Explain how damage is calculated to me please

Right .... playing my Demon hunter ( lvl 40 atm )

I did look thru some of the junk i had in my invitory .. i see a ring, only stat was : +6-12 damge nothing else i mouseover it and compare it with what i use, a ring with : 53 dex some MF and lifeleech and a socket with a 30 dex gem ( so 83 dex totaly ) now the tooltip claims that if i use the + damage ring over the 83 dex ring i get 100.2 more dps ....so how is that + damage ring so much better ?

another exsample is i have a helm with 1 usefull stat to me 7% faster attack speed this is suposed to be better then a helm with 81 dex ? 7% faster attack is nice and all but is it realy better then the big chunk of dex that are suposed to be my primary damage stat ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Right .... playing my Demon hunter ( lvl 40 atm )

I did look thru some of the junk i had in my invitory .. i see a ring, only stat was : +6-12 damge nothing else i mouseover it and compare it with what i use, a ring with : 53 dex some MF and lifeleech and a socket with a 30 dex gem ( so 83 dex totaly ) now the tooltip claims that if i use the + damage ring over the 83 dex ring i get 100.2 more dps ....so how is that + damage ring so much better ?

another exsample is i have a helm with 1 usefull stat to me 7% faster attack speed this is suposed to be better then a helm with 81 dex ? 7% faster attack is nice and all but is it realy better then the big chunk of dex that are suposed to be my primary damage stat ?
    Because the +damage, also known as minimum- and maximum damage, are added to the base value, from which everything else is calculated. If you want to read more on exactly how things are calculated, I would suggest the Diablo III Combat Mechanics Compendium. If you want an easy to use spreadsheet for demon hunters, I'd suggest the one made by Dretar, on the official forums. I'll attach the link below.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...1698386?page=1

It really is quite simple and very accurate spreadsheet for demon hunters and I use it quite a lot when comparing upgrades that I'm maybe reading from the trade forums, the in-game chat, or the AH, since you can't get item comparisons on those sources. Just make sure you read the instructions on the first page properly.

Good luck.

Awsome info there thanks a lot !

Deleted
    Nps. Just a small warning about the spreadsheet. There is an issue with whole numbers, which causes it to have a small margin for error with weapons that have a %-damage stat. But it is pretty minor. Otherwise, it has never been inaccurate for me.

Enjoy