Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Excess of the following;
    Preservatives
    Fats
    E-numbers
    Salt
    Spit

But yeah, basically excess of ANYTHING is bad for you. Fast-food just has excess of EVERYTHING, except the ability to fill you up and actually ..er.... Nutrate you? (Tired/drunk - can't think of the word, you know, give you nutrition)
    Those two are in pretty much any groceries you buy in the store, except for fresh vegetables/fruit.

Also, you'd have to buy meat at your local butcher every time you want meat if you don't want any funky stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    EDIT #2: Oh yea, just how bad is soda for you? I could drink a 12 pack a day....
    pretty bad. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink#Health_effects

fast food: high calories, low nutritional value. usually lots of sodium too. large servings as well.
    just look at the rising obesity rates.
    Last edited by bals; 2012-06-12 at 01:02 AM.

Deleted
    So, I know that "deep fried" (anything fried) is "bad" for you, but what exactly makes taco bell beef worse than beef I would cook at home? Yea, sure there are preservatives, but outside of that, what is it?

Same goes for hamburgs, hot dogs, tater tots, grilled cheese, etc? There's various places that make those things, are people saying that making those same things at home are just as bad?

I guess, after really thinking about it, almost anything can be considered "bad" for you to eat outside of basic salad and various foods cooked/baked without oil/seasoning, no?
    Lots of bad fats and low quality crap in it.
    If you think that cooking beef at home ain't better then going to Taco bell then you have no clue what good food is and it'll be very hard to make you understand anything regarding food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything is bad for you when not eaten in moderation.

Some people break out when they eat chocolate or grease, but that's to the individual to decide when enough is enough to prevent these things (weight gain not excluded).

Fast food isn't actually bad for you, and isn't bad once in awhile. It's when you eat nothing but it where it gets bad. Same goes if you decided to eat nothing but tofu for the rest of your life.

The need to have it stay safe to eat for a long time means there are many many added chemicals to it which over time makes the crap toxic to eat. It's a matter of how you consume fast food that is the issue, more then the content I think. We can't really shit on fast food when most of the crap people these days eats comes in bags and boxes ( mostly preserved with chems too) and made en mass.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Lots of bad fats and low quality crap in it.
    If you think that cooking beef at home ain't better then going to Taco bell then you have no clue what good food is and it'll be very hard to make you understand anything regarding food.
    Well I >know< that cooking beef at home and making tacos is better than getting Taco Bell in general, I'm just curious about HOW much better it is compared to going to Taco Bell.

I don't know, I guess I look at food as nothing more than something to eat to make you not feel hungry instead of something nutritional that your body needs to "function". It's funny saying that, because I make it sound like I'd be better off drinking protein shakes or something until I didn't feel hungry anymore.

I do agree the portion sizes are way to big in fast food but as a layman who never really contemplated how bad it really is, the way the "world" makes it sound is that almost everything is bad for you and I just said to myself "how much better is it if you made the same products at home compared to fast-food".

mostly fat. also most fast food chains(mcdonalds, kfc,etc) the meat you eat is chemically made to taste like whatever you are buying(mcdonalds for example can make a loaf of bread taste like meat)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Or "Supersize Me". That works too.
    Super-Size me a terrible documentary, it's borderline propaganda...

Really though, I'd like for some fitness/diet guru to answer me how bad "fresh" pizza (non-frozen, pizza shop)/home-made pizza is. If it's not THAT bad (portion:fat ratio) that is going to be my diet.

EDIT: Realistically though, outside of something like salad only, is there anything/type of "diet" that will a.) lose weight and/or b.) not gain weight WITHOUT exercising?

EDIT #2: Oh yea, just how bad is soda for you? I could drink a 12 pack a day....
    As far as pizza goes it depends. You can make pizza with homemade whole grain crust, many types of fresh vegetable toppings and not much cheese and that might be ok, but regular old pepperoni/cheese/white crust = bad for you.

If your goal is weight lose then you need to remember that the largest consideration is caloric intake/caloric usage. any diet where the amount of calories you're consuming is equal to the amount of calories your body is using daily will result in no weight gain. It's just nearly impossible to do this on fast food and pizza because they contain so many calories that you'd only be able to eat very little and always be hungry.

You keep bringing up salads, but salads can be not so good for you too. if your salad is iceberg lettuce covered with meat, croutons, cheese then dressing then it can be right up there with pizza and hamburgers.

Soda is VERY bad for you. See my previous pots.
    Let Reason Prevail

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, fast food has outrageous amounts of 1) sodium, and 2) saturated/trans fats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    I'd recommend watching "Supersize Me", then "Fat Head" right after.

Gives you a "both sides of the fence" kinda deal.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    The need to have it stay safe to eat for a long time means there are many many added chemicals to it which over time makes the crap toxic to eat. It's a matter of how you consume fast food that is the issue, more then the content I think. We can't really shit on fast food when most of the crap people these days eats comes in bags and boxes ( mostly preserved with chems too) and made en mass.
    See, that's kinda what makes me curious as to just how much "better" it is to make things at home (not that I want to eat nothing but fast-food), but for example, a typical meal for me to make would be pork chops, (boxed) scalloped potatoes, canned corn. The pork chops sometimes are fried in vegetable oil, sometimes just cooked on a griddle with no oil, etc.

Outside of potatoes that we sometimes actually peel, and the canned vegetables almost any side we eat is from a box. Whether it's potatoes (instant mashed/scalloped), stuffing (stove-top), etc.

It just got me thinking just how "healthy" is it compared to fast-food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Going to agree here. I read the book and saw the movie (with an open mind). It seemed really odd to me that people wouldn't expect this person to gain this much weight only eating fast food.

On top of which, the details about the slaughterhouses and such (while important) don't really recognize when the business took initiative to make it right. The deliberate line in the sand was a bit much for me and wasn't as objective as it was subjective to one specific point of view (and I prefer objectivity so that I can draw my own conclusions).

At when you consider all the "nutritious" content in your fast food burger...

- tomatoes
    - lettuce
    - pickles(?)
    - mushrooms

And so on, you'd think "hey...so what is this burger junk food, then?". It's because all that oil used to cook the patty, along with what the patty is actually comprised of...doesn't equalize out the health benefits of the veggies in the burger.

Also consider the buns too. If they are white buns, those contain a great deal of sugar, flour, and other things which are horrible for you. Now if you ordered multi-grain buns then sure that's a different story, but as a whole the burger itself is still bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    I'd recommend watching "Supersize Me", then "Fat Head" right after.

Gives you a "both sides of the fence" kinda deal.
    I've never watched Fat Head, but all Super-size me was "Eating hamburgers everyday is bad for you".

They make it seem like the fast food was rat poison or something, and constantly show graphic anti-mcdonald art that does nothing to add to the 'is fast food bad for you' debate, it's just there to make people go "oh gross!!!1 DIS PIC PROVES MCDONDOLDS IS BAD!!". Then the whole thing with his liver 'beginning to show signs of shutting down'. No shit organs would begin failing, he was only eating fast food. The same thing would happen if all he ate was vegetables and nothing else.

All in all it was bad, poorly put together and- like I said, basically propaganda.

It's because all that oil used to cook the patty
    No one anywhere has ever used oil to cook hamburger.

Boxed food is nearly as bad as fast food. Here! http://www.food.com/recipe/scalloped-potatoes-85629
    Let Reason Prevail

everything is fine in moderation and exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarion View Post
    As far as pizza goes it depends. You can make pizza with homemade whole grain crust, many types of fresh vegetable toppings and not much cheese and that might be ok, but regular old pepperoni/cheese/white crust = bad for you.

If your goal is weight lose then you need to remember that the largest consideration is caloric intake/caloric usage. any diet where the amount of calories you're consuming is equal to the amount of calories your body is using daily will result in no weight gain. It's just nearly impossible to do this on fast food and pizza because they contain so many calories that you'd only be able to eat very little and always be hungry.

You keep bringing up salads, but salads can be not so good for you too. if your salad is iceberg lettuce covered with meat, croutons, cheese then dressing then it can be right up there with pizza and hamburgers.

Soda is VERY bad for you. See my previous pots.
    When I say "salad", I literally mean just lettuce/cucumbers/tomatoes. I know dressing (even "fat-free"), croutons, cheese, meat, etc makes a "good" salad, "bad".

I suppose ultimately what it all comes down to, to me is that what alot of the "big" fitness/diet gurus make it seem like you have to eat bland food and water to eat "healthy".

I'm not saying I want to lose weight, nor do I want to gain it, but with the way the world talks about food it really does seem like bland food/water is the "healthy" way to eat and pizza, soda, i.e. good tasting stuff, is bad. Yea, I know, the reason is tastes "good" is because it's loaded with bad stuff.

If im not mistaken, the reason why fast food is bad is sugar. Fast food has lots of it and sugar is an addiction(so making you eat more then your body needs).

What makes food "bad" for you is dependant on various factors such as ;

The amount of carbs in any given meal
    The amount of Fat in any given meal
    The amount of protein in any given meal
    The amount of fiber in any given meal
    The size of the meal
    The quality/type of various calories in meal(s) (Simple carbs vs complex carbs, Mono vs sat fat for example)
    Time of day meal eaten
    Lifestyle of consumer (sedentary, active, highly active)
    Environment (Stress primarily)

I highly recommend reading Chris Aceto's books.