Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman PVP help

I see alot of people talking about their shamans don't run out of mana...I've recently started PVPing with my shammy and I often run out of mana, although some of it is me and overhealing as I am not used to healing at all. I'm looking for pointers or insight into this...
    here is my armory link as well...
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...adandan/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know anything about healing so take what I write with a grain of salt but I just did a quick check on world of war graphs, and it seems that most resto shamans reforge their secondary stats to spirit. So that might help. Other than that you'll probably just gonna have to keep practicing until you get comfortable enough so that you're not overhealing as much. Your overhealing is probably the biggest reason why you're running out of mana. Not alot of insight in my answer but thats my take on it
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do think you are partially right being that my over healing is partly a cause, however I don't think that is all of it. I appreciate the feedback tho.

it looks like your combat mana regen is about 800 mp5 to low, you alsow need to learn how to heal. the other poster is right, over healing is mana you threw away, knowing what heals to use and when, keeping mana shield up as close to 100% of the time as possible.

maybe if you would let us know what spells you use it would help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathcowDan View Post
    I do think you are partially right being that my over healing is partly a cause, however I don't think that is all of it. I appreciate the feedback tho.
    Need some more information, is this happening in bg's or in arena?

in bg's, depends on your team, if they kill/control the opponent better and faster. You won't go oom. If you're fighting against a lot of fire mages and boomkins, will be hard to not go oom.

I see you do 2's with a lock (not so lucky streak i see unfortunately). Just practise with timing when best to use portal etc. Keep riptides running on both of you and keep ES up. The lock should be also using the right armor (the one with +% healing) and soul link, rshaman mastery + that armor is the most OP synergy two classes can have, but it doesn't mean the lock can tank all the time.

But I'm almost ashamed of giving advise there in 2's, rsham+lock is probably the most stupid comp together with priest+mage/rogue/feral. Play dual dps for fast fun matches or do 3's (mage or rogue as third and you'll have an imba comp)

Also don't underestimate upgrades like weapon etc, the huge chunk of SP means you'll have to cast less for same healing.
    And reforge everything to spirit until you're fine (tsunami trinket or spine trinket should also be nice). haste not really needed with tidal waves and crit is rng, mastery is really good, but not worth to reforge for, your heals at low hp targets (esp with lock) are already imba enough to push them out of danger zone.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its happening in arenas, not often in BGs. And yea, we were on a real unlucky streak lol

I keep Earth Shield up on him and Riptide and I heal mostly with Healing Surge, I also try to keep the Water shield on me except for when they try to jump on me which I will then switch to Earth Shield. I'm still working on gearing him so I know some of the stats will change. I think one of the things causing me to go OOM is cleansing, it seems, especially on Mages that there is a crap load to cleanse.

dont spam cleans... just because its a magic debuff dosnt mean you have to cleans it. cleans CC and any stuns you can " frost mage stun and paladin stun for example " IF you have the mana for it you can throw a couple out, but mainly just use it for spells that cuase lots of damage or CC... it just costs to much mana to spam.

if you want some shamans will use it every 8 seconds for the instant heal aswell.

Its happening in arenas, not often in BGs. And yea, we were on a real unlucky streak lol

I keep Earth Shield up on him and Riptide and I heal mostly with Healing Surge, I also try to keep the Water shield on me except for when they try to jump on me which I will then switch to Earth Shield. I'm still working on gearing him so I know some of the stats will change. I think one of the things causing me to go OOM is cleansing, it seems, especially on Mages that there is a crap load to cleanse.
    Hm i have only had some experience with arena pvping on my resto shaman, make sure to use unleash life as you havent mentioned it, an unleash element not only increases the direct heal but also the hot of riptide and riptide is 1 of ur main healing spells. Also if someone is getting hammered and you have time to get a hard cast heal off, then unleash elements, ghw / healing surge, and then instant riptide buffs both the healing surge / ghw and riptide for some added healing.
    As mentioned above I would definitly suggest getting heart of unliving, it gives a huge amount of spirit and after so much resilience, spirit becomes more useful than getting maybe 2% more damage reduction. Also definitely reforge all your stats into spirit. Spirit is probably our most useful stat for arena as unlike pve we cant spam lightning bolt for tc and generally skip the talent anyway.
    I usually dont cleanse that much tbh, maybe just the critical 1s like combustion, or hammer of justice to name a few. Just cleansing once every 6seconds or so for the cleansing waters to kick in with a heal is usually good enough.
    Slows, they help ALOT especially as a double caster team. If you are getting pummeled, earthbind, ghost wolf away and you dont take any damage from those melee. Same with your lock tm. Slows are just so useful at avoiding damage.
    Also ghw does a lot more healing per mana than healing surge. If you are able to fake cast successfully and waste the enemies interrupt, you can use interrupt bar to see when you do, instead of spamming healing surges, try a ghw.
    Well I think thats everything i can think of
    Hope I helped
    Edit: Just thought of a couple more things - what I try and do is place my totems behind a pillar or something, which makes them less likely to get killed by the enemy. Especially mana tide totem, it gives a fair amount of mana back and you really dont want something killing it before its durations up and healing stream totem does a nice amount of healing itself.
    And apart from all that, just practice. Once you get a hang of how to pvp properly and can work with your team mate the less damage and mana you will need to spend
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2012-06-11 at 06:02 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advice... I wll make an attempt at following it tonight as we are gonna try to finish our games.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    TY again for the help, we did much better with our games this week only losing once...

TY again for the help, we did much better with our games this week only losing once...
    Awsome Glad i could have helped

Deleted
    The overhealing is simply a question about practice. As you say, you've recently started PvPing. The mana and spell usage is much different from PvE environments. I'll recommend you to look into getting a spirit trinket as well - Darkmoon Card: Tsunami instead of your Ruthless Gladiator's Emblem of Tenacity would grant you more intellect - thereby spellpower - as well as a good chunk of spirit.

For a PvP'er you have quite a lot of haste. All of your haste is useless unless you are planning on reaching the 1st haste breakpoint of 916 haste as a non-goblin. Reforge/Enchant this haste into a more beneficial stat in this order Intellect > Spirit > Mastery. Generally, resto shamans also gem into a ton of resilience. Being sat close to or above 5k resilience is fairly common - this would require you get obtain some better gear first though!

One last thing, try to reach the spell hit cap of 4% in PvP also. This will reduce the chance of your crucial CC or interrupts to never miss and that could in certain situations turn a game around.

I haven't had this issue yet. in bg's i always sneak a water here and there, plus MT totem and having WS you'll be surprised how much mana you get. Once you get more gear and your heals start crit'in more, with WS up you get some mana back. Which helps you out. Follow the reforge advice and try to be a little more conservative with some heals and see how you go.

Mana control can seem weird for a shammy at first. Dont use the passive mana totem tho. always have healing stream out. 2.3k heals every 2 secnds to everyone never hurt anyone. You can also almost get by with only instant casts in arena if your team knows what they are doing. always earth shield the guy youre healing. ES plus unleash elements plus riptide is incredible. You gain the extra healing on your earth shielded target and the extra effectiveness of UE will make your riptide a beast and you'll find that you aren't silenced as much and your mana is pretty good. dont be afraid to drop mana tide totem at about 60% mana either. If you notice your mana tide/ spirit link totem are getting targeted drop a stoneclaw totem down. DO NOT FORGET: Stone claw totem protects your totems as well as puts a bubble on you if glyphed for it. Thats really all i can think of. any more questions message me in game. Rompa horde Black dragonflight

Quote Originally Posted by delaxes View Post
    Edit: Just thought of a couple more things - what I try and do is place my totems behind a pillar or something, which makes them less likely to get killed by the enemy. Especially mana tide totem, it gives a fair amount of mana back and you really dont want something killing it before its durations up and healing stream totem does a nice amount of healing itself.
    Quick addition, after placing MTT use a stoneclaw totem to place a shield on it and if they have casters throw down grounding totem, helps the totem survive that little bit more.

Cool

just also following the post above about chucking down Stoneclaw after a manatide totem, I'd also add learn how to positition your totems where u want them. When you start to do arena's and RBG's if you can place a MTT behind something to LOS it, but stand near it while healing your team mates you'll benefit greatly and might not have to pop ScTotem until that scary warrior comes charging over. I like doing this with magma totems too with AB's...AV...etc, placing one one the flag to annoy rogues. Also handy when we grab the flag, hide upstairs and place it in the path, cos its up for 2mins its pretty handy, i just wonder if a rogue timed it well enough could they sneak past? dunno. This is also helpful with Earthbind, instead of leaving it in the open try to chuck it behind something and then GW outta there. I do this in TB, if i'm defending WV and a warrior is chasing me, i'll wait until i'm around the corner and throw EB totem down. If that fails just strafe and Frost Shock.

When you start doing arena's, against 2v2's and 1 healer each team, i find the one who has better mana regen is the winner. Although priests can cheat in a sence with that rule and mana burn us, but it gets them the win. With grounding totem, Hex and Wind Shear, we can counter this. Outlast the other guy and you'll win.