Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    No they didn't. I remember when starcraft 1 came out and most of the story was told you to by dudes in little video boxes. It was sooooooooo much better even with the limitations of the old technology. They cared at one point.
    I played some of StarCraft 1's campaign back in 2010 when I got the StarCraft 2 CE. I honestly thought the story was meh. Blizzard have been hit and miss with their games story wise and only a couple of times did they actually manage to make a well made story that worked within the medium they used at that time. WarCraft 3 remains to me the best game they ever created story wise and that game is a decade old by now.

Can't wait for part 3.

My take on it.

One of the major downfalls of the story on this department for me was the introduction of entirely pointless character, Diablo/Leah.

This two dimensional chick appeared from nowhere and had close to no character or build up to be anything (beyond I must save world/weep over Cain) and thus what happened to her was very unimpactful for me. The only "emotion" I had at that moment that "Awww, the pretty girl gone bad, sort of looks hot now though wait what you just did?!"

Introducing her with so little fleshing out in the game was maybe the dumbest decision they did in regards of storytelling (beyond all the other herp) and the whole thing would've worked out much better if they combined the character of Leah and Deckard and called it Deckard Cain.

It would've been very dramatic end for a great and iconic character that had been built over several games and everyone accociated Diablo with (Not to mention the irony of it). It also would've had tons more of emotional impact than what this cardboard character ever could achieve.

But yeah, lets just kill of Deckard in some shoddy in game animation with herpy dialogue and be done with it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I don't have much of a problem with Leah, or what happened (contrary to what some here seem to think, she was sacrificed by her mother to enable Diablo to come back into existence in this plane... not that bad of a plot twist really). Most of my problems come from the enemies and a few of the other characters.

Dear chick stuck in the spider cavern... really, you hid some staff in a wagon out in a field? What is your reasoning for this exactly?

Dear Magda.... why would you actually drop hints as to where the other 2 sword pieces are?

Dear Azmodan... you're host to the best act in the game, but your main squeeze spider chick is a complete pushover.

And Diablo... the whole "oh this will stop you... oh, it didn't? that's ok, because this will stop you... oh, that didn't either?" way that your speech is framed makes you seem pretty ineffective as the embodiment of evil. Evil and 'terr-roar'.

All is not without hope though, as some interesting backstory is presented (the barbarians especially), so they have some room to play around in any upcoming expansion.

Deleted
    So many things don't make sense in the story of Diablo 3.

Why did Belial want the sword so badly in Act 1?
    Maghda made it sound almost crucial to his master plan, but when we get in Act 2 we don't hear anything of it.
    Sounds like just a randomly thrown in arc to keep the Stranger/Tyrael mysterious a little while longer.

Why did we kill Zoltun Kulle? In the end, he was right about everything. Humanity was the deciding factor in the war against Hell.
    I really just can't understand why suddenly the main character wants to kill Kulle. He never betrayed us.
    It's more like Blizzard needed an extra boss, so "how about we suddenly make him evil afterall?! AWESOME!"

Another thing that didn't make sense was the Black Soulstone itself.
    Apparently Diablo could absorb the souls from the Soulstone and fuse into a great being, yet why couldn't he do that with the Yellow Soulstone of Baal in Diablo 2?

Also, wasn't Belial meant to be the Lord of Lies and master of disguises and secret plots?
    His disguise was a VERY poor one, you'd know he was Belial the very first time you meet the Emperor. Not a very good secret plan if you ask me.

And Azmodan is supposed to be the greatest tactician. Yet all he does is discard his losses as unimportant, you'll never succeed anyway.
    Sounds like a goddamn idiot if you ask me. Great tacticians change their strategy when they notice they're losing. They have backup plans.
    It's more like he's the greatest failure of a tactician if you ask me.

And Diablo is nothing more than a cartoon villain taunting you. Even in his ultimate form, he's a wuss.
    I never got a sense of danger from this ultimate evil, because many side characters had already said that nothing can beat a Nephalem.

Well, I guess Diablo 3 EXP will be good Nephalem vs Evil Nephalem with that logic.
    Which is just humans vs humans. Kind of like so many games already out there.

Next game will be like any generic medieval RPG, because the forces of Hell and Heaven are obsolete compared to humans now.

In my honest opinion, Diablo 3 has crapped on many things that made the previous games great.

What I don't get is we get tweets like this from Metzen soon after release:

No spoilers (oops) - but are y'all generally digging the Diablo 3 story?

You can go look if you want, its right there on his twitter account.

I just don't really get it. The story wasn't just bad, there was no shock value to it, even with just the knowledge of there being the comet and Cain talking about justice falling - we KNOW that the falling star is Tyrael.

The rest? Well hell, sadly you get all the "surprises" of the story sometimes even an act before they happen. Hell, I knew Adria was corrupting Leia in act 2, when she's starting to teach her new spells and her power was building.

As has been mentioned throughout the rest of the thread, the story is in many ways a replica of Diablo 2's own simply with different bosses transposed in their place.

About the only surprise for me now would be if the expansion was released and it was revealed that it contained not one act but two or three. That might make me want to come back to the game, I don't think 1 act would ever be enough to redeem the story contained thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Even as a plot device she's probably the most important because she's the reason we get to where Leah dies. In terms of development most of her character is in the conversations which I agree is unfortunate, but it's better for game play that way imo. The way I take Adria after seeing the whole story through is someone that we are "supposed" to just because she's Leah's mother. On the first play through Adria's pushing of Leah can be seen as a way to make Leah stronger, but after seeing what she does to Leah and how she betrays us I see her more as trying to prepare Leah's body for Diablo's presence. Leah becomes Adria's tool to fulfill the means to her end in almost a cruel way. Leah is pushed and used to get to Belial. She's almost tortured trying to maintain the Black Soulstone.

On the surface this is "what needs to be done", but underneath it all, the way things turn out, it just feels like Adria is nothing more than a cruel heartless bitch that almost enjoyed watching Leah's pain and struggle.

Ok I get it, and I do agree.

Though I disagree that the story feels thrown together and an after thought, Blizzard has always gone on the mantra of game play > story. This is actually a huge part of their success. Look at WoW for example. There are several things that are far more fleshed out game wise, but the story is almost solely take care of in 3rd party books. Blizzard tries to make it so that knowing the story isn't essential to play the game, but it's available to you if you enjoy story telling.
    WC3 would like to disagree with you.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Belial is about as cunning as a shoe, and Azmodan has all the strategic expertise of a couch. " I loved it

This was a well thought out read and very insightful, I found myself nodding at nearly everything you said about the villains in particular, they were utter garbage. I expected a lot more from them to be honest. Perhaps you should help their writers write the expansion I know you'd probably do a much better job.

Thats a long text to say its an awful story

There was probably more thoughts put in your text than in the story itself. Chris Metzen just sucks thats not his first blunder.

In a more elaborated way, the problem you rise with arcs imo could have been better with a longer act4 or even an act5. That aside, terrible antagonists, bad dialogues and some obvious plot holes would still cripple this awful scenario. Blizzard is lucky to not be in Bioware shoes, fans of ME3 were in uproar for just a bad ending while the whole 3 games were very good; Blizzard would probably have been bombed.

And you know what the worst thing is ? Blizzard doesnt even recognize their story is bad: "we got some good internal feedbacks". Orly ? from 7 yo kids ?
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-07-17 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    It's the typical Blizzard storytelling, unfortunately. Interesting characters have a habit of being killed off on a whim, seemingly for the sake of the shock factor death and/or corruption brings. We've seen it in the Warcraft franchise with the likes of Kael'thas, Illidan and Vashj. We've seen it in the Starcraft franchise with the likes of Tychus, and we've seen it in the Diablo franchise with the likes of Leah. All of them share a common trait - they're interesting and well fleshed out characters who are well received by fans of a good story. Yet they're also killed off and forgotten about whilst the plot jumps to a new arc, or the intriguing aspects are just overlooked in favour of glorifying a few 'pet' characters.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Dear chick stuck in the spider cavern... really, you hid some staff in a wagon out in a field? What is your reasoning for this exactly?

Dear Magda.... why would you actually drop hints as to where the other 2 sword pieces are?

Dear Azmodan... you're host to the best act in the game, but your main squeeze spider chick is a complete pushover.

And Diablo... the whole "oh this will stop you... oh, it didn't? that's ok, because this will stop you... oh, that didn't either?" way that your speech is framed makes you seem pretty ineffective as the embodiment of evil. Evil and 'terr-roar'.
    I thought that pretty much as I played through. But some games do have a villain that talks too much and gives too much info of how they will succeed, Magda was very dull and an extremely dull boss fight to say that.

Deleted
    Villain dialogue has never been a strong point of Blizzard's lore team. The same stock phrases tend to be repeated across the three main franchises, or we're led along by the informed ability that a particular foe is dangerous whilst never actually seeing most of them succeed at anything substantial. I did enjoy the bits of flavour lore that popped up when I defeated a new enemy or read a book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Wow still kind of manages to tell pretty decent stories (with exceptions) and continue along the main storyline of gradually killing off baddest villains in the universe untill only ponies and rainbows (and Rhonin obviously) remain.

In my personal opinion decent plot could've easily been one of the things that Diablo 3 received as an evolved and modern game, especially considering long development period of 12 years.

WoW obviously had some good stories, My brother handed in The Green Hills of Stranglethorn to his English teacher and got an A I think. But they often do not add to gameplay. Finding the books and getting snippets but missing other bits of the story is frustrating. (And seriously Cain stop dropping your bloody satchel)