[Monk] Inferno Act 3 - Resistances & DR

So I was looking at my resistances after clearing Act 2 Inferno, and I'm at 698(just about 70%) right now, but when using Time of Need to get resist up to 838, I only gain about 3.5% extra resist. Currently at the beginning of Act 3 Inferno, and can't do much because mobs hit me REALLY hard.

Is there some cutoff point that I should stop at, for resistances? Because sure, I can spend a million gold to get another 300 resist to get to 1k, but is ~6% extra damage reduction really the difference between winning or losing in Act 3/4?

Armor is at 75% with Hard Target and Keen Eye up, and resist is 70% at 698 resist all.

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    armor and resistance buff eachother

i have now with own buffes 1048 resi and 11k armor and its easy going act 3 - my problem is my dps for solo only 14k^^
    damn champions go enrage at 50% or something

but for smoooth playing go for 75% amor and 75% resi - some hp 35-40k hp and you have no problem

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here are my stats with Blazing Wrath and MoE - Hard Target + Enchantress buff up:

I still have a fair bit of trouble with Act-3 and I'm forced to kite most stuff and gotta be really careful not to get swarmed.
    But as long as I watch my position and play smart my LoH with the relatively high IAS keeps me up quite well.
    Though almost all elite packs are pretty much hit'n'run and go in every 20 seconds with blind+serenity to do the damage

I dont use Keen Eye for Deadly Reach but the 18% dmg increase rune. It's better to stack more damage since the armor increase wont enable you to actually tank the elites, so its better to just stack the damage. Just get enough base mitigation not to get literally instagibbed. You're *almost* there mitigation wise, though.

Long story short: You cannot actually TANK anything in Act3/4 apart from normal mobs, and even those are a bit troublesome. Get a bit more mitigation to up your surv a bit and then get more damage. Or well, with really really good gear I guess you could tank some weak elites with affixes that arent super-anti-melee.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2012-06-08 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    I still have a fair bit of trouble with Act-3 and I'm forced to kite most stuff and gotta be really careful not to get swarmed.
    But as long as I watch my position and play smart my LoH with the relatively high IAS keeps me up quite well.
    Though almost all elite packs are pretty much hit'n'run and go in every 20 seconds with blind+serenity to do the damage

I dont use Keen Eye for Deadly Reach but the 18% dmg increase rune. It's better to stack more damage since the armor increase wont enable you to actually tank the elites, so its better to just stack the damage. Just get enough base mitigation not to get literally instagibbed. You're *almost* there mitigation wise, though.

Long story short: You cannot actually TANK anything in Act3/4 apart from normal mobs, and even those are a bit troublesome. Get a bit more mitigation to up your surv a bit and then get more damage. Or well, with really really good gear I guess you could tank some weak elites with affixes that arent super-anti-melee.
    I tried the +18% damage rune, and I lose ~6.5% armor damage reduction, in favor of...roughly 1500 damage. Not sure if want. Normal mobs are hitting me pretty hard in Act 3, I'm forced to blind/immune or else I die really fast.

But Act3/4 are more forced kitefest for elites? Wonderful. Guess I'll just keep leveling my wizard until 1.0.3 then. Seriously blizz, I'm not playing a melee class to kite all the time.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    I tried the +18% damage rune, and I lose ~6.5% armor damage reduction, in favor of...roughly 1500 damage. Not sure if want. Normal mobs are hitting me pretty hard in Act 3, I'm forced to blind/immune or else I die really fast.

But Act3/4 are more forced kitefest for elites? Wonderful. Guess I'll just keep leveling my wizard until 1.0.3 then. Seriously blizz, I'm not playing a melee class to kite all the time.
    You can tank some packs unless its a naturally strong mob type or it has molten/firechains or something like that.

My LoH and increased IAS really helps with normal mobs, hence I go with the increased damage. The knockback from FoT keeps em locked down pretty well as long as I position myself correclty.

But I do have a bit more resists and armor than you (without the Keen Eye buff at least) so thats prolly the difference there.

Personally I'm leveling a Wizard as well (lvl54 atm) but its mostly just for fun. I'm gonne keep playing my Monk and I hope that the next patch will fix some of the issues. It's okay having to hit'n'run against heavy anti-melee-affix champions but having to do it against almost 90% of the packs in Act3/4 is kinda stupid atm.

I guess with absolutely insane gear you can tank about 50% of the elites or so, but even so most anti-melee stuff is a kitefest which is "ok'ish". But it's silly how gear dependant it is atm. It should be ok as long as they tone stuff down just a wee bit.
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2012-06-08 at 11:05 PM.

Deleted
    So I was looking at my resistances after clearing Act 2 Inferno, and I'm at 698(just about 70%) right now, but when using Time of Need to get resist up to 838, I only gain about 3.5% extra resist. Currently at the beginning of Act 3 Inferno, and can't do much because mobs hit me REALLY hard.

Is there some cutoff point that I should stop at, for resistances? Because sure, I can spend a million gold to get another 300 resist to get to 1k, but is ~6% extra damage reduction really the difference between winning or losing in Act 3/4?

Armor is at 75% with Hard Target and Keen Eye up, and resist is 70% at 698 resist all.
    An additional 6% (70% to 76%) is not 6% more damage reduction but actually 20% extra damage reduction because 6 of the remaining 30 is 20%. So to answer your question, yes 300 more resist will help you a lot.

You should also use Keen Eye because just like resistance it does not work the way you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    An additional 6% (70% to 76%) is not 6% more damage reduction but actually 20% extra damage reduction because 6 of the remaining 30 is 20%.
    ...I don't follow. Going from 70% damage reduction to 76% damage reduction is actually 20% less damage? 6% = 20% ? I'm lost.

...I don't follow. Going from 70% damage reduction to 76% damage reduction is actually 20% less damage? 6% = 20% ? I'm lost.

What he means is that if your damage reduction is at 70% you take 30% damage from all sources. If you take 6% dmg less, you take 24% dmg. Compared to 30% it's a 20% difference since 6 is 20% of 30.

But I dunno if you can really calculate it that way, since there is armor as a primary dmg reduction source and resistances as a secondary source, which work together synergetically. I am saying that a 70% dmg reduction from resistances does not mean that you reduce dmg by 70%. If armor reduces dmg by 70% and you take 10k dmg, armor makes it 3k. If resistances also reduce dmg by 70%, the 3k dmg become 900. But for what it's worth, 6% more dmg reduction through resistances is not = 6% less dmg. It's way greater than that, although I am not even sure that dmg recution works the way I described it. In any case, 6% more reduction at resistances is very strong. I just know it from experience. Otherwise you could get all the gear you wanted in the game and still be a onehit in inferno, if it weren't for a mechanic that makes resistances stronger than they first seem.

Edit: It indeed is a 20% dmg reduction. If I take aboves example and take 76% dmg reduction from resistances instead of 70%, the 900 become 720 ((100%-76%=)24% of 3000 = 720). And that is a difference of (900-720=)180, which is 20% of 900. So, in the end the dmg you take is 20% less than before. That should be right, I think. And the fact that monks and barbs take 30% less dmg in general does not change that in any way: 10k dmg --> 30% from that = 7k. Reduction through armor: 70% --> 7000 dmg become 2100. Further 70% dmg reduction through resistances make the 2100 dmg become 630. A 76% dmg reduction would have made it 504 dmg, which is 126 less than 630. And 126 is on top of that 20% of 630.

Now I understood this and I hope you did, too.
    Last edited by JayJay09; 2012-06-09 at 01:38 AM.

Say mob hits you for 1000. With 70% damage reduction you'd get 300 damage. With 76% - 240 damage, which is 20% less than 300.