Probably a stupid suggestion..

I was thinking they should put in a damage meter. Not even for co-op or pvp (Hell disable it in co-op for all I care) I just want to see just how effective certain things and strategies are, so I stop overvaluing bad talents essentially :P

Deleted
    i completly agree with you, for same reason

Putting visible details of the damage will cause problems, soon as people know the "best" build. People will be frowned upon for using different.
    This is coming from someone in act IV inferno using leaping spiders as my main spell

Deleted
    I would like that as well, it can be a pretty useful tool to improve your personal play. I'm very curious for example how much damage my Hydra does compared to my Blizzard, but aside from an estimated guess I have no data to look at.

I judge it by 2 simple things... A) Does shit die faster with X build.... Y/N . B) Do i stay alive longer with X build.... Y/N

Play it by ear so to speak. Some of the things i use i know are not the best dmg, or the best survival. However its what i feel comfortable using and it gets the job done.
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

No no no no no no no no. This is NOT World of Warcraft. Go back to that game if you want addons.

.... No.

All you need is to turn on detailed description of abilities. I am missing death log however. Hard to judge which of the five different aoes on the ground was the one I should have avoided more.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liania View Post
    No no no no no no no no. This is NOT World of Warcraft. Go back to that game if you want addons.

.... No.
    Who said anything about WoW? Or addons for that matter? Can any of you guys give me a reason why it shouldn't be added? Other than "Oh no it reminds me of WoW". Its not like this game has raiding of any sort, all of it can be completed solo so there's no peer pressure to conform to a build or look good on meters.

I'll give you an example: when I kite elites they are often outside of my screen, I can't see how much damage my Hydra does and how much my Blizzard does. I want to use my Arcane Dynamo +75% dmg proc on one of them but I have no idea which one and no way of really testing it out, this would be a fairly useful tool. Or just to brag about that big Impale crit on my DH or how hard that that Skull Cleaver melted my face when it hit me.

Its certainly not needed but its a useful tool to have and I don't see how it'll hurt anyone or be bad for the game. If someone can think of a way that this would make the game worse I'm open to hearing it but I can't think of one atm.

Quote Originally Posted by mirthen View Post
    I judge it by 2 simple things... A) Does shit die faster with X build.... Y/N . B) Do i stay alive longer with X build.... Y/N

Play it by ear so to speak. Some of the things i use i know are not the best dmg, or the best survival. However its what i feel comfortable using and it gets the job done.
    You cannot really play it by ear like that and actually KNOW though, due to RNG.

Deleted
    If not a damage meter, then atleast some way to determine damage done, be it a report log that you can study afterwards or active visual data.

Though, I may shoot myself in the foot here, because that might already exist and I don't know about it.

Lets ask a question, lets say you currently use a build that you enjoy, is fun, and you progress. Now with damage meter released you find out another build outputs 20% more damage with the same survivability, would you switch?

I ask this because its a dungeon crawler, and if you're killing stuff and not dying i dont see the reason for needing to know.

Sometimes is best to leave somethings in the dark for fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Who said anything about WoW? Or addons for that matter? Can any of you guys give me a reason why it shouldn't be added? Other than "Oh no it reminds me of WoW". Its not like this game has raiding of any sort, all of it can be completed solo so there's no peer pressure to conform to a build or look good on meters.

I'll give you an example: when I kite elites they are often outside of my screen, I can't see how much damage my Hydra does and how much my Blizzard does. I want to use my Arcane Dynamo +75% dmg proc on one of them but I have no idea which one and no way of really testing it out, this would be a fairly useful tool. Or just to brag about that big Impale crit on my DH or how hard that that Skull Cleaver melted my face when it hit me.

Its certainly not needed but its a useful tool to have and I don't see how it'll hurt anyone or be bad for the game. If someone can think of a way that this would make the game worse I'm open to hearing it but I can't think of one atm.
    I think what you're looking for is a combat log, and a parser that can analyze it. A damage meter alone would serve very little purpose imo. Combat is not the same in D3 as it is in WoW. The most challenging fights are against elites and champions, which are all very different, depending on the mob type, difficulty, and affix combination. Secondly, different builds and classes work in very different ways, in which just calculating just DPS will not tell you much. E.g. as a demon hunter, killing a boss on inferno is much less about how much damage I do, and more how well I avoid the boss's abilities.

Sure I can measure DPS but it won't be a realistic figure, considering I attack in bursts, punctuated by times of evading and dodging, when I might do almost no damage at all. A damage really would just produce misleading information. We already have demon hunters proudly presenting their DPS with sharpshooter, which tells you very little since it isn't your actual DPS.

That's why I think a combat log that lets you analyze every facet of the combat would be much more useful. You could look at incoming damage, calculate what kind of resistance gear you need, and so forth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I think what you're looking for is a combat log, and a parser that can analyze it. A damage meter alone would serve very little purpose imo. Combat is not the same in D3 as it is in WoW. The most challenging fights are against elites and champions, which are all very different, depending on the mob type, difficulty, and affix combination. Secondly, different builds and classes work in very different ways, in which just calculating just DPS will not tell you much. E.g. as a demon hunter, killing a boss on inferno is much less about how much damage I do, and more how well I avoid the boss's abilities.

Sure I can measure DPS but it won't be a realistic figure, considering I attack in bursts, punctuated by times of evading and dodging, when I might do almost no damage at all. A damage really would just produce misleading information. We already have demon hunters proudly presenting their DPS with sharpshooter, which tells you very little since it isn't your actual DPS.

That's why I think a combat log that lets you analyze every facet of the combat would be much more useful. You could look at incoming damage, calculate what kind of resistance gear you need, and so forth.
    I think most people thought of this - or something similar - aswell, we've just condensed it all into the words "Damage meter".

Just an effect of their prominence in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funt Case View Post
    Lets ask a question, lets say you currently use a build that you enjoy, is fun, and you progress. Now with damage meter released you find out another build outputs 20% more damage with the same survivability, would you switch?

I ask this because its a dungeon crawler, and if you're killing stuff and not dying i dont see the reason for needing to know.

Sometimes is best to leave somethings in the dark for fun
    This. This is exactly why there shouldn't be a damage meter. It would be hard not to use it, so it would force you into stupid min maxing, while now you can just use your fun, perhaps suboptimal build.

That and well, a damage meter wouldn't make much sense. Most classes on inferno run with like 1-2 damage abilities, and you have their damage stated pretty clearly in the tooltip. It's more about what defensive abilities you have and how you use them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I think most people thought of this - or something similar - aswell, we've just condensed it all into the words "Damage meter".

Just an effect of their prominence in WoW.
    ^ Pretty much this. When I use recount in WoW 90% of the time I'm not even looking at DMG but at the more detailed analysis of whatever it is I wanna know. I'd like something similar to keep track of things in Diablo 3. But you are right it is more about analyzing than just epeening "DPS".

Quote Originally Posted by ralh View Post
    This. This is exactly why there shouldn't be a damage meter. It would be hard not to use it, so it would force you into stupid min maxing, while now you can just use your fun, perhaps suboptimal build.
    So you'd rather have forced ignorance? Personally I wouldn't even use any "meter" to decide what build to use because like all you guys are saying - that would be dumb, this game can't be simplified down to a single meter. But when I do pick a build that is fun and effective, a tool of analysis will help me play it a little better or at least a little smarter. I find that fun at least *shrug*.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-06-11 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Relieved to hear that. The whole word "damage meter" makes me think of an addon like recount, which I personally would want to avoid. I'd much rather have a really well executed combat log with files that I can pull and run through a parse for good breakdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by ralh View Post
    Nobody forces you to min-max anything. Even in wow, you're free to play the style you want, as long as you have the balls to tell others to bugger off with their silly objections. I never settled for any fotm specs just because someone told me it'd be better. No point in such anyway since only a small minority of players have the skill to actually play such a spec. Same goes with D3, I play the spec I want and how I want, and the way that it fits me the most. I regularly spec out of nether tentacles for example, despite the fact that it is the "highest" damage ability.

I don't care. I can make other abilities work better in many situations.

What a combat log (notice I didn't say damage meter ) would still allow others to min-max the way they see fit. It would also allow us to truly measure how different builds fair, and get rid of misinformation that tends to be rampant atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Relieved to hear that. The whole word "damage meter" makes me think of an addon like recount, which I personally would want to avoid. I'd much rather have a really well executed combat log with files that I can pull and run through a parse for good breakdowns.

Nobody forces you to min-max anything. Even in wow, you're free to play the style you want, as long as you have the balls to tell others to bugger off with their silly objections. I never settled for any fotm specs just because someone told me it'd be better. No point in such anyway since only a small minority of players have the skill to actually play such a spec. Same goes with D3, I play the spec I want and how I want, and the way that it fits me the most. I regularly spec out of nether tentacles for example, despite the fact that it is the "highest" damage ability.

I don't care. I can make other abilities work better in many situations.

What a combat log (notice I didn't say damage meter ) would still allow others to min-max the way they see fit. It would also allow us to truly measure how different builds fair, and get rid of misinformation that tends to be rampant atm.
    I truly understand what you're saying mate, some people like to number crunch and still play builds they like. But unfortunately there's a lot of people who would use this information "for the powers of evil!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea, then all the Monks and Barbs with 10k DPS will be whined at for doing no damage while they're forced to gear for insane survivability or they get 2 shot on trash mobs. Great idea, no thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Good idea, then all the Monks and Barbs with 10k DPS will be whined at for doing no damage while they're forced to gear for insane survivability or they get 2 shot on trash mobs. Great idea, no thank you.
    Read the thread please. First of all we've already established that this is about a lot more than just "DPS meter" and that the term was only used out of habit. And second of all if someone is stupid enough to complain that their tank isn't stacking DPS then they are probably struggling at Skele King and not someone you'd wanna play with in the first place.

In the example of Barb I would love a statistic showing me how much I overheal on Revenge so I can see how much room I have to maximize my procs, or weather I should just spam them. Just one example of how I personally would use this in a way that has nothing to do with my 10k (well 14k to be exact..) DPS on Inferno Barb. A death log is another example, knowing what exactly killed me or did the most damage to me will let me be a lot smarter in the future.

Information is a good thing.