Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is WvW in trouble?

Am I wrong (i'm elementalist atm) and every time i do WvW all i'm doing is casting AoEs.

... and it's the same for every other class from what i can see :s

is this what WvW is? just spamming AoE? it reminds me of the old school AV where you would just spam AoE on narrow corridors and your team either recieved aoe heals from dedicated healers or fell over, the issue in GW2 though is that there wont be a "dedicated healer" (of course you will have healing, water elementalists for example - but that's not dedicated really).

i think just WvW is in trouble of being a skillless spam fest

but like i said, i'm an elementalist and it is beta where servers are scarsely populated (i'm on whiteside ridge)

am i wrong?
    Last edited by mmoca7d90cf5ae; 2012-06-11 at 02:27 PM.

You could also say wow is a skilless focus fire spam fest. Focus fire the healer until he dies or focus CC something or whatever.

I personally prefer spamming AOE and that's the reason I even played a Mage in WoW originally. I was expecting the Warcraft 3 type battles where everyone died gloriously in a waves of awesome magics and explosions.

I don't see how focus firing is more fun than everyone casting AOEs all over the place and making awesome battles.

Deleted
    Well in my opinion it's not skillful to just, as a fire attuned elementalist with loads of points into Fire, press 2 buttons to deal devastating damage.

infact my aoe damage spells are actually doing -more- damage than my single target damage spells

it just feels to me that it will eliminate skill - in WoWs RBGs you rarely see a team AoE unless it's to stop a flag capture (which is skill) and outside of that it's CC on healers while nuking 1 target down, or making tactical switches with the use of smoke bomb + redirected kidneys, or other spells

So lets say you are a getting fired on with that AOE. Does it not stand to reason to get out of there and try something else? People get tunnel vision way too much.

You won't always be up against bads that are directly on top of their team mates. Of course pvp is going to be skilless until people get good and l2p. No, it's not what you think. But AoE is very prominent in GW2 which I love. An opportunity always presents itself, I think that's what ANet was going for.

WvWvW was never going to be a fight of the skilled, anyone who thought about it for more than a second would know that. "Skill" can't show itself in masses, if you want that you go to competitive pvp tournaments.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you're doing is just spamming your AoE abilities, then your enemies are rather foolish if this "strategy" is working.

The only issue I see with WvW is with worlds being placed against ones that are more populated.

Throughout the whole beta, Sifhalla and whatever world the third one is, have never been able to hold any territory. The whole map is just one color. Today, we're up against Basalt Grotto (another low-pop realm) and Deldrimor (high-pop). The only thing not owned by Del at the moment is... a supply camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    So lets say you are a getting fired on with that AOE. Does it not stand to reason to get out of there and try something else? People get tunnel vision way too much.
    Ding ding ding!! We have a winner folks!!

And about the fire elementalist thing, that's the POINT of fire attunement do you want to incinerate everything? Yes? Go into fire attunement!! Do you want large condition inflicting aoes and heavy defense? Go earth attunement, do you want control an support? Go water, do you want burst out the ass and control? Go air attunement!

All I gotta say is thank god no elementalist ha managed to figure out any attunement other then fire or going water to be a "lol healer!" or we may be in trouble...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    the point is that when AoE spells do more damage to 1 target than ... any single target spell would do then you just lose all sense of balance. not to mention most of the time you're unable to react in time to the AoE because it's hits too hard and has 100% uptime

to me it'll just be like the old school AV which was, while fun, just totally devoid of skill - and this is my issue.... there is no "proper" end game other than PvP and if PvP isn't skilled, then why would you want to play it over WoW which does have (albeit loose lol) a competitive pvp foundation it's building on in MoP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roessen View Post
    If all you're doing is just spamming your AoE abilities, then your enemies are rather foolish if this "strategy" is working.

The only issue I see with WvW is with worlds being placed against ones that are more populated.

Throughout the whole beta, Sifhalla and whatever world the third one is, have never been able to hold any territory. The whole map is just one color. Today, we're up against Basalt Grotto (another low-pop realm) and Deldrimor (high-pop). The only thing not owned by Del at the moment is... a supply camp.
    Sadly this is gonna be a problem the first bit of the game when it's live, until, you know, they finally get the data needed and all servers start fighting against equally comparable servers and then it'll change a bit here and there but not -too- much.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    the point is that when AoE spells do more damage to 1 target than ... any single target spell would do then you just lose all sense of balance.

to me it'll just be like the old school AV which was, while fun, just totally devoid of skill - and this is my issue.... there is no "proper" end game other than PvP and if PvP isn't skilled, then why would you want to play it over WoW which does have (albeit loose lol) a competitive pvp foundation it's building on in MoP
    You clearly don't use air attunement properly, because I've seen air elementalist take 20k out of my health bar in 5 seconds, you are NOT dealing that damage over an area!! And I hope you realize elementalists are like the only prof in the game that ha access to a lot of easily available aoes, everyone else has AoEs on like 20second (or more) CDs
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Ok seriously for all the "skill" elitism bullshit...do you people realize some, as in many of us, loved the old school AV AOE battles and hated arenas?

ArenaNet (yeah...) will give all you e-champions your "skill" PVP through rated matches of small team sizes, as they've stated on their website.

WvW was always stated to be just a big warzone type of thing. Stop trying to make everything conform to your e-sport world, not everyone gives a shit about competitive PVP.

I swear to god if you assholes start flooding the official forums asking ArenaNet to "balance" WvW and turn it into some RBG focus fire bullshit and ruin this game mode, I hope you all DIAF. You've done enough damage to WoW's PVP, if you love those game modes so much go back to it and reap the fruit of your labor.

Infracted; Stating your opinion is fine, but don't be an ass about it.
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-06-13 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    Ok seriously for all the "skill" elitism bullshit...do you people realize some, as in many of us, loved the old school AV AOE battles and hated arenas?

ArenaNet (yeah...) will give all you e-champions your "skill" PVP through rated matches of small team sizes, as they've stated on their website.

WvW was always stated to be just a big warzone type of thing. Stop trying to make everything conform to your e-sport world, not everyone gives a shit about competitive PVP.
    I secon this, sure I love being super competitive, but sometimes all I wanna do is blow things up!! That's what WvW and catapults are there for =D!

Deleted
    most air ele's spec into arcane power for guaranteed crits, thats where their burst comes from - especially with the air talents which increase your crit dmg + chance by a large value. still though, a fire ele will do more sustained dps over an area and hitting loads of people to boot.

besides, fire is pretty glass cannon-y, as you stated yourself air also has control (movement + stuns) thus air will probably be better in the small team games (though i'd probably spec water for that for heals + snares w/ glyph buffs).

its just depressing the "highlight" of the game (for me) is just going to be an aoe spam fest with 0 skill involved and literally no reaction time to do anything worthwhile which will save you, thus it will be simply stand and nuke and pray

Glad to see you're very open minded, cranberrie. You are the issue in case you didn't notice..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    its beta

/10 chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roessen View Post

Completely agree with this.

I play on Desolation which is basically the number one server on the EU. That's fine and all, but this beta weekend we've been dominating the WvW area and no other server is even attempting to overthrow us anymore. We're everwhere, and there is no enemy to fight. All simply because we have the highest population.

Winning is nice, but not like this.

I can see population disparity being an issue, especially in the first month of the game's release. Not sure what you can do about that until everything settles down and equalizes.

Am I wrong (i'm level 26 elementalist atm) and every time i do WvW all i'm doing is casting AoEs.

... and it's the same for every other class from what i can see :s

is this what WvW is? just spamming AoE? it reminds me of the old school AV where you would just spam AoE on narrow corridors and your team either recieved aoe heals from dedicated healers or fell over, the issue in GW2 though is that there wont be a "dedicated healer" (of course you will have healing, water elementalists for example - but that's not dedicated really).

i think just WvW is in trouble of being a skillless spam fest

but like i said, i'm level 26 and it is beta where servers are scarsely populated (i'm on whiteside ridge)

am i wrong?
    as a mesmer I only used AOE when I was trying to push the enemy back (them dodging away from AOE area), other times I was focusing on single targets/low health players, for me it was actually really depending on situation if I saw bigger push I put down Chaos Storm to force them to avoid area and then I targeted down what I could, at times I even ran in smacked them and came back. So no as such it is not aoe fest, maybe it is for elems, but atm not for me. Last time I played in WvW I played thief, also aoe was not as strong and single targeting an enemy.

You really need to pay attention what you are doing on battle field, if you are mindlessly casting AOE - well good on ya, but you might not be most effective person. Always gotta look for weak sides, low health players, your allies... etc etc
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

10+ Year Old Account
    most air ele's spec into arcane power for guaranteed crits, thats where their burst comes from - especially with the air talents which increase your crit dmg + chance by a large value. still though, a fire ele will do more sustained dps over an area and hitting loads of people to boot.

besides, fire is pretty glass cannon-y, as you stated yourself air also has control (movement + stuns) thus air will probably be better in the small team games (though i'd probably spec water for that for heals + snares w/ glyph buffs).

its just depressing the "highlight" of the game (for me) is just going to be an aoe spam fest with 0 skill involved and literally no reaction time to do anything worthwhile which will save you, thus it will be simply stand and nuke and pray
    Yup no skill at all, exactly why the siege on the main keep on my realm succeeded because you know, not like me and a hand full of others cut off all supply routs going into the keep, or hitting from multiple fronts... Or using arrow karts to slaughter their wall defenders, cause there's no skill or strategy AT ALL in WvW *rolls eyes*

Btw the air elementalist I was talking about with DAT BURST has 15 points in air, 25 in earth 15 in water and 15 in fire

WvW is looking just fine. AoE spammage is mostly just a result of zerging, and zergs are quite easy to take down. Clever tactics is what gets you victory. And that seems to be true from all the footage ive watched, and ive watched hours!

Sadly, i didnt play. WvW for my realm was so out of balance, the other two realms are just never trying, so after a score reset its usually 2h of minimal resistance and thats it. 100k score for us, 1k for the other two realms. No, thats not fun. So i hope they pair realms better.