Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I also stand by the many people saying 'they have to get rid of them some way'

Stray dogs are a huge problem in some nations and usually they are quite feral indeed.

The only thing to do in such a case is unfortunately; put them down...

If such a thing is not done the problem will just get worse and worse...
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

Stray dogs are a rather big problem in Eastern Europe. I don't see anything wrong with taking them down. I'd sooner see no stray dogs than see a person get hurt because the authorities were too lazy or simply unwilling to take action.

Deleted
    I fail to see how this is not a good thing.

Deleted
    Had to be done. A dog is an animal - a feral one is a liability.

Deleted
    The stray dogs can be actually usefull, after incineration their ashes can be used as nutrition for crop land. Same goes for ashes from human.

Greece did it before the Olympics. Not that big of a deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thread has already been warned:

Stop with the OT discussion. If you have a problem with an infraction PM that mod or a Super Mod like me, not make a ragey post and continue on with the thing you were infracted for. Deleted the posts, stay on topic.

80k stray dogs. Lets all find homes for them!

Be more realistic. Into the barbeque they go.

10+ Year Old Account
    They had to get rid of them one way or the other...

my first thought of stray dogs is "it has rabies"... i might be misinformed but i feel that most are just dangers to society and im all for animal rights in most cases but when it comes to diseased animals walking the streets i have no sympathy...
    Also its fucking Ukraine (my mothercountry by the way) but lets all be honest here that place has been pretty screwed up for a while now clearing dogs for a stadium isnt really that upsetting

While I don't dispute that something needs to be done concerning feral dogs, I think that they could be a little more humane about it. throwing them live into a trash compactor was a little much for me. If you are going to get rid of them, shoot them. Do it quick instead of some sick torture.

How big of a pest are they becoming? If they start massively outnumbering people and becoming a horrible hazard in the area, I could turn a blind eye to something like this.

It's not like they just woke up one morning and said "I want to kill 80k dogs, especially the puppies!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Im really feeling the urge to post one of those "First world problem" images in response to the OP. Like many have said, those dogs are dangerous, feral and carry diseases. Sure, people can spend alot of money to solve the problem another way, but since dogs are not exactly endangered and are not human i see this as acceptable given the circumstances.

Deleted
    I don't disagree with the need to remove the stray dogs, however, the methods used were totally inhumane and THAT is what needs looked at. I mean, crushing a dog in a trash compactor? Yeah, that's totally wrong. Homeless people are becoming more and more evident, when we do we start getting rid of them? I mean, we can't afford to rehome all the homeless people. Homeless people are also more prone to crime, so that's another reason to get rid of them. Yeah, I don't see you people making the same argument. The fact there's so many homeless dogs is a human made problem.

Sadly, as much as I love dogs, they were becoming a true problem over there, and since housing all of them would be impossible, and going backwards in time to find out "who let the dogs out, who who who who" seems as silly as installing a hot tub in your 98' Fiat Punto, dealing with the problem at hand in the best possible way seems like a good solution.

I do wonder, tho, why didn't they simply donate all the excess meat to starving people in Africa? I bet they would delight the sight of meat rather than the average rice and soya donations... What a waste of resources.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 10:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Synyzta View Post
    I don't disagree with the need to remove the stray dogs, however, the methods used were totally inhumane and THAT is what needs looked at. I mean, crushing a dog in a trash compactor? Yeah, that's totally wrong. Homeless people are becoming more and more evident, when we do we start getting rid of them? I mean, we can't afford to rehome all the homeless people. Homeless people are also more prone to crime, so that's another reason to get rid of them. Yeah, I don't see you people making the same argument. The fact there's so many homeless dogs is a human made problem.
    Soon, hopefully. I rather have stray cats, which can at most give someone rabies (Easily healed in this year and age), than a drunkard, a rapist or a schizophrenic mixture of both sleeping under my porch. I'll stay with rabid cats, dogs, and even stray hyenas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Sadly, as much as I love dogs, they were becoming a true problem over there, and since housing all of them would be impossible, and going backwards in time to find out "who let the dogs out, who who who who" seems as silly as installing a hot tub in your 98' Fiat Punto, dealing with the problem at hand in the best possible way seems like a good solution.

I do wonder, tho, why didn't they simply donate all the excess meat to starving people in Africa? I bet they would delight the sight of meat rather than the average rice and soya donations... What a waste of resources.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 10:51 PM ----------

Soon, hopefully. I rather have stray cats, which can at most give someone rabies (Easily healed in this year and age), than a drunkard, a rapist or a schizophrenic mixture of both sleeping under my porch. I'll stay with rabid cats, dogs, and even stray hyenas.
    Agreed. Like I said though, I don't disagree with the need to get rid of the homeless animals, just the methods used.

They probably got to this number because of animal rights activists protecting them. And most of these activists have never stepped foot in Eastern Europe.
    Ukraine can't afford to have visitors to the tournament being randomly eaten by packs of 10-20 stray dogs who live undisturbed on the streets.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-06-10 at 08:56 PM.

I sure feel bad for these dogs being killed but let's face it, if you had 80k dogs in your cities, you would kill them too. And that's what stray dogs are, they aren't the dogs you have at home. They are aggressive and dangerous. It sure is cruel to kill them all but what else to do? Shelter them? Shelters are usually full already you know it.

What has to be done is to make people understand that having a dog is not like playing Nintendogs, these people are the real killers of stray dogs. Many people just take a dog like 'aww he's cute' when they are puppy and think having a dog is like having a toy. It's a living being and it needs to be kept properly. People just lack common sense.

Its disgusting reading all these posts, Just shows how numb people are to any life unless its "human", you say they are "just animals" do you not realize that we are "just animals" too. It still blows my mind how we can systematically slaughter animals because we believe that its "our domain". Also the whole they "spread disease" maybe we should start putting down everyone we find out has aids or hep or fuck it lets just put down anyone who isn't healthy. We are becoming a world that just kills whatever it deems useless. I'm not saying leave the dogs to run around but to just kill them and throw them into unmarked burial sites. What if a child one day runs across that, you don't think that a pit full of 100+ dogs isn't gonna spread disease through ecosystems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowjobs View Post
    What if a child one day runs across that, you don't think that a pit full of 100+ dogs isn't gonna spread disease through ecosystems.
    Stray dogs tend to attack and kill people, especially children, since they can't defend themselves and they can easily anger the dog. How would you feel about being afraid to go to work in the morning because of a pack of 10 stray dogs living near you ?