need help deciding if comp is deal or not

i am looking to buy a used computer, unfortunately i do not know the first thing about computers other than how to operate them. but i still want to get the best bang for my buck, currently i am looking at getting this http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/3059417714.html all i plan on doing is surfing the web and playing some games, mostly mmo's and maybe the odd single player game. the computer i am running right now is a five year old mac, one part of the screen is blacked out (cant see the browser or anything else on that side) and the rest of the computer has vertical lines running down it. it will randomly lock and freeze and firefox will randomly crash and restart itself (sometimes the computer does this as well) so pretty much anything is an upgrade at this point. i just want to make sure im spending my money in the right place. can anyone please help me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Looked at the link, is that supposed to be a touch screen? I wouldn't go for it, simply because it doesn't have an independent GPU (graphics card) it relies on the CPU to handle graphics. Also, the touch screen would be a gimmicky waste of money.

Do some research and learn about computers a little bit. You can buy kits and parts to build your own computer, from websites such as Newegg.com and others. You can build a pretty decent computer on a much lower budget than if you were to buy a premade computer like HP, Dell, etc.

EDIT: And to clarify, DO NOT buy used computers. Some if not most are loaded with viruses, even if they have been "wiped clean" as the seller might state.

EDIT #2: If your budget is below $400 you might be best off saving a little bit more money. And trust me from what I have read, you'll really appreciate upgrading to something that will last you the next 5-6 years (assuming you take good care of the rig). Good luck!

P.S. If you do go for a name brand computer, go with HP. They build decent desktops at a somewhat good price. I have had a lot of good experiences with them in the past.
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2012-06-08 at 04:37 AM.

alright thank you for the advice. i will continue saving and hope my computer lasts long enough to purchase a new computer.

all in wonders are like laptops...hardly serviceable and cant change parts

seconded on not buying second hand electronics... but not because of viruses.. but because so much can go wrong and if it doesnt have warrenty then what you going to do?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello,
    You can also find from here all type of used computers searchck.com.

as has been stated, build your own computer. you'll get far more bang for your buck, even if you wind up paying someone $50 to put the pieces together (which would take like an hour tops if you have them all together), better to do that than mess up the wiring and blow up your whole $600 rig ya know.

there are some really good graphics cards out there for only around $100 that, while they won't be playing things like skyrim on highest, they'll definitely play something like World of Warcraft on fairly high settings. the most expensive parts you'll find are your motherboard, graphics card, and hard drive I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chireru93 View Post
    as has been stated, build your own computer. you'll get far more bang for your buck, even if you wind up paying someone $50 to put the pieces together (which would take like an hour tops if you have them all together), better to do that than mess up the wiring and blow up your whole $600 rig ya know.

there are some really good graphics cards out there for only around $100 that, while they won't be playing things like skyrim on highest, they'll definitely play something like World of Warcraft on fairly high settings. the most expensive parts you'll find are your motherboard, graphics card, and hard drive I believe.
    Motherboard in relation to a cpu gpu is small, same w/ the price of an HDD/SSD.