Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Monk Acts 2-4 Inferno Guide

Heya everybody! Finally finished my 2nd Monk guide which covers Acts 2 through 4 on Inferno difficulty. This guide contains good specs, correct gear, stat values as well as some actual game play through acts 2 - 4! There's more guides to come, the next one will cover good farming spots through out acts 1 - 4 on Inferno as well as 2 Wizard guides to follow soon after!! Hope this is helpful to all of you Monks out there

**The sound on the video is a tad bit low at the moment, re-uploading it first thing in the morning with the sound adjusted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjdTSF4CGc

nice video; appreciated it!
    i still have a problem getting a nice one-handed weapon with a nice amount of dps an stats like life per hit etc...still too expensive atm.
    and now i'm changing my gear to more dex than vita....had about 50k life but less then 1k dex
    and with my awful weapon i don't deal dmg ^^ nice stats but 400 dps sucks in inferno -.-

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting watch. I actually started a monk alt earlier today, so it was great to see how they play out in late Inferno.

Deleted
    Glad it's helping!

havent posted here for a looog time now but on topic, great video /respect

that was great, i actually watched it all the way through, even with the rambling at the end!
    I do have a question aswell, i found a monk fist weapon with 700 dps 1.4 AS 160 Vit and 600 life on hit. Would it be best to try sell it (not sure if its worth anything) and buy something with more dps?

My monks about to hit 60 and i have my WD i can freely farm act 3 with. Just a bit clueless on monks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great guide! Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but my Monk got up to Inferno yesterday and this should be very helpful.

Good info, glad to see melee doing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funt Case View Post
    that was great, i actually watched it all the way through, even with the rambling at the end!
    I do have a question aswell, i found a monk fist weapon with 700 dps 1.4 AS 160 Vit and 600 life on hit. Would it be best to try sell it (not sure if its worth anything) and buy something with more dps?

My monks about to hit 60 and i have my WD i can freely farm act 3 with. Just a bit clueless on monks.
    thats a pretty decent weapon actually
    I'd hold onto it until you can farm up some cash for a higher dps weapon with similar stats
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2012-06-11 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo

Really liked it, and your first video of act I farming; however, I picked up a a 2-hander with a ton more dps and loh, and dex, and I do a LOT more damage now, but my spirit generation is soooo terrible it just irks me to no belief. Is there some way to counteract that? Just more attack speed increase? I cannot afford similar one handers unfortunely, which is my preferred playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks nmityosarus, that's helpful. Typically I love challenges (was a heroic mode raider in wow), and hate nerfs to death, but I'm having a very difficult time getting the gear to overcome the gigantic mathematical barrier that is Act 2 Inferno. I beat the Butcher with 9.5k dps, but I also sat in his enrage for a good 20 seconds frantically healing and grabbing the health pools on the sides of the room. That is all to say that my dps is abysmally low and now Act 2 is all but impossible for me. This was a nice video to show me what kind of gear to shoot for.

This guide was absolutely beautiful.

Just sayin'. Its gonna be a huge help for me. 10/10

Though I can't advocate the use of deadly reach over CW+concussion. 20% less damage + 25% from resolve is a 45% damage debuff on anything you get your 3rd hit of your primary on, plus a 20% attack speed slow, and a 30% snare. Snare isn't as important, but 45% damage debuff is quite significant, and as far as I know, the flat damage reduction works on all elemental damage as well. I know armor factors in to reduction of all damage, but it isn't nearly as influential as resists are for mitigating all that plague and molten. Flat reduction on those would be much much much better than armor, especially when you can run shield + seize the initiative and breach 8k armor with your enchantress out.

Playstyle choice however. For stuff I don't have 100% on farm, or I need the reduction from (a3+4), I run that, for a luls dps build, I run conviction + overawe with CW+mangle, for all the 60k crits.

Crippling wave 4 life.
    Last edited by Illunis; 2012-06-15 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RunItsTheFuz View Post
    thats a pretty decent weapon actually
    I'd hold onto it until you can farm up some cash for a higher dps weapon with similar stats
    thanks, ill do that

Deleted
    Amazing that this is helping people so much! If you want to get in contact with me the best way is through my Youtube inbox!

What's the benefit of Deadly Reach over Concussion glyphed Crippling Wave? I've seen a couple people advocate this, but it just doesn't make sense. What could possibly be better than slowing enemy attack speed by 20% AND causing them to do 20% less damage?

Sweeping Wind is a decent enough offensive ability, but don't you think that Earth Ele is better for any content you don't already overgear? She can tank 1-3 elites no problem and has a very low cast cost for when she does die. There's not much better for damage mitigation than effectively removing a couple of the mobs from the fight entirely.

The treasure goblin you mention at 15:16 was removed from the game about a week ago. Hence why you couldn’t find it. Blizz has been on a rampage about such things.

I would suggest Erosion over Disorient for your Enchantress. Besides the fact that she casts it at all the wrong times, the daze effect expires when the mob takes damage (I'm pretty sure - not in a place I can check) and since you’re doing so much AoE as a Monk, it’s pretty much a waste. On the other hand, the increased damage of Erosion lasts for 3 seconds and is on a 15 second CD. So it's pretty nice.

From a technical standpoint, the first ~8 minutes of your video really could have been summed up in about 60 seconds. It's just a list base stats that could have been read off a piece of paper with much more speed and efficiency.

Seize the Initiative turns 100% of your Dexterity into Armor, not the other way around. I’m sure you know that, but the way you described it in the video (at about 13:46) was backwards. You also referred to Dexterity as Armor a second or so later when you said, “If you have really high Armor… it adds straight onto your Armor”. These two flubs make your description of this passive very confusing and utterly wrong.

I stopped at about 19:00 (when you started talking Act III) because I'm hungry and want dinner. I'll probably come back and listen to the rest later because it's not too bad at all so far.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-06-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Scorched Earth --> Erosion
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't done the math or anything, but I would think +50% armor beats -20% attack speed and dmg. In addition it works against everything hitting you (including ranged stuff), while Crippling Wave would only debuff current targets.

It's pretty easy to test. For me, 50% armor only bought me 7.82% damage reduction. Well below even just the single 20% damage reduction on Concussion - to say nothing of the 20% attack speed decrease.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    These are always great, but they always just say the same stuff to me.
    "Go get this gear and youll be set etc"

I know what to get, I just dont want to farm for money to buy it

Looks good, but I don't understand the "LOOK, MONKS ARE VIABLE!1!1!" screaming (mostly from comments of such videos).

It IS possible to clear everything as melee, no one ever claimed otherwise. However it takes XY times longer (than with ranged) to get that massive gear set needed for that.