gtx680 with surround - missing display modes?

I recently upgraded from 2 x gtx 570 cards in sli to one gtx 680. (will probably get a 2nd 680 down the road. performance is very similar with the new single 680, but now I have no heat issues. anyway...)

with my old video cards, I had the display resolution set (I THINK) 4860x1200 in windowed mode (no fullscreen) on (3) 1920x1200 monitors. I prefer this setting as it allows me to see a decent amount of screen area on either side of wow for background applications.

With both hardware setups windows display resolution is set to 5760x1200

Now with the new card, the only widescreen options I have are
    3840x800
    4320x900
    5760x1200

I tried to set this in the config.wtf file by adding the line
    SET gxResolution "4860x1200"

it works! but when I go into options > graphics I get the below

img84.imageshack.us/img84/5029/68201210858am.jpg

the refresh rate is wrong, along with the resolution, and it keeps enabling vsync.
    if I exit out again, and relaunch, it reverts back to 5760x1200. modifying AA settings doesn't make a difference.

I have set my config.wtf to read only and it retains the gxResoltion value, but I still see the same in the screen shot above.
    Any Ideas?

You can add custom resolutions in the nvidia driver that then are available in every application.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    You can add custom resolutions in the nvidia driver that then are available in every application.
    This. Plus, you may want to disable the option that forces the start bar into the center monitor since you play full screen windowed. The way that the new driver forces center start bar plays hell with windowed mode games and will force it on top of the game and ignore auto-hide options. This problem goes away if you allow it to span all monitors and/or move it to a fourth monitor(my configuration).

---------- Post added 2012-06-08 at 04:36 PM ----------

Also I would just like to mention I did the exact same thing you did and replaced my pair of GTX 570s with a 680. Similar performance, but I am not able to run all four of my monitors off one card and that makes me smile every time I sit down at my desk

thanks I will try adding the display area in the nvidia control panel

And, yes, I have disabled the option for the centered taskbar. things get cluttered quickly if not .

I will say it is nice that with the new card, windows dont maximize across all 3 displays. not sure if its a function of the card or the latest drivers. with my old sli setup, I had nview installed to manage that (which wasnt initially easy since its only "supposed" to be offered with the quadro line, not geforce.) Now i have it disabled

That feature is from the driver. It was added the same time that they added the force to center option for the start bar. It is funny how it works. Surround is, essentially, a virtual monitor, which the driver then breaks into three virtual, virtual monitors. I feel the need to post a picture of Xzibit, but I will fight the urge!

I was able to add 4680x1200 as a resolution, but now 5760x1200 is no longer an option.
    But I am using dameware to remote into my pc (Im at work now) so I should probably wait until I get home to fiddle with it

fwiw, turning off surround and putting the display to a single monitor allowed me to go into surround options, and add other display areas (including 4800x1200 which apparently is what I was ultimately looking for), and now the option is available in game.

thanks all for the quick replies.