Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    But wasn't Cataclysm like the top-selling computer game ever when it was released? I remember it breaking some type of record.

Not too bad if you ask me.
    I'm fairly certain Diablo 3 took the most copies sold on first day and first week of release from Cataclysm

10+ Year Old Account
    Vivendi, like Atari, is a large corporation that has bought out smaller, more successful ones to sustain it's inefficiencies and produce money for it's shareholders without actually producing product. One of these days, people will realize that top-heavy companies with little actual product cannot simply survive on Reagenomics alone.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Perhaps the questionable business practices employed by certain major companies are finally biting them in the rear, hence the recent decline in success, profit and popularity. It's no secret that every business aims to make a profit, though sustained profit is far, far more beneficial in the long run than erratic gimmicks and money sinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    As is Activision, which makes it rather annoying when people refer to Activision-Blizzard as just "Activision".
    it is understandable though; the activision mgmt team became, in effect, the a/b mgmt team. not everyone is going to be able to understand these legal and corporate structures, but most everyone can understand that the old activision ceo became the ceo of a/b.

the merger probably wouldn't have happened as it did if vivendi wasn't happy with him running the combined company his way to a certain degree. I would assume he was one of the larger atvi shareholders before the reverse merger, given his role in keeping the co; from bankruptcy. his interview discussing that is really quite interesting. I would never bet against this guy in business decisions (I would in mmo design, but that is immaterial).
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2012-06-07 at 09:20 PM.

If I were Sony or Microsoft and had the money and wanted to deliver the other a financial low, I'd buy up the IP rights and make them exclusive to my console. Microsoft would probably, financially, benefit better with such a move but meh -- government regulators would be pissed.

Activision Blizzard for Sale

Question: Will you keep playing warcraft is they are sold off

LOS ANGELES--The industry's largest third-party publisher might be for sale. According to a Bloomberg report, senior executives of Activision Blizzard parent Vivendi are meeting later this month to determine whether they want to sell the telecom giant's majority stake in the game developer.
    Big changes could be in store for Activision Blizzard.

Citing "people with knowledge of the matter," Bloomberg reports that the Vivendi executive meeting is scheduled for June 22, with the possibility of an Activision Blizzard sale being the main point of discussion. The telecom company has reportedly been meeting with investors to discuss a variety of possible reorganizations recently, including spinning off the cable television division Canal Plus.

In late 2007, Vivendi announced an $18.9 billion merger between its own games group--which included Blizzard and its World of Warcraft business--and Activision, which at the time was riding high on the success of Guitar Hero and Call of Duty.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6381404...zzard-for-sale

I don't really think who owns the company will change there product that much really, will it? I mean if vivendi sells them off to someone else, its not like they are going to fire everyone at blizzard, makers of some of the most popular games of all time?

Come on EA!!!!!

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Revak View Post
    Come on EA!!!!!

/sarcasm
    You made me spit my soda on the wall

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 07:18 PM ----------

If EA bought them I would literally be Shatting bricks, there is no worse company that could aquire them..i don't think EA has the money to buy them though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on EA!!!!!

/sarcasm
    Dont you put that voodoo on us.

But seriously I dont think anyone could be worse than Activision, so if it is sold only good can come of it.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Come on EA!!!!!

/sarcasm
    Now that is something that would actually have the potential to kill WoW. Selling it to EA >.> Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Come on EA!!!!!

/sarcasm
    i would breakdown cause that would be horrid

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I don't really think who owns the company will change there product that much really, will it? I mean if vivendi sells them off to someone else, its not like they are going to fire everyone at blizzard, makers of some of the most popular games of all time?
    EA would they are notorius for actions you just described.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on who buys them, With any luck either Valve or Blizzard would buy it (if they can afford it).

If EA buys Acti / Blizz im out period, fullstop what ever you want to say.

Maybe George Lucas will dig out his change jar and buy it for the IP then bankroll some real films. Keep EA, Bioware, and Sony away for the love of everything holy.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this business stuff matters how, to me playing the game for my enjoyment?

Things would need to grossly get out of hand, killing game play, for me to ever worry about this.

Translation: They made a booboo buying Blizzard, because their games don't show the kind of growth they had in mind. WoW is in a steep decline, Diablo & Starcraft can only field expacks, and Project Titan hasn't even been announced and is years from market.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they'll take pennies i got like at least a dollars worth of them
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

ITT people who have no idea what they are talking about.