Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by saffi View Post
    Justice is meted out as the courts see fit in accordance with the law. In Norway, we live in a democracy. Anyone is free to join any political party and try to change the laws as they see fit. Sorry, but opinions and emotions aren't going to cut it in a court of law.

Oh and how do you know that these were violent criminals? I read through the article and nowhere did it state anything about any of them being violent.
    I'm no longer specifically referring to these particular criminals (though earlier in the thread it was mentioned that some were murderers).

I'm talking about in general. I have no doubt the Nordic ways work for them. I don't think the statistics lie either. I couldn't bear to live under them though. That's why I don't. It's also why I fight this progressive horseshit here at home as much as I can.

For Christ's sake kids get punished more harshly for breaking tableware than violent criminals do for murder under such regimes. How does that not scream "insanity"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right an' proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So you have a system with... What for justice?

For a system based on fairness and ethics, there sure seems to be a pile of jack shit available for victims.

I'll say it again. Just because something works does not make it ethical. Just because something does not always work doesn't make it unethical.

It seems to me the Norwegian penal system puts the criminal in a higher position than the victim. That seems incredibly backwards to me.
    If we based a system on emotion then rape should very much carry the death penalty - however that is the most idiotic thing you could ever do if you care about the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Purely measuring the amount of pleasure attained, that means Sweden still wins.

Besides, they bake cakes too!

I say: More power to these inmates! They probably should have left some cake for the guards; I think I would have, but hey...

I'd say this was definitely a band-aid to my faith in humanity.
    If you think a penis gives more pleasure than a hat, you have clearly never heard from the Team Fortress community.

---------- Post added 2012-06-09 at 02:36 PM ----------

I understand that Americas system is barbaric and needs reform. But the day violent criminals have access to suite cells with plasma TVs and... Basically a fucking resort? Thats the day I pack my shit and move to south America. Id sooner live in a Developing nation than know that a man who raped my daughter (hypothetical) was going to spend the next ten years in an apartment on my dime learning to bake fucking cupcakes and climbing rocks.
    In all fairness, you could just kill the man you raped your daughter and then go bake cupcakes and climb rocks yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    If you think a penis gives more pleasure than a hat, you have clearly never heard from the Team Fortress community.

---------- Post added 2012-06-09 at 02:36 PM ----------

In all fairness, you could just kill the man you raped your daughter and then go bake cupcakes and climb rocks yourself.
    Quite right - and even for all its supposed luxuries there arent many people who would willingly go to jail in Norway - standard of living is too good...

This is Murika

We can't do things that the Nordic countries are doing. No matter how well it's working.

I understand that Americas system is barbaric and needs reform. But the day violent criminals have access to suite cells with plasma TVs and... Basically a fucking resort? Thats the day I pack my shit and move to south America. Id sooner live in a Developing nation than know that a man who raped my daughter (hypothetical) was going to spend the next ten years in an apartment on my dime learning to bake fucking cupcakes and climbing rocks.
    And you are of course free to move wherever you wish. I'm just telling you that the scandanavian justice system is not going to change anytime soon unless a political earthquake happens.

I don't think you understand how norwegian prisons work. You need to do something major to go to prison here. We don't just arrest anyone and everyone. Violent crime as in street violence will normally get you arrested, but not for very long. You'll get a really hefty fine and a spot on your record. Guess what, next time you apply to some place that requires you to have a spot-free record, you won't be able to produce it. This combined with the fact that Norway has such a small population (i.e word gets around real fucking fast that you've been a douche) prevents a lot of people from doing stupid shit (like picking a bar fight with a bouncer or w/e)

When it comes to more serious crime like rape, justice is already too late. The best you can do at this point is prevent the perpetrator from repeating the offense, and learn from the case. If you have more severe penalties, it might deter some, but it might also encourage an already deranged criminal to kill their victim instead of simply assaulting them, either right away or as a revenge for reporting them to the police.

It's very clear that we aren't going to agree, so lets just agree to disagree and move on =)