Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Smile Is there any good / worthwhile Shooter out there?

Hey folks,

I'm looking forward to buy a new Ego-Shooter / Shooter game to waste my freetime a lil' bit.
    Is there any good game out there right now except BF3 and/or COD MW3?

I played the earlier COD a few months ago, but ... it's outdated and no-one is playing online anymore. :/

Cons to BF3 - they collect sytem data I heard? ..please..

Thank you for your advices, suggestions and tips
    Cheers

Quick glance at my physical collection and Homefront and RAGE come to mind.

Yeh, thanks ! Gonna check these two out.

Any other suggestions?

Mutiplayer or solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Goretog View Post
    Mutiplayer or solo?
    Especially solo... But if it has an awesome multiplayer ... you feel me ?

Serious Sam 3 BFE is really good ballsy shooter where you're pitted against tens and tens (Maybe even hundreds) of wacky deadly creatures in rather open enviroments filled with secret areas and collectibles.

It's all about mowing down hordes of mobs and dodging their projectiles while at it.

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 02:28 PM ----------

Example of the gameplay for SS. A bit narrow level but LOADS of shit to do, with the trademark exploding bombmen
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Thanks for your advice Wilian.
    SS looks so damn freaking lol Don't know if I gonna try.. Do you have anything more realistic in your repertoire?

Arma 2 with the dayZ mod. Slow paced, but really realistic with an inventory for use. You need to eat food and what not. Also it's on a open world map and it's hugeeeeee.

Serious Sam 3 for sure. Nice throwback to oldschool shooters, it's fun as hell, and the multiplayer/co-op is great.

Don't bother with Homefront. The campaign is your typical short, shallow, horribly written campaign with lots of explosions that most shooters have nowadays and it's freaking painful to play. As for multiplayer, it's actually pretty good but almost nobody plays it. When I tried to play there were only 2 active servers I could find : /

Another good one is Hard Reset, but it's pretty short. Great fun though.

Crysis 1 and 2 are fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Highly recommend Metro 2033 if you enjoy story driven "survival" games. You have to sneak around instead of running around and shooting everything due to the low amount of ammo.
    Ah, the bad optimized game never tried , but i heard the book was better story wise

15+ Year Old Account
    CS:Source is still a nice game; all the gameplay mods make it a worthwhile pickup
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Highly recommend Metro 2033 if you enjoy story driven "survival" games. You have to sneak around instead of running around and shooting everything due to the low amount of ammo.
    Heh, I just finished this and totally forgot about it! And what is this sneaking around nonsense? There's plenty of ammo (even on the harder modes) to run and gun if you don't waste your ammo :P

I love Metro. The nice thing about the hard modes is the enemies die much easier. You also get nice powerful weapons like the volt driver for free, and bb ammo is dirt cheap. My last play through was on Ranger easy. I might try hard later. Most of my deaths came from bad knife throws .

I liked Rage, until it ended. I was left with a big "thats all?" expression on my face. It felt like they forgot half the things they were wanting to do (weapon/character upgrades) and just kinda quit. Ran out of money maybe? Fun enough for what it was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    CS:Source is still a nice game; all the gameplay mods make it a worthwhile pickup
    All the gameplay mods were what made me stop playing CS:S

Im of the opinion that the FPS genre died with the death of Half Life 1 multiplayer (HLDM), which i believe happen at the hands of CS. When they started doing things like changing the half life game engine to remove bunny hopping / strafe jumping just to slow down game play for CS i died a little inside. The slow pace of FPS games these days just bores me to death and in my opinion lowers the skill cap to the floor. I played CS for a while and CS:S when it came out but it was so boring and easy it never held my attention.

I remember the days of Quake 1v1 where not only did you have to have solid tactics and aim like you do in todays games but you also had to have so much more command/control of your character to even stand a chance. your reaction times had to be so much faster than todays games all while trying to control resources on the entire map by timing things like weapon, armor and powerup respawns.

HLDM carried on that style of gameplay for me for many many years. Extreme pace in the action, vast array of weapons at your disposal and you did not start out from spawn with all your weapons and full armor and ammo you had to fight for them. HLDM is my single most played game ever. Years and years of playing every night for hours on end and getting together with friends on the weekend to have lan matches and run shop on pub TDM servers.

The only other FPS games that i have even remotely sort of liked since then were. A few of the Unreal Tournement series, The original Unreal was still the best of that IP.

These days if i playing an FPS its 9 times out of 10 Quake Live Or if im insanely bored i will wonder into a TF2 or Black Ops server, they are my relaxing easy games to play.

Of course im an old-school FPS guy. Started with Doom and Quake anyone remember free quake1 on Mplayer?

TLDR: Im old, Todays FPS games are garbage. Go play Quake Live! www.quakelive.com Its free and its better than anything that has come out in the last 10 years.

Painkiller. Regardless of day or age.

If you only want strict multiplayer then you cannot go wrong with Tribes Ascend. Very balanced, cempetitive, F2P team-based FPS with various modes and optional cash shop for the unpatient (you can unlock everything by just playing).

I'm assuming this is for PC an not consoles?

Borderlands, with Borderlands 2 coming up it'd be a good game to check out before the sequel is released. It's a different shooter due to it's graphical style and the fact it uses RPG elements to allow the players to choose between 4 classes, level up their character, collect loot, battle bosses and spend points in skill trees.

oh it also has more guns then other game and borderlands 2 will have even more!

10+ Year Old Account
    They are starting to show their age (and aren't really 'pure' shooters) but if you've yet to play Bioshock and Bioshock 2 they are are two amazing games with great stories and fun gameplay, and the 'in spirit' sequel is coming in the fall.
    "Brevity is...wit"