Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Given this hypothetical, how would you react?

Well, I suppose I'm looking for 2 answers to the following hypothetical. Before I ask the questions, I will give you the situation.

You are in your late 20s and driving down a suburban road (Typical neighborhood). You are distracted (Radio, Phone Call, cute girl, etc.) and feel a sudden jolt like you hit a huge pothole. Hoping you don't have a flat tire, you keep on driving away slowly. As you look in your rear-view window to see what you hit, you see a child (age 9-11ish) laying limp in the middle of the street.

I'm looking for 2 answers here:

1.) How would you react? Call the police? Try to help the kid? Look around to see if anyone else saw? Drive away quickly?

2.) Let's assume you drive away quickly and hope no one saw what happened. What sort of background would you need to have (criminal, psychological, etc.) that you would rather risk hit-and-run / vehicular homicide / police evasion than try to help the kid (Calling the cops, finding neighbors, etc.)? Be as descriptive and specific as possible. I'm trying to get some realistic feedback as to how others would react.

I'm working on a novel; and, as part of the storyboarding process, I'm trying to get a few ideas. Initially, I was only going to ask the 2nd question seeing as that's how I already see the story playing out and am simply trying to get some ideas as to the motivation behind him fleeing the scene. That being said, I'm willing to listen to people answer the 1st question as well to get a general sense of the psychology of the event.

Looking forward to reading responses ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of what happens you're probably going to jail. So if you want an interesting story, clearly hit and run is the only viable option.

Edit: The idea of jail no matter what is good enough reason to cause anyone to commit the hit and run, you could develop this as you see fit with the character's personality in the rest of the novel.

1) I would pull over and call 911 and see if the kid has a chance to live.

2) The child is probably bleeding, so I would use the blanket in my trunk to try to suppress bleeding and make sure they don't choke on their blood while waiting for the ambulance. I would explain on 911 that it was an accident, but accept the consequences of not paying attention while driving. Just as bad as drinking and driving and killing someone in an accident.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Please tell me more about that novel, I might look out for it once it's written!

Rather than rely on information from people just guessing what kind of person would run of a child and keep driving, why not do actual research about people indicted for vehicular homicide involving a minor and look at those cases?

1) I'd help the kid. than I'd probably kill myself, depending on the gravity of the kid's wounds.

2) I think avoiding jail is merely a reflex of the fact that jail is an aweful place on almost anywhere in this world. would you like to shower every day for the next years along with dangerous criminals? (insert Surprise Buttsecks meme here). because of that I believe anyone who isn't kind and/or brave enough to face the consequences would run away.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I'm not sure why it requires a specific sort of background to do option 2. Anyone could react like this in the heat of the moment, even if they regret it later, whether they're a criminal or not doesn't seem to make a difference. I've read news stories where people have been convinced (or convinced themselves) that they've hit an animal and only phoned the police a while after the accident (often after talking to friends / family). If they're sure it's a child, i believe that people with any background could be capable of leaving the child there. For a lot of people they might not immediately think of the legal consequences of a hit and run etc. they would just know they've run over a child and be scared to death; as someone said earlier: whatever happens, you're going to jail.

If you have illegal firearms/drugs/dead body in your car, then you probably would want to leave the scene.

I would honestly probably contact the police. I have a terrible conscience and can't ever let go of guilt once it attaches itself to me. Even if it meant the end of my career, jail time, etc.

It's always great to see people who are interested in writing, since that's one of my biggest hobbies. I would suggest for you to not ask what other people's reactions would be, but put yourself in the moment. Would you run away? Why would you do what you did? Could you see yourself, for whatever reason, doing something the complete opposite? Remember in fiction that actions don't have to be grounded in complete reality, especially when it comes to reacting to a situation like this, since literally ANYBODY is capable of fleeing the scene when a small child is involved. Your goal as an author is to create a character who the audience believes is capable of doing such a thing. Even if he isn't usually capable (for example is a good guy who always follows the law no matter what), I don't think your audience would see anything wrong with him doing something like this, especially if you put them in the emotional role of the character. You want to SHOW, not TELL. You can't simply say he did something and then this whole story premise starts, with scientific evidence to back you up. It's better to show them why he did what he did, get the audience emotionally involved, maybe they agree with his point of view, or maybe they despise him for his choices.

Anyways, sorry for the unsolicited writing advice, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

conjohnson6
    I'd call the 911 for sure.

What about a situation where the mere act of driving the car is a crime - like a parole violation or something and the violator has two strikes towards a three strikes law situation. That would create a scenario where he might want to help the kid (or at least not see them die) but also don't want to involve parents, neighbors that might be able to send her/him off to prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    wonder where the fuck the parents are.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    pull over, call the police, see what i can do for the child, and scream to see if anyone else is around to assist better than I. I could never just drive away, i once hit a squirrel and was so devastated i pulled over and cried.

10+ Year Old Account
    first make sure the kid isnt pranking you
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    I thought this would be a fun thread. What a depressing topic.

OT: I would stop the car, call an ambulance, and see if there was anything I could do to give the kid more time.
    I could never drive away. I would be completely consumed by guilt, I'd lose my mind.

Thinking about this makes me sad

1. I would hope I would call 911 and go see if the kids dead or alive, don't touch the little kid either in case he has some spine injury.

2. People who run from scenes of crimes either have other things they're hiding or are just scared of going to jail, and in the heat of the moment decide driving off is the best chance of not going there.

Deleted
    Your background could have been what ever. You could have been a criminal, you could have been a student, you could have been a priest. Everyone can panic, and flee such a place.

A guy from my school died a few years ago due to this. It was a priest that hit him with his car. He fleed. Said he panicked. Barely got any punishment. As a penalty of 8000 danish crowns and a temporarly take away of his driver licens. The boy was 16 years old at that time. The 79 year old priest did not go to prison.

So panicing can be something. Even though most people would feel heavy guilt after that.

Deleted
    I pull over and try to help. Also call the ambulance.

Pay more attention while driving don't hit kids in the street.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rukioish - wonder where the fuck the parents are.
    On a neighborhood street involving a 9-10 year old and you wonder where the parents are? Um, in the house? A child that age is more than able to handle themselves on a neighborhood street. Granted, the child was in the middle of the street with a car coming, but any child of any age can put themselves in that situation - hell, even adults could.
    1. I would absolutely stop and care for the child while getting help via 911
    2. It's been said, but yeah, anyone, regardless of mental health or criminal background could freak and flee the scene. It will really depend on the background you've already imagined for your character. Maybe they do have a criminal background and fear going/returning to prison. Maybe they just finished Med school and see their years of hard work spinning down the drain. Maybe they are just plain heartless. It's up to you Warwithin. Good luck!