Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Impressions so far

Its ok.

The movement and the feel of the game in general feels a little dated and certainly nothing exciting unfortunately.
    The graphics I would say the same about even if it is a large scaled world. The graphics seem dated for a 2012 game.
    The combat brings nothing new either, I was in another thread discussing this and was told the combat was more similar to TERA compared to other MMO's but this is not true and disappointed me. Its the same old tab - 1,1,1,2 rhythm
    The game in general, interface, character, skills etc... Wasnt too simple to figure out and will definitely take some time getting used to.

The quests I enjoyed though, they are pretty straight forward and satisfactory fun.

I was excited to try out the PvP so joined the WvW thingy and I found that way to overwhelming for the little time I had, definitely something thats gonna take some time getting used too also. I felt lost, not knowing what I am doing and stuff. Even with an instructor there giving me a sort of manual I didnt have a clue lol

Friend of mine put it a little more simpler in shorter words and believes the game is abit of a mess atm, I guess I agree. It is only a beta though, and shouldnt affect my final judgement of the game at release.

All in all, I dont think the game has been made very welcoming to noobies at all. Ive no idea how similar everything works to Guild Wars 1 but all I can say is if you havent played Guild Wars 1 then you will probably feel confused most of the time playing Guild Wars 2 if this weekend will be the first time you play it anyway.

Deleted
    How long have you played it for?

Quote Originally Posted by DStrux View Post
    The combat brings nothing new either, I was in another thread discussing this and was told the combat was more similar to TERA compared to other MMO's but this is not true and disappointed me. Its the same old tab - 1,1,1,2 rhythm
    ...????

Where the heck do people get this stuff from?

Have you even unlocked all your weapon skills?

I mean, have you even killed more than 30 mobs?
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldnt agree more tbh, but seeing as this is the gw2 forum i think youll find a lot of people will get on the defensive. Im glad that arena net are taking time on releasing this, we do not want to see another overhyped game fail like conan. For me Teras combat system is so superior to this its untrue, half the time I button bash while surrounded by tons of other people. I also agree about it not being overly noob friendly, I still have no idea how to tame a pet for my ranger :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    ...????

Have you even unlocked all your weapon skills?

I mean, have you even killed more than 30 mobs?
    exactly you dont even need to tab really, just mash 1-5

Considering you only played for an hour or two with this BWE, I think you should level up higher. Levels 1-15 are relatively easy combat wise, it's so people can get into the game easier and as you progress it gets harder. After level 30 combat becomes even more difficult based on Numbers of mobs and execution of abilities/combinations.

Graphics are still being worked on and still being optimized, they should be even better looking at release.
    Tera's combat is horrible and shouldn't even be compared to GW2's. Later in game you will be using more then just your normal abilities due to combat scaling, you will have to cycle in utilities and elite moves as well as weapon swapping a lot more.
    As for 'simple to figure out', no game is entirely -join game instant knowledge of everything- (ever), so of course you're going to have to learn which buttons open up what and how traits work out so you can optimize them to their full potential.

Just keep these things in mind as you progress, remember, only the starting areas in PvE are released right now. So of course they are easy. Once you hit 30, try doing the dungeons and you will realize how much you depend on every ability you have to just survive.

Not trying to be -defensive- but only 2 hours of gameplay with this BWE won't give you the full view of the game. Stick with it and keep an open mind, remember, there is no subscription. That means if you get bored you can always come back later ^^

Don't be an arse.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-06-08 at 08:53 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

If you're standing there hitting 1 key and letting everything hit you, you're doing it wrong. It works at low levels, because at the beginning you only have one skill per weapon, but it soon changes since you'll start unlocking skills (though stays fairly easy until you ~15+), unless you're constantly weapon swapping and not learning the skills. If you're hitting abilities (besides 1) as soon as they're off cooldown, you're likely doing it wrong as well, since most are situational and if you're hitting them on CD they won't be available when you do need them (obviously varies by weapon).

Depending on your computer, graphics may or may not be amazing. There's still optimization to be done, and likely (hopefully) a shift to DX11. The other question when it comes to graphics is, is your dislike a question of style or quality. Style is obviously going to be very subjective, while quality...well see the first half of this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    exactly you dont even need to tab really, just mash 1-5
    Good luck with that outside starter zones. Your Profession/Healing/etc talents are pretty much a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    ]Don't be an arse.
    It's a default state. I lay down harsh truths and smash lazy misinformation. I'm a bringer of light and slayer of fools.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-06-08 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with that outside starter zones. Your Profession/Healing/etc talents are pretty much a must.
    was being sarcastic :P I used my heal a lot seeing as i cant get used to dodging :P

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    was being sarcastic :P I used my heal a lot seeing as i cant get used to dodging :P
    Which might be why you're currently unsatisfied with combat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Sadly I agree with you on all your points. I've felt the same way since BWE 1.

It's a default state. I lay down harsh truths and smash lazy misinformation. I'm a bringer of light and slayer of fools.
    Nothing you said was 'harsh truth' or even smashing 'misinformation'. You kinda just called him out by saying 'Where the heck do people get this stuff from?'.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    My impression: game crashes every time I get into a 5v5 match.
    Can't PvP? Post on forums.

BTW, get back to me about your "mash 1-5" theory after you've done some PvP. Damn scrubs think they know a thing or two. I'll tell you what! There's a lot of strategy that goes into the combat, most of it is in movement and placement. Using your skills and utilities correctly is a big deal, especially in PvP.

So don't come up in here with your guns drawn and pulling a fast "mash 1-5" card on us. It just shows that you don't know what the hell you're doing or saying.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 2012-06-08 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Nothing you said was 'harsh truth' or even smashing 'misinformation'. You kinda just called him out by saying 'Where the heck do people get this stuff from?'.
    Illumination of misinformation decreases the culmination of baseless rationalization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illumination of misinformation decreases the culmination of baseless rationalization.
    In other words: you don't need to solidly give the harsh truth if the other person is wrong to begin with. You can pretty much just say "you're wrong", not give any supportive evidence of your claim, and still be completely right.

So, to the OP: you're wrong. L2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried dodging?

Deleted
    first impressions were similar it didn't wow me or drag me in like WoW, Tor and Rift have in the past, but i'll give it plenty of time over the weekend.

They need to improve the starting experiance though, its not well tutorialed or explained and the first hour of the game was a bit of a slog, lets hope its better tomorrow.

i call a troll thread, half of those statements can be thrown out of the windows. /thread.

Please post productively and refrain from simply calling other posters trolls. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-09 at 10:09 PM.

I think the movement/controls are great. A bit of fine-tuning and it will be very fluid.

What pisses me off is when a mob leashes when I haven't kited it very far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    "Idiocracy" becoming reality in the US, "Planet of the Apes" becoming a reality in Europe.

How do we que for PvP bgs?