Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Older riddles and logic problems

I was watching a movie and an older riddle popped up and it got me thinking "we don't see that question in newer movies at all anymore" and then I remembered several others you never see so I thought of making a thread for solving crazy riddles and logic problems.

So, without further notice:
    1. You stand in front of two doors. Each door is guarded by a soldier. One door leads to great things, other to certain death and you don't know which is which. You are allowed to ask one guardian at choice one single question. One guardian always tells the truth, and one always lies, but you don't know which is which, what is the question you ask?

Well... be free to resolve them, once someone gets a right answer, I'll say it (hopefully before more post).

And of course, feel free to add your riddles, problems and whatnot so that others can solve

New added 08.06.2012
    6.(thanks to Azlarn) I think I'll post a riddle I found a year ago or so. It's not really hard but it's kinda long:

A warden meets with 23 prisoners. He tells them the following:

Each prisoner will be placed into a room numbered 1-23. Each will be alone in the room, which will be soundproof, lightproof, etc. In other words, they will NOT be able to communicate with each other.

They will be allowed one planning session before they are taken to their rooms.

There is a special room, room 0. In this room are 2 switches, which can each be either UP or DOWN. They cannot be left in between, they are not linked in any way (so there are 4 possible states), and they are numbered 1 and 2. Their current positions are unknown.

One at a time, a prisoner will be brought into room 0. The prisoner MUST change one and only one switch. The prisoner is then returned to his cell.

At any time t, given some N>0, there exists a finite t_0 by which time every prisoner will have visited room 0 at least N times. (In other words, there is no fixed pattern to the order or frequency with which prisoners visit room 0, but at any given time, every prisoner is guaranteed to visit room 0 again. If you’re still confused by this statement, ignore it, and you should be ok).

At any time, any prisoner may declare that all 23 of them have been in room 0. If right, the prisoners go free. If wrong, they are all executed.

What initial strategy is 100% guaranteed to let all go free?
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-06-08 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted
    For the first one, you would ask "If the other guardian was here, where would he tell me that the door to great things is?" Whichever door the guardian shows you, you go to the other. If it's the truth guardian he will say the truth about the other guardian lying to you, hence you know the other door will be the good one. If it's the lying guardian he'll lie to you about the other guardian telling you the truth, which means that, again the other door will be the good one.

For the third, roosters don't lay eggs.

The line just below the first riddle is the longest.

As for the maze one, I'm not really sure, but since you say the exit is "on the other side", I suppose a logical way would be to point something, a finger for example, to the other side from the entrance no matter where and how many times you turn. At some point you'll either end up to several dead ends and finally reach the other side by always trying to follow the way your finger is pointing or if you're lucky manage to get it from the first time.
    Last edited by mmoc2fdc1312bd; 2012-06-07 at 09:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    For the first one, you would ask "If the other guardian was here, where would he tell me that the door to great things is?" Whichever door the guardian shows you, you go to the other. If it's the truth guardian he will say the truth about the other guardian lying to you, hence you know the other door will be the good one. If it's the lying guardian he'll lie to you about the other guardian telling you the truth, which means that, again the other door will be the good one.

For the third, roosters don't lay eggs.

The line just below the first riddle is the longest.

As for the maze one, I'm not really sure, but since you say the exit is "on the other side", I suppose a logical way would be to point something, a finger for example, to the other side from the entrance no matter where and how many times you turn. At some point you'll either end up to several dead ends and finally reach the other side by always trying to follow the way your finger is pointing or if you're lucky manage to get it from the first time.
    First response is correct.
    Second response (maze) is not. It's quite simple, what you're stating wouldn't work in the case of a maze that's not with straight lines and square corners since curvy lines would end up making you think you're going the right way after a point when you'd be pointing the wrong way. The simple method does involve some error, but it's much more simple. That said, I won't say it yet.
    Third riddle, correct.
    Fourth thing, you didn't respond to it. And if you did, wrong.
    The line thing, correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    First response is correct.
    Second response (maze) is not. It's quite simple, what you're stating wouldn't work in the case of a maze that's not with straight lines and square corners since curvy lines would end up making you think you're going the right way after a point when you'd be pointing the wrong way. The simple method does involve some error, but it's much more simple. That said, I won't say it yet.
    Third riddle, correct.
    Fourth thing, you didn't respond to it. And if you did, wrong.
    The line thing, correct.
    Heh, I just missed the "write something:" one I'm guessing the answer is "something:" ?

Also, about the maze, I suppose you don't have anything with you ? Like bread crumbs or something to point out the places you've already gone to.

The maze question:

You choose which side you will go for, either right or left and stick to it. Keep following that side and you will get to the exit.

I've always heard the maze one being putting your left hand on the wall and never taking it off, just following it. Pretty sure the first responder said something similar, and was apparently wrong, but hey there you go, right?

Deleted
    I think I'll post a riddle I found a year ago or so. It's not really hard but it's kinda long:

Each prisoner will be placed into a room numbered 1-23. Each will be alone in the room, which will be soundproof, lightproof, etc. In other words, they will NOT be able to communicate with each other.

There is a special room, room 0. In this room are 2 switches, which can each be either UP or DOWN. They cannot be left in between, they are not linked in any way (so there are 4 possible states), and they are numbered 1 and 2. Their current positions are unknown.

One at a time, a prisoner will be brought into room 0. The prisoner MUST change one and only one switch. The prisoner is then returned to his cell.

At any time t, given some N>0, there exists a finite t_0 by which time every prisoner will have visited room 0 at least N times. (In other words, there is no fixed pattern to the order or frequency with which prisoners visit room 0, but at any given time, every prisoner is guaranteed to visit room 0 again. If you’re still confused by this statement, ignore it, and you should be ok).

At any time, any prisoner may declare that all 23 of them have been in room 0. If right, the prisoners go free. If wrong, they are all executed.

Deleted
    Heh, I just missed the "write something:" one I'm guessing the answer is "something:" ?

Also, about the maze, I suppose you don't have anything with you ? Like bread crumbs or something to point out the places you've already gone to.
    Correct for the "something" question. No breadcrumbs, but someone answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Duck View Post
    I've always heard the maze one being putting your left hand on the wall and never taking it off, just following it. Pretty sure the first responder said something similar, and was apparently wrong, but hey there you go, right?
    Correct, you always follow one side of the maze, this way, it is indeed true that you reach some dead ends, but you never get lost.

I think I'll post a riddle I found a year ago or so. It's not really hard but it's kinda long:

Will put yours in the OP so it's better seen. No clue about the answer, do they scratch the wall besides the swiches, each prisoner scratching one?

Deleted
    Correct for the "something" question. No breadcrumbs, but someone answered it.

Correct, you always follow one side of the maze, this way, it is indeed true that you reach some dead ends, but you never get lost.
    Didn't Batman talk about this once?

Will put yours in the OP so it's better seen. No clue about the answer, do they scratch the wall besides the swiches, each prisoner scratching one?
    The only thing that I can think of is that each prisoner promises only to toggle switch #1 until it's their third or fourth time in room 0. Then they flip switch #2 and the next person to enter to see #2 is in another position can state that everyone has been in the room at least once.

That prisoner riddle is really confusing not gonna lie lol

Here is my riddle

3 men rent a hotel room. The clerk at the front desk says the cost is $30 for the night. The 3 men agree to split the cost and pay $10 each. THey proceed to their room.

Later in the day, the clerk realized he made a mistake and the room was on sale. The cost of the room was really $25. He pulls a $5 bill out of the drawer and gives it to the bellboy to bring to the 3 men.

On his way up, the bellboy realizes the 3 men cannot split $5 evenly amongst them without coins. So on his way up he comes up with a plan. He puts the $5 in his pocket and pulls out 3 $1 bills. He is going to tell the men the room cost $27.

He does that and leaves. Now, each man has received $1 back. Therefore, they have each paid a total of $9 do far

3 men times $9 each is $27. add in the $2 the bellboy kept for himself. That is $29. What happened to the last dollar?

Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Op, you just watch labyrinth?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Burlacher View Post
    That prisoner riddle is really confusing not gonna lie lol

Here is my riddle

3 men rent a hotel room. The clerk at the front desk says the cost is $30 for the night. The 3 men agree to split the cost and pay $10 each. THey proceed to their room.

Later in the day, the clerk realized he made a mistake and the room was on sale. The cost of the room was really $25. He pulls a $5 bill out of the drawer and gives it to the bellboy to bring to the 3 men.

On his way up, the bellboy realizes the 3 men cannot split $5 evenly amongst them without coins. So on his way up he comes up with a plan. He puts the $5 in his pocket and pulls out 3 $1 bills. He is going to tell the men the room cost $27.

He does that and leaves. Now, each man has received $1 back. Therefore, they have each paid a total of $9 do far

3 men times $9 each is $27. add in the $2 the bellboy kept for himself. That is $29. What happened to the last dollar?
    The Bellboy made a maths error.
    Counting backwards the original amount was 30. If the Bellboy keeps 2 that makes for 28. He gives them back 3 each so that accounts for the full 5 that he got back from the Clerk. Add in the 25 of the original room cost, we're back on 30.
    The logic error in the riddle is that 'it makes sense' to give every man $1 back in change and 27 is a nice amount you can split in 3. The last dollar didn't vanish at all.

---------- Post added 2012-06-08 at 07:52 AM ----------

And to add since some are being solved...

I got an easy one to start with:
    "How far can you walk into a forest?"

Now riddle me this detective...
    "The man who makes me, doesn't want me. The man who wants me, doesn't need me. The man who needs me, doesn't know it... What am I?"
    Last edited by mmoc31a6eca749; 2012-06-08 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    The Bellboy made a maths error.
    Counting backwards the original amount was 30. If the Bellboy keeps 2 that makes for 28. He gives them back 3 each so that accounts for the full 5 that he got back from the Clerk. Add in the 25 of the original room cost, we're back on 30.
    The logic error in the riddle is that 'it makes sense' to give every man $1 back in change and 27 is a nice amount you can split in 3. The last dollar didn't vanish at all.
    The bell boy is a douche. XD

To add on
    The math logic portion is that when you do well... math.

The process was (30 - 25 - 2) / 3 = 1
    or
    just quite honestly 3 = 30 - 25 - 2 or 30 = 30.

Now the issue is you translated into multiplication as

(10 - 1) * 3 + 2 = 29. Fact is you aren't doing a reverse process but actually just doing a completely different mathematical sequence.
    Now riddle me this detective...
    "The man who makes me, doesn't want me. The man who wants me, doesn't need me. The man who needs me, doesn't know it... What am I?"
    Only thing that comes to mind is god..... =\
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-06-08 at 08:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Only thing that comes to mind is god..... =\
    Nope.
    Much more down to earth...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.
    Much more down to earth...
    The earth?

Deleted
    The earth?
    The answer is 'a coffin'.

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is 'a coffin'.
    Now that's obscure as hell.

Deleted
    Now that's obscure as hell.
    The person who makes them doesn't want them himself. The person who wants one obviously doesn't need it or he wouldn't be there getting one. And the one who actually needs it isn't really in a position to notice much of anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    The person who makes them doesn't want them himself. The person who wants one obviously doesn't need it or he wouldn't be there getting one. And the one who actually needs it isn't really in a position to notice much of anything...
    Yeah, I understand it, just wouldn't think of it.