(Ret) Rotation Questions

So I've been playing ret for a few weeks now as my main as I've switched from my ele shaman. I have a few questions that I'm still a bit iffy on.

1) If both HoW and Exo are procced, which do you use? On the MMO-champ stickied guide for Ret it says Exo but on EJ it says HoW, I'm confused :/

2) If you are at 0 HP and a TV procs, you CS and Judg before the TV right?

3) If Crusader strike has maybe 1.5 sec on it's CD but Exo/HoW is procced do you wait and do nothing to hit that CS as soon as it comes off CD or Exo/HoW then CS to not have downtime?

4) During Zealotry, do you use Exo/HoW at all or are you supposed to be waiting on CS to come off cooldown?

1. You want to use HoW as it's not a proc but a CD, you can use it more often if you keep it off CD more often. And Exo is a proc, wich is only "wasted" if it procs again
    2. You CS, so you will have a faster 3holy power then you would otherwise using Judgement first *CS > Judge > *use whatever you have* > CS*
    3. Use all your GCD's on attack and don't waste one, even if CS almost comes of CD. Keep HoW on CD whenever you can so you can maximize it's damage.
    4. Yes, to maximize the damage output while in Zealotry, you want to use CS > *filler* > TV instead of CS > TV > *filler*. You can throw more hammers. You want to keep as much of your abilites on CD and don't waste Holy Power. But the hammer may result in a Divine Purpose proc that you must do 2x TV before you can CS. But it's a DPS gain overal. Except if you have Heroism or a heavy Haste buff (Dragon Soul till yellow platform) up so your CS have close to a 3s CD so your doing CS > TV > repeat
    Last edited by Justaway; 2012-06-10 at 08:41 AM.

Deleted
    On the last 2 questions, you shouldnt wait for a CD. It's better to not use CS and use a GCD, than not use it and waste an entire GCD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justaway View Post
    1. You want to use HoW as it's not a proc but a CD, you can use it more often if you keep it off CD more often. And Exo is a proc, wich is only "wasted" if it procs again
    2. You CS, so you will have a faster 3holy power then you would otherwise using Judgement first *CS > Judge > *use whatever you have* > CS*

3. Use all your GCD's on attack and don't waste one, even if CS almost comes of CD. Keep HoW on CD whenever you can so you can maximize it's damage.
    4. Yes, to maximize the damage output while in Zealotry, you want to use CS > *filler* > TV instead of CS > TV > *filler*. You can throw more hammers. You want to keep as much of your abilites on CD and don't waste Holy Power. But the hammer may result in a Divine Purpose proc that you must do 2x TV before you can CS. But it's a DPS gain overal. Except if you have Heroism or a heavy Haste buff (Dragon Soul till yellow platform) up so your CS have close to a 3s CD so your doing CS > TV > repeat
    No and a possible no.

You want to use Exorcism above Hammer of Wrath always, Exo does more damage per execute and can come up any second, the faster you get rid of exorcism proc the more exorcism you can fire off. Exorcism is the filler you want to fire off above everything.

If you don't have 3 hp and you get a DP proc and cs is off cd you want to use cs first. Whether you prioritise judgement over divine purpose proc depends on if you want more rng damage or more persistent damage.
    If you go for the rng part you should: Crusader Strike, Templar's Verdict and then Judgement since Judgement can proc Divine purpose, so if you're lucky you will get another DP proc.
    Using Divine Purpose Templar's Verdict before Judgement will sometimes be better than using Judgement before the Divine Purpose Templar's Verdict, other times it won't depends on the amount of DP procs.

Quote from "4.3 Retribution FAQ" - Anaxie's Rotation

Get Inquisition up with 3 HP, reapply with 3 HP if it's about to drop
    Under 3HP Priority: CS > DP TV > J > Exo > HoW > HW > Cons
    3HP Priority: DP TV > Exo > HP TV
    This is pretty much what you need to know about your rotation.
    Last edited by mmoc8b393fc574; 2012-06-10 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Luthi- View Post
    So I've been playing ret for a few weeks now as my main as I've switched from my ele shaman. I have a few questions that I'm still a bit iffy on.

1) If both HoW and Exo are procced, which do you use? On the MMO-champ stickied guide for Ret it says Exo but on EJ it says HoW, I'm confused :/

2) If you are at 0 HP and a TV procs, you CS and Judg before the TV right?

3) If Crusader strike has maybe 1.5 sec on it's CD but Exo/HoW is procced do you wait and do nothing to hit that CS as soon as it comes off CD or Exo/HoW then CS to not have downtime?

4) During Zealotry, do you use Exo/HoW at all or are you supposed to be waiting on CS to come off cooldown?
    1: (The MMO-C guide might be slightly dated in an answer to your question here, first of all) There is a huge discussion that took place a couple of weeks ago on the EJ ret thread about HoW vs. Exo. Personally, I prioritize Exorcism because it is able to just plain hit harder for me. (A screenshot from my latest Ultraxion log) Even when Exorcism doesn't crit, it's averaging for a higher amount of damage, plus the dot gets tacked on to it. Test it out for yourself, see which actually does more damage.

2: At the very least, you should Crusader strike, because you run no risk of getting a Divine Purpose proc by using it. If you want to test the RNG gods, you can use Judgement and pray for it to not generate a fresh Divine Purpose proc. (If it does, then you "wasted" your original one) If it gives no fresh DP proc, well, all you have to do now that you Judged is DPTV, CS, TV (or Inq).

3: Ideally it would be best to use Exorcism (or HoW), because waiting roughly that long for CS to come off would be a waste by ignoring that GCD in anticipation of 1 holy power from CS.

4: The perfect rotation under Zealotry (and only really possible with Lust/Hero) is CS, TV, repeat until CD's end. Since that won't really happen, you have to expect how long the GCD's are going to last and plan when you're going to have to use a filler, because it will be inevitable. If you waste no CS's because of your filler (Exo/HoW), you've done it correctly.

Pretty much everything Valkiri said, I would never use a hammer of wrath of an AoW exorcism proc.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. If u got no procs of Divine Purpose (DP) on bursts i'll use firstly HoW because it has got static cooldown. Exo will be the second filler. So how it looks:
    TV-CS-HoW-CS-TV-Exo-CS-TV-HoW....

At usuall roration Exo (with Glyph) > HoW.

2. Only CS. Judgemnt can cause DP proc. So you've got a chance to refresh your old DP. So it's a pity to loose one DP.

3. Will use Exo/HoW, because Exo gives you 1sec GCD, How - 1,5 GCD.

4. Yes, because it can cause proc of DP and plus, standing under wings and zealotory (20% and 18% damage up) and using nothing - it's loosing dps.
    Last edited by Nurse; 2012-06-13 at 02:52 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea Valks post is pretty spot on, especially with the rotation priority
    Last edited by fears; 2012-06-14 at 05:04 PM.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

10+ Year Old Account
    somebody said that it procs?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you get an addon like ClcInfo or ClcRet and edit the clashes it gives you a good idea of incoming abilities.
    Last edited by fears; 2012-06-14 at 04:59 PM.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

Deleted
    Read again. He was right.

Only CS. Judgemnt can cause DP proc.

Bolded the dot for you.