Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    SWTOR had massive potential, considering the huge development time they had (remember those pre alpha screenshots from 2006?), the supposed crazy high budget they had, and ofcourse all the hype they produced about the game "changing the face of the MMO genre forever".

What we got in the end was well... just awful. I'd say TOR is the biggest letdown in gaming for me so far.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2012-06-12 at 12:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

Likewise the previously-intended but never created Stargate MMORPG. Talk about a premise that leads directly to infinite expansion possibilities. >_<
    I was gonna be a jaffa

Out of the MMORPGs that I tried (SWTOR, Warhammer, Aion, TERA, Age of Conan, LOTRO, FF14), I think SWTOR and Warhammer both had massive potential, but neither lived up to it. Of course, there's still a chance for SWTOR (I loved the story, but found the endgame lacking), but Warhammer is basically S.O.L.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-06-12 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I stand corrected - judging by the emails I still get from them, it *actually* sounds like they've changed a lot. I might try the next beta weekend, since I actually want TSW to be good.
    I didn't mean to be a snot about it, it's just that the game still has potential, and Funcom seems to know that. They're working crazy hard on it. The difference between last beta weekend and the one coming up is very substantial. I don't want to give anything away, but anyone that's actually interested in the game and has played the previous beta weekends should notice a subtle improvement.

My issue with the hate against TSW isn't that people don't like a game that I find interesting. It's that people don't understand that their opinions can hold a lot of weight. If enough people went around saying that GW2 is a disappointment and it's going to flop, a lot of people would be turned off by it and not give it another look. We, as gamers, are killing any chance of improvement to the MMO genre by being so damn negative all the time. Everybody wants something different from WoW, but they don't want to give anything a chance if it isn't WoW or the next "WoW killer." New games aren't perfect right away, so why give them a chance right?

We need a few other MMOs to do well long enough to get their legs under them. Even if you don't plan on playing anything other than WoW, it's in your best interests that other games find their footing and succeed (by succeed, I only mean a million or two buyers/subs). The more games that put a dent in WoW's sub numbers, the better. Competition breeds improvements and innovation. Just imagine what kind of computers we'd still have these days if IBM or Apple decided some time in the late 80's that their current product was good enough, and nobody disagreed with them. We'd still be playing Oregon Trail. You can only die of dysentery so many times before it stops being fun.

I don't see any game taking the place of WoW in my gaming, regardless of however many MMO's come out. But I'm tired of WoW being good enough when I know they can do better. If there was another MMO or two out there that really grabbed and kept some players, maybe it would wake Blizzard up and show them what they could really do with such a good game as WoW.

Deleted
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Top of the list for obvious reasons. Anyone posting, that doesn't have this on their list, hasn't played the game. Simple as that.
    This game was nothing BUT ambitions. The balls on the developers far outweighs the wallets at Blizzard!

Project Copernicus
    So much potential it actually hurts. I hope someone buys the IP and finishes it, but...

Tabula Rasa
    Really sorry to see this go. I was wanting to explore this game a lot more. Fascinating world and good combat.

Warhammer Online
    Still alive, but not so kicking anymore.

Allods Online
    SO unique. Has to be experienced. Download it and play for free today.
    Just don't touch that cash shop. It may seem more reasonable today, but it killed the game.

The Secret World
    Not even out yet, but clearly heading for this list.

Stargate Worlds
    The most obvious canditate for an mmorpg ever. Too bad the investors backed out.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-06-12 at 05:52 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I didn't mean to be a snot about it, it's just that the game still has potential, and Funcom seems to know that. They're working crazy hard on it. The difference between last beta weekend and the one coming up is very substantial. I don't want to give anything away, but anyone that's actually interested in the game and has played the previous beta weekends should notice a subtle improvement.

My issue with the hate against TSW isn't that people don't like a game that I find interesting. It's that people don't understand that their opinions can hold a lot of weight. If enough people went around saying that GW2 is a disappointment and it's going to flop, a lot of people would be turned off by it and not give it another look. We, as gamers, are killing any chance of improvement to the MMO genre by being so damn negative all the time. Everybody wants something different from WoW, but they don't want to give anything a chance if it isn't WoW or the next "WoW killer." New games aren't perfect right away, so why give them a chance right?

We need a few other MMOs to do well long enough to get their legs under them. Even if you don't plan on playing anything other than WoW, it's in your best interests that other games find their footing and succeed (by succeed, I only mean a million or two buyers/subs). The more games that put a dent in WoW's sub numbers, the better. Competition breeds improvements and innovation. Just imagine what kind of computers we'd still have these days if IBM or Apple decided some time in the late 80's that their current product was good enough, and nobody disagreed with them. We'd still be playing Oregon Trail. You can only die of dysentery so many times before it stops being fun.

I don't see any game taking the place of WoW in my gaming, regardless of however many MMO's come out. But I'm tired of WoW being good enough when I know they can do better. If there was another MMO or two out there that really grabbed and kept some players, maybe it would wake Blizzard up and show them what they could really do with such a good game as WoW.
    Heck, I'll try the next beta weekend to see how much they've changed. Like I said - I want TSW to be a good game.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Dungeons and Dragons Online: Eberon Unlimited. I had a lot of fun with that game.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Which MMO do you think had potential to be a great game. Not necessarily as popular like WoW, but still a solid fan base. Imo one of these is Age of Conan. I loved it's gameplay, graphics, music etc. Sucks that most servers were ghost towns.
    Dungeons & Dragons Online was sorta progressive for it's time and has some of the best dungeon design I have seen till this day. DDO had a bit of a resurgence when it went F2P, but I often wonder what could have been had it enough polish on release. Esp. with new MMOs having a lot of elements seen in DDO.

Couple of other MMOs I felt could have been great w/ more development:

- Vanguard; A potential successor to Everquest at it's height. To some degree it does fill that niche till this day. Poor shipping product, bugs and some really obtuse design decisions I felt sunk the game too early.

- Chronicles of Spellborn; Brilliant combat and skill system. Very atypical at the time. Just a solid game with great idea but no publisher to believe in it.

This has to be said

Shadowbane.

Why?

Shadowbane was a real mans PvP game. Not as hardcore as UO, but close enough. Everything in that game was player made. Player cities and guilds were also one of the main focuses. People didnt pvp for rank or better equipment, They pvp'd because it was fun. Being able to burn down another guilds city just because they said mean things to you was the best feeling in an mmo you could have. To this day I have never had a more fun mmo experience than I did in Shadowbane.

The character skill customization was also the best customization in any game ever. You could customize stats, skills, skill mastery, and add additional skills through disciplines, and customize equipment stats. There was very little balance that the game needed, as customization was so advanced that every build had a few counter builds. You could make an unstoppable monster truck of destruction that roflstomped most competition...until someone figured out a counter build, which would then make your monster truck look like a tricycle. Character leveling wasnt that bad (you could go from 1 to max in a few days), so people were constantly making new characters and builds.

I could go on for pages, but ill just link this instead.

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.co...itle=Main_Page

also, as the game is shut down now...

http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/

The game had so much potential that was wasted by an in-experienced dev team.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vanguard: SOH .. .only thing that seemed to feel "everquesty" to me, and loved it until level 35 despite all its bugs. Got to 50, empty world and the entire Dev team fired