    I would love to fill out your form OP, I'm an expert on the subject dating to the earliest MMOs.

I'm not giving it a cookie though.

This smells badly of phishing.
    Its up to you Primernova. It is located on a secure educational server with a .edu.au domain. These domains aren't just given out to anyone, its the official University of Ballarat Lime Survey web address. Also you are not required to provide any identifying details about yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MLX View Post
    I'd like to offer a rounded definition of what you're calling "griefing."

Griefing is an effect initiated emotionally by the recipient, of yet to be defined action, resulting in overt, acted out emotional response on the part of said recipient. The recipient finds itself unable to successfully adapt to a situation in a gaming context. To blame the supposed antagonist in this scenario is to absolve the "recipient" of all responsibility, which is obviously in error. The recipient in this case is placing more value on what it perceives as intent, rather than action.
    Thank you for informing me what Greifing is. Thought that everyone would understand that my post was a fail attempt of humor but anyway, thanks for the info ^^
    ~May the goat be with you~

Deleted
    Completed
    Best of luck, hope you don't get too many "trolls" just picking random options / all one option.

The server hosting the survey had a hardware failure over the weekend and is now fixed. The survey is ready to go again!

Thanks to all who have responded, the 'hit' rate from this forum has been good, and the survey will still be open for some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completed the survey and left my contact info in the last question.

Filled out best of luck
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    Completed - happy to help

All done. Got me thinking how I view stuff differently based upon perspective.