Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RawrPala View Post
    The school leaving age is 16, yes, owever few will consider you an adult untill 18 because you can't do jackshit because you have to be 18 for so many things.

Left school =/= adult
    True, adulthood is 18. Before then you cannot vote, drink or go to war.

at 16 you are not a man yet or a grown woman. You have no idea yet what the world is about and through your rosy thinthed glasses you think about you and not your parents.

1- your parent know better.
    2- at 16 you are not done studying, unless you go through university and get a proper masters or above: no you are not done.
    3- If you are that set in joining the army and I would be your dad, I would refuse unless you can do what it takes and get to the schools that train you as an officer, not as a meat shield to go die some useless unknow death in the other side of the world.

You might think, and again it is your youth talking, that you will be doing a service to people in Afghanistan. No they dont want us there. Stick it in your brain.

Before going to help others, what good are you if you are not even helping first those around you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    at 16 you are not a man yet or a grown woman. You have no idea yet what the world is about and through your rosy thinthed glasses you think about you and not your parents.

2- at 16 you are not done studying, unless you go through university and get a proper masters or above: no you are not done.
    3- If you are that set in joining the army and I would be your dad, I would refuse unless you can do what it takes and get to the schools that train you as an officer, not as a meat shield to go die some useless unknow death in the other side of the world.

You might think, and again it is your youth talking, that you will be doing a service to people in Afghanistan. No they dont want us there. Stick it in your brain.

Before going to help others, what good are you if you are not even helping first those around you?
    Not everybody is capable of getting a Masters degree, the armed forces can offer qualifications that would otherwise be difficult to obtain in civvie street.

10+ Year Old Account
    When i was there they welcomed us friendly and didn't look at us like a threat.
    The biggest threat for the locals are the taliban, Afghanistan needs to get rid of those fanatics.

oc we can let them solve they'r problems by themself, but will it be better for them to be overrun by the taliban?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Failerovski View Post
    When i was there they welcomed us friendly and didn't look at us like a threat.
    The biggest threat for the locals are the taliban, Afghanistan needs to get rid of those fanatics.

oc we can let them solve they'r problems by themself, but will it be better for them to be overrun by the taliban?
    Same experiences when I was out there, They loved us Brits. Before we came along the Taliban used to "tax" them and conscript local young men to fight for them. At least when we were there Terry was shooting at us and not at local tribesmen. I fear it will all go to shit again when we finally leave.

I'm curious, you say your parents say "no way", but besides you caring what they think do they have any actual say in the matter? do they need to sign things before you can sign up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    I'm curious, you say your parents say "no way", but besides you caring what they think do they have any actual say in the matter? do they need to sign things before you can sign up?
    In the British forces you need your parents permission to join up if you are younger than 18.

Deleted

Got to love people who don't understand what the armed forces actually do for you.

What use is a masters degree when employers currently care more about who you know and not what you know. You can also study to get degrees etc within the armed forces for free and not get stuck in a £9k debt.

If this guy wants to join the army before he is 18, I would suggest he tries the insight course that the army offers. Then he can see weather or not he wants to go through the training. A career in the armed forces is one of the best options at the moment over a civvie job.

Just because you join up doesn't mean you're a "meat shield", if you pick infantry then you'll be ready to ship out quicker than any other job in the army. Pick an engineering or medical job and by the time you finish training you can leave without going on tour.

you're 16. you're a kid still. milk the free room and food at your parents for as long as you can. use this time to be a kid. seriously, you will miss it when it's gone. 18 - even though you're still mentally a child, on paper you're an adult and can do what you want.
    somebody call for d doctor?

Deleted
    Thanks to everyone who didn't have a go at me. does anyone have more info about this 'insight course'.

PS. I'm a girl

Deleted
    There goes your credibility...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
    Mirun
    In my country the age of adulthood is 16 and I am 17. The reason I am so angry is because I have been open minded about the military - when my parents told me to look at the bad aspects I did but they have not been open minded. I asked them to look at the positives and they said all the positives are lies and 'propoganda'. They are the ones being childish. I've also been running working to improve my fitness everyday for weeks and have began a course of press ups to improve strength. I am taking positive steps in order to win my parents over and they cover their ears and don't listen - AND IM THE CHILD!? Also to answer your question I don't miss my parents when I am away from them. Also I can't get a job as somebody said unemployment is sky high. My twin sister couldn't even find volunteer work.
    Parents will always be protective off their children, and I can understand your parents. You are now flaming them, but in 2 years, you might think differently. Thats why that age limit is set. At your age you still grow a lot, although it is now mostly mentally. And I think that your parents see it more as a temporary "itch" that comes now, and is gone in a few months.
    Now if you are still really ready when you are 18, and you then still think that way, do go for it. I won't stop you, noone will, even your parents.

But do follow my advice -> do get a job; even if it is hard to find a job, having 1 will work in your advantage. You parents will most likely see you being mature and responsible instead of a slouch living off their money. Wich will help you win them over. And by doing so, you also have some job experience, wich always comes in handy, even in the army. Plus, eventhough you have 1 or 2 years off from your carreerpath, a bit of money to spend is always nice.

And because something is hard, you should not give up on it before you try it; thats quite ironicly, completely against the mindset of the army.

---------- Post added 2012-06-11 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
    Thanks to everyone who didn't have a go at me. does anyone have more info about this 'insight course'.

PS. I'm a girl
    If it is like the Dutch version, it is kinda like the basic training, yet without the heavy militairy work. So physical training, learning the ranks, and the whole militairy way of doing thing. Yet without the 'dangerous stuff' like weapon training and the likes.

PS, I did not ment it as going at you, more to give you a little more insight into what it takes from you. I kinda know the naive teens who think the army is a playground with guns, tanks and heroics, those kids see in games. Wich is nowhere near the truth, but is often the reason kids at your age wants to join the army. My cousin (age 14) is like you, yet he has an example in his dad. Who works in the army and has to tell his son that the gametype of army isn't real, even though my cousin has his dads example. And thats why I say what I say -> wait till you are 18 and look then wether you want it or not. And yes, this course can definitly help you make that choice.
    Last edited by mmocd26a239030; 2012-06-11 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    why would you have to sit around and claim job seekers for a year? why not work until you're 18? your parents will probably never change their opinions on joining the army, but when you're 18 you are old enough to decide for yourself.
    This.

Listen to your parents, you're a child and honestly just the fact you can only rage and rant and blame everything on your parents IMO says enough. You're not old enough to decide anything or to be in any army, or out of school for that matter though that last is debatable I suppose. You'll probably hate me all the more for saying this and I would have as well if you'd tell me this back when I was 16, but it's how it is. Really, re-evaluate your situation and decisions when you're older.

I had a friend, at 16, who was also 16, who wanted to be an army-guy. He decided to finish his education first though and when he was old enough (18 or 19 when he finished high school) he changed his mind. In fact his whole view on life changed in a very small window of time, both religious as well as political and as a result also of the military, I assume. Just to illustrate that really, you're a kid, listen to your parents. There's a reason you're not deemed an adult at the age of 16 or even 17.

Their just looking out for you.

What would you do if 1 year in you have a sudden change of heart? People are constantly changing.

I think they're just worried for you, as parents do. No need to get so upset about it.

Deleted
    'Their just looking out for you.

What would you do if 1 year in you have a sudden change of heart? People are constantly changing.'

I have considered that but you are required to do 1 month of basic training and then you are allowed to leave if it is not for you.

I would listen to your parents, I was army mad when I was 16. I fully intended to sign up. When I was 18 I had changed my mind and went to University instead. Wait until you are 18 and have matured a little more, if you still wish to serve at that point you would not need parental permission.

Deleted
    I understand the points made about maturity but say I don't like it - I thought I was suppposed to make mistakes in life. I can leave BT after one month if I can't cut it. Don't you think my parents should cut the apron strings now I've left school? Anyway everyone is ignoring the fact that they are refusing to educate themselves. They are determined not to change their mind for the sake of winning the argument. At least I tried to be open minded and consider their point of view but they won't do the same the same for me. In my opinion they are being way more immature.

PS i'm 17
    Last edited by mmoce44f13ab58; 2012-06-11 at 11:38 PM.

To an extent they are being immature but their parents, their always going to be doing something to bug and annoy you.

Im 18 turning 19 finished school last year and thought i would join the army over here in Australia but had a change of heart as i didn't want to leave and have 0 contact with my friends and family. I now find myself doing programming, Big change huh?

Plan on joining the police next year when they begin recruiting and training again tho.

I have to say you are going about it the right way by researching it and not just jumping straight into it.

I was under the impression that basic training was 3 months, not one. Could be my ignorance showing.

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your parents as being close-minded and intolerant. Yes, concern for our loved ones often manifests itself oddly, but it's also a mistake to overlook someone's genuine concern for your well-being. And yes, you will make mistakes in life ... but that doesn't mean you should. There are three ways to learn. The best is by reflection and contemplation. The second best is by observing the example of others. The hardest and most bitter is experience, making said mistakes, but also the kind that sinks in the deepest. Don't be so eager to learn about life by diving off the deep end. Some people wash out of the armed forces and end up cynical, jaded, and virulently anti-authority.