Not so much a fix my dps thread...

Although I know it needs fixing I'm really new at this and need to understand how to figure out what needs fixing.

So I setup a WOL account and uploaded my first log file - my question is how do I understand what it's telling me?

www worldoflogs com/reports/9pxqn5nitjzavz21/?s=26&e=240

armory in case it's needed.

us battle net/wow/en/character/norgannon/Notho/advanced

any help you can give would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Notho; 2012-06-09 at 06:43 AM. Reason: fix armory

Cant get your armory to show but on WoL I dont see you using Serpent Sting at all

Plus training dummies arent really for testing dps they are more for getting your rotation right

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Thank you I think I fixed the armory.

I see this for serpent sting?

Serpent Sting 329071 6.7 % - - - 37 3017.4 111645 34 6394.9 217426 - -

anyway, yeah the training dummy is just to help me learn.

I think the problem is that you started your log after you were already attacking the target, which means that the initial application of serpent sting isn't in the log. This means that although it's tracking the damage done by your sting, it doesn't show up in the buffs cast, which means you can't easily check on things like uptime.

In terms of how to analyze the log, it's hard to really do much with a dummy log except look and make sure you're not doing obvious things wrong like letting sting drop off or clipping explosive shots or forgetting to use your CDs. If you want to dig around in the log you can check for things like if you're using your lock and loads properly but it requires a some study to track that stuff. One thing that is helpful is you can go to the expression editor and use an expression like this:

sourcename = 'Notho' AND (type = TYPE_CAST OR (spell = 'Lock and Load' AND fulltype = SPELL_AURA_APPLIED))
    This will limit the ability list to just spells cast and Lock and Load procs, and then you can click on the timeline tab and use the "plot spells timeline" which can let you see your shot pattern more graphically. It may help in figuring out if you're mistiming things, although without the ability to see your current focus the log will always be a little limited as an analysis tool.

One reason why logs from boss fights can be easier to analyze in some ways is that you can use CompareBot (http://raidbots.com/comparebot/) to compare to other hunter logs on the same fight and see how you might be differing on things like ability uses.

Thanks - you've given me a lot to think about.

ah, I see on the ss.

I ran through lfr this morning so a better view would be :

www worldoflogs com/guilds/212469/

Thanks!
    Last edited by Notho; 2012-06-09 at 04:38 PM. Reason: new link