Thread: Buying gold

Buying gold

Has anyone else noticed you can actually buy gold now? Before, you could buy gems and trade them with people for gold, now you can buy gems and simply exchange the currency in the gem store interface.

What do you guys think of this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Has anyone else noticed you can actually buy gold now? Before, you could buy gems and trade them with people for gold, now you can buy gems and simply exchange the currency in the gem store interface.

It's still based off of how many people are buying/selling. If everyone is selling and no one is buying, it will not be worth it to sell and will be extremely cheap to buy. It's the same way mats used to work in GW1.

Also, it works the same way it did last BWE.

It's been like this before the first BWE even. It was never a direct trade to people, and always through the interface.

Hmm. won't this result in an overflow of money at a certain point? The money enters the world out of no where. Well, I guess I was misinformed to start with, the way it works now startled me though...

Hmm. won't this result in an overflow of money at a certain point? The money enters the world out of no where. Well, I guess I was misinformed to start with, the way it works now startled me though...
    As I said,
    If everyone is selling and no one is buying, it will not be worth it to sell and will be extremely cheap to buy.
    The money comes from nowhere, sure, but if you get as much for selling a 50$ worth of gems as you get for doing 1 DE no one will be selling gems and everyone will be buying them because they are cheap.

Gold buyers won't sell their gems unless it's worth it to them, gold sellers won't buy those gems unless it's worth it to them. It's the same way the material vendors in GW1 worked, and why the price of ectos did not fluctuate significantly from day to day.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-06-10 at 11:11 AM.

All i care about is, 1) Does it ADD gold and inflate prices? And 2) is it buying power?

Both questions are answered with "No". So, i dont care, go ahead and buy your gems for money and sell it for ingame gold if you like. That gold wont buy you an advantage, but it will buy you convenience items and cosmetic stuff.

No it does not add gold out of nowhere and that is what is important. It does add gems out of nowhere, and the gems are taken out when people spend them on vanity stuff. The gold people pay for gems still comes from quests and mob drops. All the gold in the game does.

You have to remember though in games that gold sellers have impacted the economy gold usually comes from the same place its just that these gold selling companies manage through hook or crook to aquire a large amount of the gold. Removing that much from the economy artificially deflates prices because there is less gold around. One of the biggest market crashes was in FFXI. The gold sellers basically farmed for years on end, using their products to horde gold and prices slowly went down, then one christmas for some reason they all had a huge sale and prices skyrocketed. Prices of most expensive things doubled or tripled in a week. And that was all gold that came from mob drops, the gold from quests was barely anything in that game.

As to GWII, will it buy you an advantage? Actually it will. You buy gems with cash, you trade gems for gold. You really did literally just buy gold, it's just that the gold you bought came from the economy, it wasn't created leading to external inflation, so it's balanced, but someone really is paying cash for a bigger share of the economy. That may just be the price we pay for a free to play game. Lazy people can come out ahead by slapping down their credit card with their grubby fingers the American way. Have have have never achieve. The consumers are here to consume.

What will make or break it for me is how much of an advantage that is. I never really did "endgame" stuff in GW1, but as far as I know gear did matter, but it was not very important compared to skill. People who were skilled came out way ahead. If that is true with GWII, or if there are ways of getting more powerful outside the auction house than through it, then things will be ok.

Oh also EVE has been working this way a long time, but with a subscription also. Plex was bought with real currency and used as game time, but it could also be sold on the market. So people could basically buy money. Now they have also introduced Arum which will work exactly like crystals here- you buy them with real money, redeem them for vanity items but they can also be sold for in game money.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2012-06-10 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Lazy people can come out ahead by slapping down their credit card with their grubby fingers the American way. Have have have never achieve. The consumers are here to consume.
    ...And then you lost all credit, dick head.

Could buy gold or gems interchangeably in the last betas as well. Eastern MMO style.

Quite good.

Yep, pretty clear now. No gripes with it in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post

As to GWII, will it buy you an advantage? Actually it will. You buy gems with cash, you trade gems for gold. You really did literally just buy gold, it's just that the gold you bought came from the economy, it wasn't created leading to external inflation, so it's balanced, but someone really is paying cash for a bigger share of the economy. That may just be the price we pay for a free to play game. Lazy people can come out ahead by slapping down their credit card with their grubby fingers the American way. Have have have never achieve. The consumers are here to consume.

What will make or break it for me is how much of an advantage that is. I never really did "endgame" stuff in GW1, but as far as I know gear did matter, but it was not very important compared to skill. People who were skilled came out way ahead. If that is true with GWII, or if there are ways of getting more powerful outside the auction house than through it, then things will be ok.
    Actually, you don't buy an advantage technically. All max level gear has the same stat point allotment, so when you add up and the + stats on different pieces of gear, you get the same sum. No matter if you do level 80 explorable mode dungeons or buy it off the AH or quest for it. So you aren't buying gold to buy better gear to give you an edge, your're buying gold to get on the same level as everyone else (potentially) quicker.

Everything else that you buy with gold that gives you an edge is temporary, such as guild buffs.