Thread: What is WvWvW

What is WvWvW

Everyone in my guild is trying to convince me to play gw2 as we play many other games together.

One of the big selling points I keep hearing is wvwvw pvp, but what is it?

Server vs server? I'm not seeing a difference between that and random bg's, with 10k+ people on a server I can't see much of a 'community' feeling (except the ones that must make their presence known in chat every 3 seconds).
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

At it's most basic level it's a BG on a massive, army like scale. It feels better than expected sieging a keep in a big 100 VS 80+guards battle. Personally, I couldn't care much less about WvW. It's the least interesting part of the game for me. I would recommend you do your research on the game yourself, don't just get it based off of hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    At it's most basic level it's a BG on a massive, army like scale. It feels better than expected sieging a keep in a big 100 VS 80+guards battle. Personally, I couldn't care much less about WvW. It's the least interesting part of the game for me. I would recommend you do your research on the game yourself, don't just get it based off of hype.
    ahh ty, that doesn't sound bad, sounds laggy, but not uninteresting
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    ahh ty, that doesn't sound bad, sounds laggy, but not uninteresting
    I was getting a pretty steady 30FPS on the highest possibly settings in huge 100per side fights. I have a good PC, but still.. that's about the same as I used to get in a 25man in WoW for some bosses on the highest settings there. So it doesn't seem to bad.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WvW is a blasty! It's soo much fun! and addicting. The push and pull of taking locations, intercepting supply caravans, etc. Small hunting groups taking out the smaller "nodes" and stragglers is so much fun. There is a great sense of community actually. I saw a lot of the same people, we didn't just zerg, we planned, schemed, and went about it like business. Spending a few hours capping areas, and battle two other servers, then going to bed, only to wake up and see another server has taken over the lead!!?? GAH! "gotta get back in there and show those guys what for!"

Do some research as stated previously, but it so much fun, if that's all the game was, i would be sold. Luckily the "questing" process is fun, and crafting is amazingly fun and challenging!

Imagine wintergrasp with deployable turrets, NPCs, keeplords and a gate.....Now imagine that times about 16....Now imagine that 16 times the size of wintergrasp is only ONE of the 4 maps....

Trust me...your mind will be blown.

You are part of an army trying to take control over the Iron throne. You have Rob Stark to the North, Lanisters to the east, Stannis Baratheon to the west. While Rob stark and his men are heading south to claim the throne Theon tries to steal Winterfell from the Starks to claim for his own, Meanwhile Stannis's army marches to King's Landing but are utterly defeated by Tywin Lanister's poison. Ya da Ya Da some hookers are involved as well but you end up dying to some Elementalist's AoE

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't one of the people hyped up for WvW because I'm not much of a PVPer. That's not to say I had anything against it, but it wasn't on the top of my list.

But after playing some WvW, damn it's fun. The greatest thing about it, is it feels like a battle, not a deathmatch.

Quote Originally Posted by nelly676 View Post
    Imagine wintergrasp with deployable turrets, NPCs, keeplords and a gate.....Now imagine that times about 16....Now imagine that 16 times the size of wintergrasp is only ONE of the 4 maps....

Trust me...your mind will be blown.
    definatly cool server vs server and then when you think its all over .... theres another server there to HK you

I think my server likes WvWvW a little bit too much... This literally happened within the first 20 minutes.

Everyone ended up going underground and doing the jumping puzzle together. It was pretty fun, but quite long.... quite, quite long.

I agree, don't play pvp at all in wow but darn it's fun in gw2.
    my wow moment i had this weekend when we couldn't cap one of our keeps this weekend.

Heavily defended from the walls, so we built 4 trebuchets on a huge cliff pretty far away and started smashing the reinforced gate.
    Just seeing 4 huge fire rocks high above the air and smashing the gate down as so awesome then rushing in once the gate was finally destroyed.

woman vs. woman vs. woman

Watch this, minus the gay music. Show's why its so much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBt20KQT-9w
    Main: Vargox (Charr Engineer)
    Guild: Asinium - ASN is always recruiting! Launch day guild will be made and invites will be sent out and recruiting will commence on release.
    We are primarily an Aussie guild but are always recruiting anyone! Send me a message in game for an invite.
    Server: Sea of Sorrows (US)

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    You are part of an army trying to take control over the Iron throne. You have Rob Stark to the North, Lanisters to the east, Stannis Baratheon to the west. While Rob stark and his men are heading south to claim the throne Theon tries to steal Winterfell from the Starks to claim for his own, Meanwhile Stannis's army marches to King's Landing but are utterly defeated by Tywin Lanister's poison. Ya da Ya Da some hookers are involved as well but you end up dying to some Elementalist's AoE
    this is actually a really good example of wvw! nicely done

---------- Post added 2012-06-11 at 09:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-Lad View Post
    Watch this, minus the gay music. Show's why its so much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBt20KQT-9w
    LMAo too funny, she went in at what lvl 1? only one skill unlocked

LMAo too funny, she went in at what lvl 1? only one skill unlocked
    It's possible she could have just used a new weapon, Too many things to beat with in this game!

http://www.twitch.tv/tleyedrops/b/320787850 Here's a 15 hour long stream including a lot of WvW. Jump around and try to find them sieging a keep

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    It's possible she could have just used a new weapon, Too many things to beat with in this game!
    Easy way to tell that she is level one, at least under level 6. She doesn't have any utility skills.