Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Website building

Hello, everyone.

I apologise if this thread isn't in the correct place, but I thought it suited here more than General Off Topic.

I'm currently involved in a family business and we're just getting everything up and running. Our domain is registered with
    www.123-reg.co.uk, and at this moment in time only has a few basic pictures and links like the Logo and 'About' and so on, made only by editing the raw html file. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with website building because we're wondering if it's a good idea to purchase 123-reg's own website builder, or is it a better idea to download some other software?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2012-06-11 at 12:14 PM.

there are plenty of free builders out there i would not suggest the 123-reg's software unless it is a well known software

---------- Post added 2012-06-11 at 07:20 AM ----------

on a side note if you have prior experience then you can always just download a good IDE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bhcmoney View Post
    there are plenty of free builders out there i would not suggest the 123-reg's software unless it is a well known software

---------- Post added 2012-06-11 at 07:20 AM ----------

on a side note if you have prior experience then you can always just download a good IDE
    Could you perhaps give some examples? I trust by 'free builders' you don't mean something like blogspot.

I'm not aware of any free automated website builders but if you can get adobe dreamweaver with its UI you can easily make your own website without having any knowledge or limited knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP or javascript etc.

All it takes is just a little common sense and if you get stuck just google anything you need, it's so easy my 7 year old does it (although they're not the best you will see haha).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    I'm not aware of any free automated website builders but if you can get adobe dreamweaver with its UI you can easily make your own website without having any knowledge or limited knowledge of HTML, CSS, PHP or javascript etc.

All it takes is just a little common sense and if you get stuck just google anything you need, it's so easy my 7 year old does it (although they're not the best you will see haha).
    I've been making sites (free ones, blogs, etc) and using computers since I was very young, I have no trouble with that aspect. I'm just wondering what the best software is to create a real site that goes on a real domain. Not something that's hosted like www.randomname.blogspot.com. I'm sorry if I come across as stubborn or something, I'm a bit stressed at the moment. Surely there is one good software that is highly recognised that most people use?

Deleted
    I use Joomla at work. It's a "locked", template based, website builder that works extremely well - especially if you will have less experienced people working with/using it. It's easy to install and set-up too, and creating a website using a template doesn't take that long. The interface is also pretty straight-forward.

For Joomla there's also a plethora of modules and add-on scripts to use. There's also a good amount of knowledgeable people on forums that can offer assistance.

Oh, and it's free.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I use Joomla at work. It's a "locked", template based, website builder that works extremely well - especially if you will have less experienced people working with/using it. It's easy to install and set-up too, and creating a website using a template doesn't take that long. The interface is also pretty straight-forward.

For Joomla there's also a plethora of modules and add-on scripts to use. There's also a good amount of knowledgeable people on forums that can offer assistance.

Oh, and it's free.
    I've downloaded it...yet in the rar there is no setup, exe. or anything. :/

Deleted
    If you want to build a website without any knowledge of HTML or CSS your options are limited and you won't be able to create a website that looks just like you want it to.

Wordpress.com / Wordpress.org is well known for being easy to use. You can build a decent website using free templates and widgets (user-created addons that bring functionality to your website) with ease.

I haven't really used it myself, but Joomla should be very similar to Wordpress. It's may more advanced than Wordpress to you but you'd also be able to be more creative with your website.

If you're going to create a fairly static website with no need for advanced functionality (think e-commerce, or anything that the visitor "interacts" with) then Adobe's new software Muse is a great choice. It's extremely easy to learn and you can "draw" your website yourself as if working in InDesign or similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    I've downloaded it...yet in the rar there is no setup, exe. or anything. :/
    You need to upload it to your (for example) MySQL database, preferably with a good FTP client like FileZilla. Installing Joomla thereafter is actually a breeze and something you should get costumed to (for back-up purposes and what-not).

Edit:
    Here: http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla!

Deleted
    You need to upload it to your (for example) MySQL database, preferably with a good FTP client like FileZilla. Installing Joomla thereafter is actually a breeze and something you should get costumed to (for back-up purposes and what-not).

Edit:
    Here: http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla!
    You need to fix your link, Marest. (Why would they ever put an exclaimation mark in an URL?)

Installing a CMS (like Joomla, Wordpress.org etc) is a fairly simple process.

• Create a database (easily done through a GUI like phpMyAdmin which is usually accesible through your web hosts site when logged in. Some web hosts can create the database for you and some CMS can create the database itself during installation), give it a name, password and administrator.
    • Upload the files associated to your CMS to your server through an FTP client (such as FileZilla). The files should usually be placed in a folder called public_html but it varies from different hosts.
    • Navigate to your domain in any browser and go to the setup folder. For instance, www.yourdomain.com/setup, or www.yourdomain.com/installation depending on which CMS you use. Follow the steps and fill in the information to the database you created.

Then it's done.

Deleted
    As someone mentioned Wordpress is great. Really user friendly back end, and you don't need any experience in coding at all. You can then buy a professional looking theme very cheap and voila. wordpress.org and themeforest.net should get you started.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninthward View Post
    As someone mentioned Wordpress is great. Really user friendly back end, and you don't need any experience in coding at all. You can then buy a professional looking theme very cheap and voila. wordpress.org and themeforest.net should get you started.
    I haven't spent much time with it, but I created a wordpress blog to see what it was all about it in comparison to something like blogspot it seems very un-userfriendly to me. Can you host with wordpress and do they give you a domain name without .wordpress in it?

I'm looking into dreamweaver, but it's probably overkill for what we want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    You need to fix your link, Marest. (Why would they ever put an exclaimation mark in an URL?)
    Link works fine in both Firefox and Chrome..?

Deleted
    Link works fine in both Firefox and Chrome..?
    http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla! <- doesn't work
    http://docs.joomla.org/Installing_Joomla! <- works

I haven't spent much time with it, but I created a wordpress blog to see what it was all about it in comparison to something like blogspot it seems very un-userfriendly to me. Can you host with wordpress and do they give you a domain name without .wordpress in it?

I'm looking into dreamweaver, but it's probably overkill for what we want.
    You can have any domain name you want if you install wordpress.org on your server.

Don't use Dreamweaver btw. To you, Muse is superior in every way.
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2012-06-11 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted

Installing a CMS (like Joomla, Wordpress.org etc) is a fairly simple process.

• Create a database (easily done through a GUI like phpMyAdmin which is usually accesible through your web hosts site when logged in. Some web hosts can create the database for you and some CMS can create the database itself during installation), give it a name, password and administrator.
    • Upload the files associated to your CMS to your server through an FTP client (such as FileZilla). The files should usually be placed in a folder called public_html but it varies from different hosts.
    • Navigate to your domain in any browser and go to the setup folder. For instance, www.yourdomain.com/setup, or www.yourdomain.com/installation depending on which CMS you use. Follow the steps and fill in the information to the database you created.

Then it's done.
    I created a database and have been presented with all these properties. I went to import and tried to upload Joomla, of course it didn't work. I don't know if I did it right or if I'm even on the right thing. Honestly, I don't even know what I'm trying to achieve.
    Here's an image...

http://i.imgur.com/uwdnM.jpg

Deleted
    I created a database and have been presented with all these properties. I went to import and tried to upload Joomla, of course it didn't work. I don't know if I did it right or if I'm even on the right thing. Honestly, I don't even know what I'm trying to achieve.
    Here's an image...

http://i.imgur.com/uwdnM.jpg
    It sounds like you're trying to upload the Joomla files into your database? That's not right.

Your database is already created on the server. Now you should upload the Joomla files to the server through an FTP client such as Filezilla (Run Filezilla, connect to the server using information given to you from your host, drag and drop the Joomla files from your computer to the appropriate - usually public_html - folder on the server).

Deleted
    Both work just fine for me. Also the one where you have "doesn't work" is the one without an exclamation mark.

Anyway, off topic really.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but this is getting rather frustrating. Is this what everyone does that has there own site? I can't see it being. We don't want a complex site. Just something to convey information. What is the easiest way, I mean...I feel like I'm missing something here. The only proper way that I can see is editing the HTML completley raw, but that's just not going to do. All I want to do is create a website, export it, upload it to here:

http://i.imgur.com/zplZz.jpg

Done. :/

Deleted
    It's the way websites are built. It's not really that complicated once you get your head around it.

Building websites in raw HTML and CSS is not to recommend. You will have to duplicate code on every new site and... it will be a mess. You can code it in PHP and get a good result I guess but you can't circumvent the need for a proper database and structure.

Since it's business related, better to do it properly.

Deleted
    It's the way websites are built. It's not really that complicated once you get your head around it.

Building websites in raw HTML and CSS is not to recommend. You will have to duplicate code on every new site and... it will be a mess. You can code it in PHP and get a good result I guess but you can't circumvent the need for a proper database and structure.
    I miss using microsoft frontpage, that was good. So is the only way to do all of that stuff above?