Co-workers and Facebook friends + work ethic

Sorry for the long title.

I have somewhat of a dilemma, I currently am employed in fast food, and I have worked the longest out of any crew members who currently work at my store. I'm somewhat of a team leader, and I do every job, including training new crew on anything they are being trained on.

The issue that I have is that I'm facebook friends with a co-worker who we will call John, for obvious reasons. John has a lot of issues with working while on the job and his friend(s) are working as well. Such as, he likes to talk to other co-workers while on the job and not doing anything other than leaning on a counter or something, talk on his phone whether it's texting or calling someone while clocked in, and talk smack about the managers and store owners behind their backs.

I know my managers are no fools, and they clearly know John has had issues with authority such as theft (ordering food and then freeing it out which is against policy), the phone thing, and extreme rudeness just to name a few. Now, I know John can work hard when he tries, and that he is a halfway decent guy, but when myself, managers, and other co-workers are busting their humps and he is just standing around texting, eating food while in the kitchen clocked-in, and not doing the job he is asked I am at a loss for what to do.

I know my managers know he doesn't do anything, however I do not see any punishment going out to John (or any of his friends that are also co-workers who do the exact same as him) like write-ups, suspensions, termination, taking away the phone while on the job (which is a policy in our manual for all members of our corporation.).

The current problem, is that on his facebook he posted pictures of what he was doing today, which was cleaning the outside of the disgusting trash-bins of the black dirt and grime on them so that they return the grey shade they were when new. On the post he is stating things such as 'Man eff this job' and 'Fuck all the fat lazy people I work with' and other such things. Excuse my use of the curse-words but I'm just posting verbatim what it says.

So what do I do? I am not friends with my General Manager, however as a senior team-member I am quite close to her. I know she knows that John has a bad attitude and all the other things I've posted about him, but do I tell her and show her the stuff he put on his Facebook? Or do I just not do anything and continue on working like I didn't see and be forced to work with someone who couldn't care less if they had a job?

I hate telling on people because I feel like a ten year old kid, but I also hate having to work extremely hard at a job that's easy and is only difficult because someone is getting paid to text, facebook, call, BS with friends and basically not do anything.

Remember, it is not just John that has these issues, so I'm wondering if the GM and Assistant Managers do nothing because they'd have to punish several of the other co-workers as well.

Aveline's amazing work!

Deleted
    Do your best to get him fired, as a team leader you are responsible for his shit and he is taking the piss out of you. Write a letter to the general manager with a list of your concerns, at least this way you are covered if things go tits up.

Ok, however what can I do to get him fired faster when I'm fairly certain my GM knows what he does, how he acts, and what he says but has not acted on it in a job related way. The only way I see her handling it is by making him do jobs such as cleaning the bottom of a trash-can or washing out the drains and scrubbing them.

Aveline's amazing work!

Deleted
    I'd say leave it. It sounds like a pretty shitty job, and if he intends to half ass it then it is up to him and management. Being honest, you'd seem like a huge asshole for tattling to management because he posted on Facebook about how he hates cleaning the disgusting bins.

Deleted
    If it was just an isolated incident of someone posting that on facebook, I wouldn't do anything. However taken as part of a package where you know he is breaking rules and generally slacking off making other peoples' jobs harder, I'd say go with the suggestion above with writing out a letter with bullet points of your complaints about him. What they do with that is up to them, but as a team leader you are certainly within your rights and duties to report people like that. He doesn't deserve to have the job if he has so little respect for it - open up his spot for someone who really needs a job and will actually be grateful for it and pull their weight.

Deleted
    He called you fat and lazy. Get his ass fired.

Talk to your manager about it. Just start off slow saying the problem with john is getting out of hand and something needs to be done, then see where she goes with that. Honestly someone like that doesn't deserve to have a job.

Deleted
    Ask to speak to your manager and inform of his and the other co-workers attitudes.

Are you getting paid to do John and his slacker friends jobs? No! So don't take it, you may think "ah well grassing/telling on someone feels like being back in school" but at the end of the day you are doing other peoples work and they are getting paid for you to do this.

Why should your job be more difficult because someone was to fuck about? If you manager dosn't take action or care, demand for contact info of thier manager.

Deleted
    Try not to let guilt get in the way of your better judgement. If this is a long term thing, you may as well get rid of him. It'll serve to make your work environment a little more tolerable and will also send a strong message to others who may be tempted to see what they can get away with.

Do what you have to do, but leave social media out of it. There are possible legal and definitively ethical ramifications to allowing someone else viewing your FB page or someone else's.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.