Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Just bear in mind, I saw your update where they told you they moved back the starting date by a week or so, this could also mean that you are second choice and they are waiting for the first choice to accept the offer or not, I have seen this happen while a friend was interviewing for the company I was working at the time. They had already picked another guy and were stalling my friend until the guy accepted, the first choice ended up not accepting and they hired my friend instead. They always told him after that, that he was the first choice even tho I did know it was a lie.

I have never had it happen to me what happened to you where they tell me "I did really well and that the interview was only a formality", I have had an offer given after the interview but had no hints to it during the interview.

Another point to note, in software development for instance, particularly game development, they usually mention on the recruitment process description that if they dont contact you within 2 weeks that you should assume you were unsuccessful.

people lie, deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's entirely possible the rep you were speaking to was just pandering to you. Some people are really bad like that. It's possible they were nervous about the call if they were doing that.

If you can't know, don't spend time guessing, move on, you'll find something great!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Welcome to the real world. HR is full of humans too and humans don't usually like delivering bad news.
    Welcome yourself. I've been through many interviews (nearly two dozen, academic and business), and I've aced all of them. I'm not some rube. This precise situation is NOT the norm.

I'm probably still going to get the job anyway. No one bothers reading my subsequent and very relevant posts in the thread.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 01:21 AM ----------

To all of the non-readers here. I posted an update that I got a response and their HR department was overflowing with work, so they are still in the process of doing the background check. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-06-14 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Give me a break. I've been through many interviews, and I've aced all of them. I'm not some rube. This precise situation is NOT the norm.

I'm probably still going to get the job anyway. No one bothers reading my subsequent and very relevant posts in the thread.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 01:21 AM ----------

To all of the non-readers here. I posted an update that I got a response and their HR department was overflowing with work, so they are still in the process of doing the background check. That's all there was to it.
    You didn't update your main post, and don't expect people on the internet to go through 4 pages of discussion. If a thread is longer than 2 pages I'll usually just reply to the OP.

But it's good that you're probably going to get the job after all. Seems like your earlier worries are much ado about nothing after all? Like I said, it can take up to a month for small companies to get back to prospective employees. It's happened to me before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    You didn't update your main post, and don't expect people on the internet to go through 4 pages of discussion. If a thread is longer than 2 pages I'll usually just reply to the OP.

But it's good that you're probably going to get the job after all. Seems like your earlier worries are much ado about nothing after all? Like I said, it can take up to a month for small companies to get back to prospective employees. It's happened to me before.
    If the first person to post after an update doesn't take the time to read the post immediately before theirs (it should be superfluous and automatic) then they probably shouldn't be using a forum.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    That I very much understand. The discrepancy is that they moved the time-table back for the person I would be replacing. That and their HR office was booked solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final update: I opened a very fancy looking letter in the mail from them yesterday. Opening it was difficult, because I knew they would have called if the position had gone to me. It turns out, the reason I didn't get the job was because I had my driver's license temporarily suspended last year over a mix up with an out-of-state traffic citation. This particular institution automatically declines applicants if anything shows on the background check, no matter how minor. Sort of icing on a bad week, but at least they wrote me. I'm pleased they were so formal about letting me know.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-06-23 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Final update: I opened a very fancy looking letter in the mail from them yesterday. Opening it was difficult, because I knew they would have called if the position had gone to me. It turns out, the reason I didn't get the job was because I had my driver's license temporarily suspended last year over a mix up with an out-of-state traffic citation. This particular institution automatically declines applicants if anything shows on the background check, no matter how minor. Sort of icing on a bad week, but at least they wrote me. I'm pleased they were so formal about letting me know.
    They can go eff themselves. Companies are so retarded and slow, that's why this country is going to shit. I can't wait to get my shit back together so I can start working freelance and not have to deal with HR departments and bureaucracy.

Gawd, I hate bureaucracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    They can go eff themselves. Companies are so retarded and slow, that's why this country is going to shit. I can't wait to get my shit back together so I can start working freelance and not have to deal with HR departments and bureaucracy.

Gawd, I hate bureaucracy.
    I second this notion. I applied for a job 3 weeks ago and was informed my resume was picked to the "second round". Had some high hopes after that since it was less than 24 hours after submitting it. E-mailed the HR rep twice in two weeks asking about the status of the position and when interviews would be expected to start the first e-mail. No reply to either of my e-mails. I called the company at the end of the 3rd week (last Friday) and find out interviews would start this week, which still gave me a glimmer of hope, then today I found out they interviewed someone on Friday and hired that person. Honestly though, I wish people that worked in HR would be more responsive to job seekers.