10+ Year Old Account

Is this a scam, and is it a violation of TOS?

I was just curious of people's opinions.

A guy is selling the Plans: Staff of Herding for 50k. The same plans that, if you can use, you can buy yourself for 1g from the vendor in Act 4.

He said it himself, he's banking on the fact that people don't know you can buy it from the vendor.

Is that considered a scam, basically getting money from people due to simply not knowing something? If so, is that any kind of violation of Terms of Use?

Deleted
    No. too short.

Deleted
    It's a scam in the moral sense but not the legal/TOS sense.

No, taking advantage from people who are stupid is the best way to make money in the world, not just Diablo.

Not a scam, people's stupidity is something smart people should profit on.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Nope as mentioned earlier it is not a scam trying to sell items at a much higher price then you bought it.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

10+ Year Old Account
    It's bind on account isn't it?
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

The original plans are drop only and account bound.
    The other plans are 1g off the vendor but account bound as well.
    He cannot trade them.
    He would have to invite you to a game and point you to a vendor.

I wouldn't consider it a scam. If you sell someone Tea in WoW that they could buy from a vendor for 5 copper, but you sell it to them for 1 silver, you wouldn't get banned. People do it all the time tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Celidion View Post
    No, taking advantage from people who are stupid is the best way to make money in the world, not just Diablo.
    Yeah, I mean, look at CoD. *puts up flame shield*

But yeah, this isn't against the rules, it's just banking on the stupidity of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

d2 used o be way. i doubt there is a scam going on

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    Not a scam, people's stupidity is something smart people should profit on.

No, people shouldn't do that. It's wrong. As said by Felfury, morally wrong but not Legal/ToS wrong.

Deleted
    he is using his power of wisdom for the greater cash income. he violates nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I was just curious of people's opinions.

A guy is selling the Plans: Staff of Herding for 50k. The same plans that, if you can use, you can buy yourself for 1g from the vendor in Act 4.

He said it himself, he's banking on the fact that people don't know you can buy it from the vendor.

Is that considered a scam, basically getting money from people due to simply not knowing something? If so, is that any kind of violation of Terms of Use?
    There's a fatal flaw in his "scam." The plans for all levels of the staff are BIND ON ACCOUNT, which means he can't sell them unless the intention was to exploit the fact that it cannot be sold or traded from one player to another in order to reel a few suckers into dropping their gold in face-to-face trades. If such was the case then, yes, that could possibly be an actionable offense if reported.

Some people just need to wise up and read the damn tooltips. -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

15+ Year Old Account
    It's good business.

If someone is willing and pays 50k for it then it's fair, just because they could of got it for 1g instead is irrelevant.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    It's good business.

If someone is willing and pays 50k for it then it's fair, just because they could of got it for 1g instead is irrelevant.

Except that every iteration of the plans, from Normal to Inferno, is account-bound and thus cannot be sold or traded between players. I'm flabbergasted that this point keeps getting overlooked.

If the guy is suckering people into giving him 50K for an item he knows he can't get rid of because it's bound to his account then that is a textbook scam.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2012-06-09 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Unlike in real life, there is no court or legal system to protect you from your own ignorance in Diablo 3.

The only reason I could see this being rational is if it's for an inferno level staff or something.

It's no different then finding a good item on a vendor in town and reselling it for profit. I doubled my gold a few times by buying rings that have stats like "5-10 damage +10% attack speed" for 5k off the vendor and them putting them on the AH for 10k. It takes a few days because of the 10 item limit, but you literaly double your money invested.

Hell I even remember selling dust of disappearance in wow (the dust needed to change glyphs) for twice sometimes even three times the price of the vendor on the AH. I made thousands of gold that way. Never underestimate how stupid some people are.

Deleted
    As people say, there is no rule about taking advantage of others lack of knowledge, but at the same time, he can't sell boa items, so if he is managing to sell a boa item then he's expoliting or doing something wrong (I'm guessing he just didn't realise it was boa though).

I've seen people advertising potions in general chat at 500g each in bulk, like 1000 potions at a time, quoting that it'll save you hundreds of thousands on buying potions at 610g from the vendor... without mentioning the fact that you can get them from special quest vendors at 310g...