Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rift or Aion? Need a game.

Ok, so I'm looking to try either Rift or Aion (played both before, Aion when it was first released and Rift about 6 months ago). I don't really remember Aion and I see it's free-to-play now? (no level cap on the free?) and I know Rift is 1-20 on a trial, I just never liked the "clunky" interface. I don't even remember what Aions interface was like.

I know sub numbers aren't everything, but for games that "just came out" (in terms of MMO world definitions), sub numbers really do dictate alot of players opinions. I seen (if accurate) Rift has something like 200-250k subs, and Aion has 1mill-ish, which could be attributed to the complete free to play aspect.

So, I guess what I'm asking which do you guys prefer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither.

Gun to my head and I would say Rift is the better choice, Aion is really bad.

When I last played Rift the ability delay was worse than SWTOR.

edit: wth has Aion got a link to Age of Conan??? wtf when I edited this it's now away???
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2012-06-09 at 12:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is the best mmo aside from WoW on the market atm, go with rift.

I know this isn't one of the two - but by those two choices i say TERA. Tera is fun, I was suprised.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rift ..........
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Is Wolfsbane still the most populated server? Guilds? Raiding?

Only tried Rift and the little I tried was pretty decent and I would probably play it if I wasn't playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I know this isn't one of the two - but by those two choices i say TERA. Tera is fun, I was suprised.
    I did look at it, was actually on their forums today. Seemed they have been getting alot of bad press on their own forums lately? I'd try it (non java-based trial lul) but I don't think they have trials yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR is bad, but still better than Rift. Rift is probably the 3rd best MMO on the market.

Deleted
    Pretty sure Rift has a lot more subs than that, either way I doubt Aion is as good a game with as dedicated devs as Rift, I would seriously give Rift a go again, the ui seems weird at first but you get used to it and you find it won't bother you anymore. Also Rift has an expansion coming out fall this year so that could be exciting. Also, In Rift you get a free character transfer per character every week (or is it every 2?) so if you find yourself on a dead shard you can just transfer, and the transfer is instant, no waiting for it to be checked etc.

the only bad side of Rift IMO is the very traditional leveling, although it is quick and you will find yourself at 50 in no time, really the game starts at 50 though so if you do try it get to 50 before passing judgement.

Im going to stick my head out here and say: I think Rift is the best MMO on the market right now, it has caring devs, constant and consistent updates and even though it isn't backed by wows sub numbers, it still feels alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    SWTOR is bad, but still better than Rift. Rift is probably the 3rd best MMO on the market.
    Yea, no. Sorry but bought Tor (sadly) and it's a horrible game, I really hope one of these two can beat it. Otherwise the MMO scene really is in a bad shape.

Deleted
    You could re-instal aion to see for your self, but it's really horrible. F2P has it's perks but i don't think it's enough to balance the lag spikes nor the insane amount of goldsellers. Heck, general chat is unusable due to goldsellers spam !

Out of those two, Rift is definitively the better one.
    btw, i belive Rift has addons nowdays, so you can change the defaut UI to something better suited to your taste.

Aion.

I'ts F2P now, so when you get bored and come back to WoW, you won't have spent anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Deleted
    I've not played Rift, but I tried Aion and I was not impressed.
    On the other hand it is F2P so you do not have to pay a monthly subscription

Rift.

Patches released so frequently that you definately get your moneys worth, and a huge new expansion coming out in Autumn.

And Ayashi, you never needed addons to change the UI in Rift, even from day one of release. From release, in options, there was an option that allowed you to rearrange and reset the entire UI and move it however you liked it, just like SWTOR introduced in 1.2 but better. Even better, if you make a new character you can import all UI and keybind settings from another character, so if you spend itme getting everything just the way you want it on one character, you never need to bother going through it all again.

Rift is a vastly superior game to anything out there on the market, and Trion is the only MMO developer I have ever felt guilty for not paying, as I have no active subscriptions to an MMO running atm.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Try Tera online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aion is F2P, so that's a plus, and Rift on the other hand is trying to keep on cranking out content, with a first xpac coming out already (like less than 1.5 years since the first release)

If you really want to pick one of these, I'd personally go for Rift if you want constant content, and no silly F2P BS. Otherwise Aion if you're short on money. But really, I personally have enough between WoW, GW2, and Tera... Want the WvWvW and no-subscription and some innovation on the area of questing, wait for GW2, like the oldschool style of MMO, just go with WoW, as it has the most endgame (dungeons, raids, challenge modes, scenarios, and pet battles if that's your thing), and if you like really good combat go Tera.

But yeah, perhaps you have reasons why you only want Rift or Aion, I guess

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Is Wolfsbane still the most populated server? Guilds? Raiding?
    keep in mind you can transfer your character for free, so if you just start on any shard then you can transfer to the one you wish to home when you are 50, if your EU then I think Icewatch is one of, if not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    Aion.

I'ts F2P now, so when you get bored and come back to WoW, you won't have spent anything.
    I don't know. I played WoW for 7 years, at the end (3 months ago) of my stretch in WoW I just whore the AH made my million and got out. Raiding (particularly DS) wasn't fun. I came back about a week ago (SoR) to see if I could get hooked again (and trash the economy by dumping my stockpile on the AH) and did a random and it just "wasn't there" for me. I don't really think I'll be going back.

I should also add a little more depth to my ToR comment.

I'm not the gamer who cares about story-lines, voice-overs or quick leveling/no gear-grinds. I'm definitely of the mentality that (in a MMO) you SHOULD have to invest time into your chars. I definitely don't mind running things to get better gear. I don't mind the "kill 10 boars" quests since I just know that's how meaningful "leveling" works.

I would probably try ToR again (heard alot of the issues, like sliding animations, were fixed recently) but I don't think spending (yea, I know a paltry amount) $15 just to see if the quirks I didn't like about it were fixed. If they had a "Try ToR again" thing, I would definitely do it. As bad as it is (even in "real-life") first impressions are EVERYTHING to me. If I happen to catch you on a bad day and you were a total douche I would most likely never give you the chance to talk to me again because of your first impression. WoW, after 7 years, is very polished and sadly people see that, and when they try a new game and the new game flops on the first impression it's inherently difficult to win that customer back.

At launch+1 month, ToR was a horrible game. I can't honestly say how it is now though.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is the best!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g