Deleted

How Should A Mage AoE?

Greetings,

I am an arcane Mage lvl 85. How should I AoE in Heroics?

Deleted
    Option 1: Spec fire, spread living bombs and ignites with impact-fireblast while flamestriking / blastwaving

Option 2 (the bad choice): Just nuke one target at a time with arcane blast

Option 3 (the terrible choice): Arcane explosion

Go with option 1

Essentially you cast 4 Arcane Blasts to stack the debuff, stand in the middle of the pack and cast 4 Arcane Explosions.
    Refresh your debuff by casting one Arcane Blast on some target (preferably the one with the highest health so you don't waste time casting if the mob dies) and then keep on spamming AE.

You shouldn't however AoE as Arcane when there's only a few targets up. I'd advice you to stay on single target rotation when there's < 6 mobs.

or option 4 which would be the right choice,
    4 AB 3 AE than 1 AB every 3 AE to keep the buff up
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Deleted
    Sounds great. Thanks for the advice

Arcane really isn't the best spec for AoE. I have had great success with Fire by have Living Bomb on three targets (when possible) and spreading Ignite with Impact; I use Blastwave and Flamestrike when BW is on cool-down to proc Impact. Ideally, you will also want to spread Combustion, which will cause your DPS will skyrocket.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    or option 4 which would be the right choice,
    4 AB 3 AE than 1 AB every 3 AE to keep the buff up
    ^ yup for Arcane.

However, as arcane, if for whatever reason you can't get into close range to use Arcane Explosion, you can still use the old standby of cast Flamestrike->cast Blizzard and repeat. (not as good as AE but surprisingly still decent)

It all depends upon how many targets you are attempting to hit, the type of monsters, the hp of those targets, the dps of your group, the squishiness of your tank, and the shittiness of your healer.

Sometimes, burning down one priority mob with arcane blast is the correct choice, sometimes just spamming arcane explosion is.

Despite what the previous posters say, you should almost never attempt a 4 stack of arcane blast before using arcane explosion. In 5 mans, monsters simply die too quickly for this to be an effective use of your time. Pom blast one as you're running up to them if blink is on cd, but that's about it.

Had our arcane do 3-4 times the aoe that our combat rogue did on Warlord Zonnie hc yesty. So yes, Arcane is viable for aoe with ae rotation
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaziOfTheSkies View Post
    Had our arcane do 3-4 times the aoe that our combat rogue did on Warlord Zonnie hc yesty. So yes, Arcane is viable for aoe with ae rotation
    There is no AoE on Zon'ozz.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaziOfTheSkies View Post
    No, arcane is not viable for aoe at Yorsahj, he should stick to single target nuking the boss and leave the mini faceless adds to proper aoe classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fire is simply better for AoE damage.
    Arcane can still do AoE damage tho, they are maybe not as good as real AE classes, but still viable.
    However, the singletarget that you can do in Arcane when you can stand still, is much better than that AoE you provide.
    So only if the AE is really needed for some reason, and you aren't Fire for whatever reason, you should help out AoEing.
    Otherwise just stick to single-target.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard arcane does good aoe on Yor'sahj when the void sucks up all your mana.

/sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I heard arcane does good aoe on Yor'sahj when the void sucks up all your mana.

/sarcasm
    Because Fire can totally AoE without mana, right?

/sarcasm
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

10+ Year Old Account
    Also be sure you run in circles and jump while spamming arcane explosions.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Because Fire can totally AoE without mana, right?

/sarcasm
    Mage armor / Evocation.

Now, we take into account of Arcanes Mana Adept mastery effect. Fire can totally AoE at full power with less than 10% mana, arcane can't.

Anyway, others have already said the best way to AoE. I personally prefer Arcane because Fire just makes me frustrated, I can't deal with RNG in my RNG so I can RNG some damage. >.>
    Last edited by mmoc25dd3c0fad; 2012-06-15 at 06:50 PM.

Fire mages can aoe effectively with far less mana than an arcane mage can. If you plan ahead, get dots up before your mana drains, pop a gem for DB, BW, and maybe FS, you have enough left over for Combustion + Impact.

After that, burn the void.

More than 3 targets, that have more than 500k hp, stack 4x ab and arcane explosion refreshing stacks everytime they are abt to fall off, other than that.. dont bother with aoe and single target to victory

Deleted
    just spam arcane explosion, you could try to keep the 4stack buff but chances are all the mobs will be dead by the time you get to 4, so just run in and spam AE