Deleted

Surviving on Inferno as a Monk

So the question is in the title, how are you other Monks managing to survive on Inferno?

So far I'm having a really bad time with any Elite/Champion packs I come across and we're talking early stage Sword of the Stranger through the questchain. Stats are as follows:

HP: 17,156
    Armor: 6122
    Damage: 14K
    Weapon: 2H Daibo 1.1K DPS
    Dex: 1190
    Resistances: 161 (to all)
    Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Ygh!YUX!acbbaa

From reading other forum posts, most people are saying the only way to survive through Inferno is by stacking a specific resistance as high as possible and utilizing the One with Everything passive to increase all the others; whilst also maintaining enough Dexterity to dodge a lot. With what I've got so far I'm kinda pushing to see how far I can get with the same builds that got me through Hell but I know a change is needed.

I'm a new Diablo player, only started when D3 released so I guess the question is, how would I go about getting what I need to make running Inferno a little less frustrating? Is the only way to do so by playing the AH and farming for millions? Or am I missing a trick?

Any help is appreciated.

For Act 1 I managed with around 200-300 resists and using a shield. One with all isn't worthwhile at 161 resistances, I'd take resolve instead. Also you might want to try deadly reach for the +40% armour rune, aside from the boost it also allows you to hit over plague zones, desecrator, through waller walls etc. If you get a shield with +7% crit on it then the dps loss isn't as bad as you might think.

Also you need more hp. I varied between 25-30k as I was changing around my gear during act 1, and some stuff can pretty close to 1-shotting me - bear in mind that is with a shield & double your resists.

And if you aren't already, make sure you use the enchantress with the +15% armour buff and all the crowd control effects you can get.

Your resistance are a bit low. Maybe you should team with a range. Even if you won't pull a lot of damage, just tickling / stunning the ennemies will be more than enough to let the range do 500% more pewpew that he'd do alone while kiting. You should be able to do *nearly* everything properly with a shield and 300+ to all resist. (Piece with bonus armor are also really good)

-Get all resists to at least 400. Buy gear that has +All/+Cold (for example) on the same piece, and use One with Everything for easy resist all.
    -Get a 1hander at least 650 DPS with at least 450 Life on Hit, and a shield with at least 1k armor, some vit/resistance on it is nice as well.
    -Use Mantra of Evasion + Hard Target for dodge and armor bonus
    -Use Deadly Reach + Keen eye for armor bonus
    -Enchantress for armor bonus

You should feel like a tank in act 1, even to elites. I'm at 700 resist and ~73% armor with buffs (Keen eye/Hard target) up, and Act 1 is a total joke. I can stand and tank tons of mobs, and tank most elites as well, without breaking a sweat.

Right now, Act 1/Act 2 gear is shit, so yes, the only way you're going to get good gear is by farming gold and using the AH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

You have way too much dps for the level of your gear. I'm just barely pushing 14k now and I've been in inferno for a while.
    Things that will help a lot quickly: Get as high an Attacks Per Second value as you can. Use a fast weapon (dagger), and get as much attack speed and life on hit as you can. There are relatively cheap (<100k) rings available with +15% AS, ~+90LoH. Buy two of them, they'll help a lot. Getting one handed weapons with AS or LoH can be really expensive, so either sacrifice some dps, or just get one with a socket and put purple gems in it.
    You can also get gloves/amulet with AS, but it may get expensive for you.
    Ditch the 2H, you won't really be able to use it anymore Get a good shield with resistance and a good block %.
    After that, the game is getting as much resist all/dex as you can without letting your health pool get too low. Your health is definitely too low atm, swap some Dex pieces for vitality gear until you are at least 27-29k ish.

I haven't been using One with everything yet, just getting resist all gear and it hasn't been too bad. If you really want the crazy resist numbers later on (900+) thats what you'll need to do, but I honestly think resistance gets overvalued too early on in peoples gearing. Try to get 500-600. That should be fine until the later acts, at which point you should be richer and able to get better pieces.

If you decide not to use One with everything, use resolve instead. It makes a difference.

And although I too loved crippling wave in hell, I'd recommend using deadly reach with keen eye (increased armor) while your starting off. You should try to never let yourself get surrounded in inferno, so crippling wave will be less useful. Try to get out that habit. Once you have a lot of LoH and high AS, I'd switch over to Fists of Thunder with lightning flash. The higher AS will net you a lot more health so it will be worth the armor loss.
    If you use deadly reach, sweeping wind with firestorm is super useful. You can actually play with some semi-ranged tactics. Keep moving back and then holding still and firing out of range. The extra range really helps. When you use fists of thunder, use sweeping wind with blade storm instead (since you wont have the range anymore anyway).
    Breath of fire with blazing wrath is good, but you could also try it with the pentinant flame rune. It can help keep you from getting surrounded.
    Serenity with Peacful repose is good, but swap that out for ascension when you get higher AS/LoH. The heal doesn't scale well, and you can make up for it with that extra second of LoH healing.
    Blinding flash with searing light rune if you need survivability on a pack. Faith in the light glyph if not.
    Other then that the spec looks good. Ditch the earth ally for sweeping wind imo. Earth ally isn't terrible, but sweeping wind will contribute more dps then you realize.

Oh and one thing that really helped me, bind your force movement key and your hold still key. Always hold down one or the other. This gives you very precise control over your characters positioning (particularly helpful with deadly reach). Mouse clicking is going to get you killed. If you're attacking, you should be holding the stand still button. If you're moving, use the force movement button etc. You'll never accidentally walk into fire again. I use shift as my stand still button and space bar as my movement key, but whatever works for you.

Hope that helps

I've been using this guide: https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/to...1087360?page=1

I switch my mantras around though depending on what I'm doing. Keys to remember, fast attack speed, life on hit, stack one resist, sword/board. Once you are geared enough you can switch to a more DPS centered build and either dual qield or use a 2hander (I would stick to dual wield though to maintain a fast attack speed) to farm A1.

Quote Originally Posted by Indicterion View Post
    So the question is in the title, how are you other Monks managing to survive on Inferno?

So far I'm having a really bad time with any Elite/Champion packs I come across and we're talking early stage Sword of the Stranger through the questchain. Stats are as follows:

HP: 17,156
    Armor: 6122
    Damage: 14K
    Weapon: 2H Daibo 1.1K DPS
    Dex: 1190
    Resistances: 161 (to all)
    Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Ygh!YUX!acbbaa

From reading other forum posts, most people are saying the only way to survive through Inferno is by stacking a specific resistance as high as possible and utilizing the One with Everything passive to increase all the others; whilst also maintaining enough Dexterity to dodge a lot. With what I've got so far I'm kinda pushing to see how far I can get with the same builds that got me through Hell but I know a change is needed.

I'm a new Diablo player, only started when D3 released so I guess the question is, how would I go about getting what I need to make running Inferno a little less frustrating? Is the only way to do so by playing the AH and farming for millions? Or am I missing a trick?

Any help is appreciated.
    Drop the Diabo. If you're struggling with content, a 2h is not helping in any way. If you're at the level where you're farming the content, and want to speed things up, then sure, go 2h or DW.

Resists are really low. For act 1, as a monk, you dont even need to spend a lot to get 300-400 resists. Piece with only arcane or fire resist (whatever you're stacking), are cheap. Later on, when you want both X resists AND all resists on your gear, is when it gets expensive. I would go to the AH, and search for 50 dex, 50 vit and 30 x resist pieces. You will find a bunch for <10k each.

Your hp is a little low. Its enough for act 1 though, if you have good resists. But its easy to get more, and more is just a buffer for mistakes, and will definitely help. Imo 20-25k is fine for act 1.

Personally, i dont like crippling wave. The defensive debuffs it puts out are nice, but it has no range. Deadly Reach + armor rune is what i use 90% of the time. It has a big range, meaning you can still do dmg while not standing in melee range. It goes through walls too (from wallers, not actual walls), which makes them a joke most of the time. Sometimes i will use fists of thunder, if i want the extra mobility, or the little knockback it gives. But, its highly situational, as blinking onto targets when you attack them quickly gets you killed if they're firechains, molten, plagued etc.

In summary, the set up i used and like for act 1 is x resist, dex, vit on all pieces. fast 1h and shield. attackspeed + dex ammy, rings and gloves. You should be able to get 300-350 resist for less than 100k on the AH.

edit: one with everything and seize the initiative are basically mandatory. the 3rd passive is up for debate. a lot of people dont realise that resolve actually does a lot less than it says. its 25% after your armor and/or resists are applied. and its not even 100% uptime, and it wont always be on every target. i like beacon of ytar, transcendence and near death experience are also good, depending on the situation.

just did a search for 50dex, 50vit, 30 x resist pieces, and there were 26 pages of armor for 5k or less. thats your whole character for 50k. easy 300 resist and 20k+ hp. you dont even need to worry about +all resist pieces until act 2
    Last edited by asharia; 2012-06-08 at 06:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What asharia says is in my opinion the best way to go for act I. You won't need to spend a lot of gold to get the gear required to start farming Warden/Butcher. Drop the Daibo, and go with a fast 1hander (daggers are good) with a good shield with high block and defence. I used a build like this when I just started out in act I.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Yhg!YUX!Zbccaa

You can switch the Mantra of Evasion, for Mantra of Healing with Time of Need rune if you feel that gives you more survivability.