Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Ebbikenezer:
    You know that I fully agree with you. But raging right back doesn't really solve anything, either.

The truth is that most people are, indeed, as ignorant, entitled and self-centred as you say people are. A customer buys a product and is unhappy with it: Well; it's really too bad, but that was their personal investment, and it's not the crafter's fault that the customer is unhappy. The customer made the choice of purchase.
    Crafter want to make customers happy so that more customers will decide to purchase, though. But customers don't know or understand anything about the crafters' lives. They don't WANT to know. Because most people simply don't CARE about other people anymore.
    A crafter, to a customer, is just a nameless, faceless automaton whose only reason to exist is to make the customer happy.

It's bullshit, arrogant, demeaning, ignorant and blatantly stupid, but there you have it: That is what people, on the whole, are like.

We can rage all we want, but that's not going to change anything. So instead, we could try harder to make people aware of the fact that, on the other side of the product, is a person who made that product. They've spent hours upon hours, and much of the project was tiring, annoying and stressful, but the product is their baby. Their creation.
    I think it would help the world if people in general would be more aware of the people behind a product, and less focussed on their personal interests and demands.

So to the world:
    Game developers don't do this work for the money. If you want to make lots of money, game development is DEFINITELY not the way to do it.
    Making a game is hard. Designing and maintaining a system, modelling the graphics, setting bug-free code... They're all really, really hard. Lots of work, little pay.
    Respect that a little.
    Respect craftsmen. Respect a stone-mason. Respect someone who can build roads, or bridges for their craft. Respect carpenters, respect electricians. And respect code monkeys, modellers, music composers and system designers a bit more than you're doing now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Respect craftsmen. Respect a stone-mason. Respect someone who can build roads, or bridges for their craft. Respect carpenters, respect electricians. And respect code monkeys, modellers, music composers and system designers a bit more than you're doing now.
    again with the ignorant comsumers.. really so because we vent, complain, blah blah blah we suddenly dont respect them? and on another note.. ofc they do it for the money, they might love what they do.. but its for the money 99.9% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    again with the ignorant comsumers.. really so because we vent, complain, blah blah blah we suddenly dont respect them? and on another note.. ofc they do it for the money, they might love what they do.. but its for the money 99.9% of the time.
    Every consumer is ignorant. I am currently consuming a fruit juice, while using a web-forum. I am fully ignorant of both of these products, from a producer's point of view. I readily accept this; I did not specialize in either of these fields.

Also, your continued assertion that developers do it for the money is wrong, wrong, wrong. I've explained this prior, but you're just putting your fingers in your ears and go 'ner ner ner.'

So let me try to explain:
    A game designer loves making games. They want to make games, and share these in order to make people happy. However, making games takes a hell of a lot of time, which means if you take a job you do NOT enjoy, you're doing something you're not enjoying, and that time could have gone to doing what you love. So people who make games like to get paid for making games so that they have the opportunity to make more (and better) games.
    People need to eat, need housing, need all sorts of things. In our capitalist economy, the means to acquire those things is money. So people who make games need money. They're not making games for money, but they want money in order to support themselves. And what greater good is there than being able to support yourself by doing what you love?

Again, Insanoflex, you are ignorant of this topic. While I wouldn't have faulted you to be ignorant of these few things (not of the actual job, but the things around it at least), this topic has gone on for quite some time, and yet you still CHOOSE to remain ignorant, despite the viewpoints provided here.
    There's nothing wrong with being ignorant of something. But choosing to be ignorant is an entirely different matter.

You simply don't WANT to look at the other person's point of view. Maybe that is because your sense of entitlement grants you a sense of comfort. That you like the thought of being entitled. I'm merely hazarding a guess, and I could well be completely off the mark.
    But actual developers have told you you're wrong in your assertions, and still you refute that. So there must be some underlying reason for your stubbornness. Maybe it's simply because you're not yet past the age of twenty-five; your frontal lobe won't have fully developed, and you are simply neurologically unable to be fully empathic towards your fellow human. I don't know; again another wild guess.

Deleted
    Every consumer is ignorant. I am currently consuming a fruit juice, while using a web-forum. I am fully ignorant of both of these products, from a producer's point of view. I readily accept this; I did not specialize in either of these fields.
    no youre wrong.. you call consumers ignorant even though you know nothing about them, what they do, how they complain, etc etc.. generalisations and presumptions are what make YOU ignorant.

Also, your continued assertion that developers do it for the money is wrong, wrong, wrong. I've explained this prior, but you're just putting your fingers in your ears and go 'ner ner ner.'
    continued? i said it once.. and non of these developers would stick around if they werent getting paid. Most have families, homes, expenses.. and while its great to do something you love, you also need to be paid.

*watching football so ill respond to more later* XOXOXOX
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2012-06-13 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Quite honestly, the average person, even a gamer, knows jack shit about game design. You'd get irritated too if uninformed masses kept trying to tell you how to do your job, instead of making polite suggestions. Blizzard, and other developers, take a lot of shit for things that aren't even ridiculous. Again, most of the time, people ARE idiots.
    This x9001. The idiotic statements that gamers make all the damn time about things they know nothing about... the level of ignorance and entitlement is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    looking for any tiny little hiccups in the coding ANYWHERE to make sure the unforgiving shitbag, worthless, pedantic, self-entitled, piece of shit present-day gamers don't BITCH AND WHINE all DAY about shit they have absolutely no fucking understanding of.
    Bahahhahaa, so hilariously, brutally, truthfully accurate.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-06-13 at 04:43 PM.

bitches can't be gamers. therefore this video is fake.

Lets not insult groups of people on these forums. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-14 at 05:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't recall anyone forcing you to play their content. If you can't be happy with the fact that people work very hard to please you, and you cannot be arsed to actually contribute yourself, then you should probably just look for a different hobby.
    No scratch on my boat if you do.
    Since they want me to spend money on their product then I certainly can, and do, expect them to earn it. They can work their butts off to "please me." If it doesn't actually "please me," but they still want my money, then how "hard" they worked doesn't really matter. Maybe they should have worked smarter instead of harder?
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-06-13 at 08:56 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Loved the video, it's a reflection of almost every area of software development. You can spend days on end hacking out code, and someone will always pick up on the tiniest little thing you neglected!

As some one who is in the process of learning programming and has friends with more background in programming, I will say that it's not easy to design a game but I do support Constructive Criticism as long as it helps the developers. The criticism that is not constructive and is just whining needs to go away and those people need to reevaluate their views on things and learn to respect others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Since they want me to spend money on their product then I certainly can, and do, expect them to earn it. They can work their butts off to "please me." If it doesn't actually "please me," but they still want my money, then how "hard" they worked doesn't really matter. Maybe they should have worked smarter instead of harder?
    Or maybe you need to find some other game that apparently has higher standards.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I keep looking and I actually find a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Most indie outfits are exactly this. They're out to make a game, not make a buck (usually.) They don't care if their platform game hell is too hard for 80% of players, they're only catering to the people they're catering to.

Obviously this is bad for business (if you want to be hugely successful), but it does create loyalty in your user base. At this point I would probably buy any game with Edmund McMillan's name on it simply because every game of his I've played has been fantastic.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Most indie outfits are exactly this. They're out to make a game, not make a buck (usually.) They don't care if their platform game hell is too hard for 80% of players, they're only catering to the people they're catering to.

Obviously this is bad for business (if you want to be hugely successful), but it does create loyalty in your user base. At this point I would probably buy any game with Edmund McMillan's name on it simply because every game of his I've played has been fantastic.
    Pretty much. The funniest part of that video is that it shows the failures on both ends of the spectrum. On the customer side is the lack of constructive criticism. Well, its sort of like Robin Williams on Sesame Street. You can tell that they are alive, and customers, because they eat, breathe, grow, and bitch. The last part is in the director's cut. Expecting them not to complain is like expecting them not to eat, breathe, or grow. While they may be mostly "uninformed" complaints, if they knew the complete picture then they could probably just make the game themselves and not bother with paying you at all.

On the developer side is the lack of professionalism. It doesn't actually matter that its crunch and you haven't slept. It doesn't actually matter if you worked very hard on it. If lack of sleep was that much of a problem, then improve your time management skills. If you're not working hard, then maybe you are paid too much. You are being paid to make a game. A game that you are selling. If you can't be a professional then for heaven's sake, stay out of sight. Shopping for compliments or sympathy is begging for disappointment and fighting bitching, with bitching, reflects poorly on your pay grade and product.