Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    EVE also released a full year and a half before WoW, so it technically comes from the "before WoW' era of MMOs - along with it always having been a different beast.
    Agreed.

Also i find that the reason WoW lives on while other MMOs flounder, is simply they do it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good Question.

I noticed greatly that people talk shit about how other mmos fail in this part greatly or pales in comparison against wow, and vice versa as well.

The only answer I can think of is that people want the other games dead. Mainly because of hate. I know the reasons why I want wow dead and want gw2/rift/swtor/aion/eve/ultima and so forth. And I think its the same reason as well why people want gw2/rift/tor so on dead and want wow to be the top. Another reason could be because of just investment. They want their purchase on their investment to be worth something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turbe View Post
    Because WoW is a good game.
    More like:

"Because WoW is a monolith at this point and Blizzard isn't a company that's given to dramatic changes."

The reason other games get bashed for cloning WoW is because they should be focusing on improving the formula, not reproducing it. It's the same reason people bash Origin for being a steaming pile of shit even though Steam's launch wasn't any better - Origin is trying to copy Steam, so they should have taken Steam's lessons to heart, rather than repeating all the mistakes Steam made when it was getting its start.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

The reason why there's less complaining is simple. WoW does it better than most other games. Sure, we had to grind mobs in EQ, but there was very rarely a quest, and I don't recall ever getting XP for turning one in (Though I'll admit, it's been a while and my memory is a bit hazy). The story that goes along with the quests is relatively cohesive, in that you have a decent reason for going to collect X bear asses and so forth, and even to go to the next area. That's something they've really worked on as new expansions have been added.

Basically, it's not that WoW is being given a pass, it's that it's simply doing what other MMOs are doing in a better way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Repetitive takes and grind are the core of any MMO. Wow has just had so much more time to make it more enjoyable.

Bit OT: To quit Wow and play another MMO

Purchase MMO for 60ish bucks > Quit Wow and leave some friends behind > Start over from scratch > Pray the game is good > Pay 15 dollars per month.

How to continue playing Wow.

Pay 15 dollars.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-10 at 04:40 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkiri View Post
    You say people say games fail because they have a grind, what people? I don't say that? Who says that?
    You have no proof that this is the case in anyway, and I personally (because that's all who I can speak for) don't label games fail because they have a grind.
    just like that, it's the same BS all around.
    it's double standard, ppl love that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    More like:

"Because WoW is a monolith at this point and Blizzard isn't a company that's given to dramatic changes."

The reason other games get bashed for cloning WoW is because they should be focusing on improving the formula, not reproducing it. It's the same reason people bash Origin for being a steaming pile of shit even though Steam's launch wasn't any better - Origin is trying to copy Steam, so they should have taken Steam's lessons to heart, rather than repeating all the mistakes Steam made when it was getting its start.
    yeah but then, ppl complain about "quality of life" features that arent in the service/game and blah blah blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    Tera more so than GW:2.
    My mind.

Officially blown.

The main difference I noticed is Blizzard has done the best at making the grinds feel less grindy, even when WoW first came out the quest system was pretty much non-existent in MMO's grinding was just killing mobs, so Blizzard made a game that was nowhere near of grindy as games like Everquest or such, and ever since then they have improved to make the game feel less grindy with each expansion.

Every MMO that has come out so far imo has felt more grindy than WoW, and usually have a quest model which WoW was using a couple years ago making them feel older and less new, making it a fail. WoW has also done a better job with the classes being more interesting to play and everything very quick responses making the gameplay speed feel lightning quick so although you maybe having to do many quests you are doing them fast and quick to the point that the grind isn't as noticeable.

Whereas take a game like Swtor, I played it and although it was trying to make questing interesting I thought it really actually failed at that. Why? It made quests longer to complete, mini-areas and zones in general longer to complete, normal mobs you quested to kill took longer to take out, and you had to kill more. This made the quests drag on and be boring not to mention to even accept the quest you had to got through about a minute (minimum) of dialogue which was only interesting if it was part of your class story line. This made the game feel draggy, boring and grindy, not to mention the combat was slower, more clunky, and less responsive. When compared to WoW everything is lightning quick, and you can get through the quests quick and easy to the point they don't drag out, and levels go by fairly fast making you feel as if you are continually progressing. Also mobs go down quicker, and you don't have to kill as much.

Is this the same grind? Yes, but one takes you from zone to zone, area to area, quest to quest, and mob to mob much faster than the other. One drags things out, the other is lightning quick. Most gamers will go for the quick gameplay (for real time games at least), that is why games like WoW and Diablo 3 are so successful. Gamers in the real time/action genre will prefer a grind that has a quick feel and pace to it than a grind that has a slow and dulling pace to it. It also has to do with the diversity of the zones and the environments, having much brighter and lively environments will draw people into the game, that is why when you move from zone to zone in WoW you are in a zone that looks completely different each time.

These aren't even things you will notice if not thinking about them, it's just things you will process naturally, and will typically enjoy the fast paced style grind to the slow paced style grind. The faster the pace the grind is the better it is. This is not speaking for raids and dungeons, but even then look at what Blizzard is implementing, challenge mode dungeons, speed runs. People always pay attention even in raids to how fast they take down that boss, even if they spend a while preparing. People these days prefer the fast paced style anything so WoW being a fast paced grind that also offers lots of diversity has been the best option to choose from which is why 10 million people play it.

Compared to a lot of games, WoW isn't very grindy, to the point that there's a lot of people who complain about the opposite on these forums. All that rage about there being too much "entitlement" in this game. "Epic handouts." Nerfing raids so "everyone can experience it." What those people are really indirectly saying is that they are mad that they had to grind to get as "good" as they are at the game, while others can step in and look at least almost as good without nearly as much grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steth View Post
    I only am against the other games, not because they're "same" in questing, but pretty much a copy and paste of WoW's system.

The only thing that rift had different from WoW is the talent system, and the 'rifts', yet the classes are pretty equivalent to WoW.

In SWTOR, its the same exact thing as WoW, just with a better questing system.

I am not one of those people who go for the same game just because it is newer. I go for what works.

I am actually excited for GW2 myself, finally an MMO not trying to kill or copy wow.
    Using your own logic against you for a minute, why are you in support of WoW's system when it was pretty much a copy and paste of EverQuest's system?

As for Rift, what sets it apart from World of Warcraft is the amount of content released at the speed that it's released.

SW:TOR is World of Warcraf in Space with lightsabers, lasers and the force instead of swords, bows and magic, with a single-player style questing system that makes the whole game feel empty and soulless.

Guild Wars 2 interests me for its casually approachable, non-committal paradigm. For the World of Warcraft style, I've grown to prefer Rift over World of Warcraft. There's just a lot to do at any given time, and you never have to commit to anything unless you really want to play in that traditional raiding environment. Sure I could do LFR and LFG all I want, but it's not quite the same, IMO. I'm just not that interested in MMO's to commit to raiding anymore. It all kinda feels pointless these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

The only reason I generally don't like new MMO's is because they aren't different enough from WoW, so I think to myself "why bother starting from scratch in a new MMO that is essentially the same as WoW". I've spent far too much time on my WoW characters to abonden it for something similiar.

So what would it take for me to abonden WoW you wonder? Well, here's a few important points;

1) it must be action-based combat, or at least not hotkey-based like most MMO's are.
    2) alternate ways of leveling, being a blacksmith for example should be a viable class/profession (which brings me to my next point)
    3) not focused on fighting, but rather more "realistic" with crafters/gatherers/diplomacy, all being viable
    4) players run houses/cities, a real dynamic world (similiar to EVE)

EDIT: Oh and if you're going to pull the "WoW copied EQ" card I'll have this to say; WoW was my first real MMO so naturally I use WoW as my basis.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You entirely miss the context. You are correct OP in that it is hypocritical, but it is out of context. WoW is left alone because of its age, it was released in 2004.
    Thus the reason these new titles are called fail, is because they Hype revolutionary content and then go and give you essentially the same thing from 2004 MMO's with shinier graphics.

Essentially these companies are claiming to improve the formula while in most cases only repeating it.

P.S Do you ever visit the official WoW forums? It is one of the most bashed games i have ever seen in the history of gaming. It gets probably the most heated criticism i have ever seen. WoW gets its fair share of "WoW is fail" posts.
    Last edited by Fawxey; 2012-06-10 at 08:10 AM.

Deleted
    For alot of people wow was the first mmo they have ever played. Hell half the people in my guild thought wow was the first mmo. They really have no clue how much of the stuff in wow has been around for years in mmos. They have been playing wow for so long they have become institutionalised. Thats why you get some many clowns chucking around LOLZ WOW CLONE!!!. They have no other reference point.

These people will never be happy with any other mmo. The first thing they do when they go to play another mmo is compare every tiny aspect of it to wow. They go to insane levels with the comparisons. I saw one guy who claimed the Republic Fleet in TOR was a copy of Iron Forge because it was kinda round and had pits in the middle. Now people are saying the big colossus in the Rift expansion is a Fel Reaver clone. I guess they are both tall?

So its just that for alot of obnoxious wow fans its not enough that wow is 'TEH BEST!!' mmo around but every other one has to be shit and die in a month or they just aint happy. If you have to collect 10 bear arse holes in wow its fine but 10 Rift bear arse holes or 10 whomp rat arse holes then its BORING CLONE!