Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Maybe people should stop expecting doctors to always know everything that's going on inside their bodies. We lack the technology to expect our doctors to have that much knowledge about us. This wasn't a case where the doctor botched a procedure or willfully mislead his patient. The doctor simply missed something. Sorry people, it happens. I don't care whether the guy was having a 3 way or fighting crime or was a guest on the price is right when he got excited and had a heart attack. The doctor didn't cause his heart attack. This is simply another case of punishing society for something nature caused.

from the article i read that said cop had a history of ignoring his doctor instructions, so, even if the medic gave orders of refraining from too much physical stress.... well.
    but we don't know all the evidences brought to court and their reasoning, we know only the decisions taken and i believe is kinda pointless taking sides, bashing one of them for greed/incompetence/wasting money/whatever

What a wonderful woooooooooorld!!!!!

William Martinez and a friend were having three-way sex with a woman who was not his wife

When did that become cheating? Its a 3 way that included his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    William Martinez and a friend were having three-way sex with a woman who was not his wife

When did that become cheating? Its a 3 way that included his wife.
    ???

A friend = not his wife
    A woman not his wife = not his wife

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    ???

A friend = not his wife
    A woman not his wife = not his wife
    He was having sex with his wife AND a friend. The wife was consenting.

That or Im reading it horribly wrong

sentence is sort of confusing. William martinez is 1. A "friend" is 2, and a women not his wife is 3. That's the three way. Now room for a wife in there.

Defense attorney: "Your honor, SERIOUSLY?"

10+ Year Old Account

Sigmund Freud would like to have a word with you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    sentence is sort of confusing. William martinez is 1. A "friend" is 2, and a women not his wife is 3. That's the three way. Now room for a wife in there.
    I guess, wording is just really weird

Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    Sigmund Freud would like to have a word with you sir.
    I suppose I could work my mother in somehow

I came in here expecting pictures.

I leave disappointed.

In humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess, wording is just really weird

I suppose I could work my mother in somehow
    Freud did much more for psychoanalysis than introduce "I want to bone my mother". I was implying that you have read what you wanted to read because that was your subconscious manifestation of a desire to have a three way with your wife, assuming you are married. This is referred to as freudian slip. I don't suppose it's very funny if I explain it. But for science! I had to.

One could argue that by pursuing this explanation I subconsciously attribute my own desires unto others but then again I'm 23 and not married so maybe I'm just bored.
    Last edited by Linaver; 2012-06-13 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    And people wonder why their health insurance is so expensive. Lawsuits with no motive beyond money grubbing are a massive reason why there is so much inflation in the health care system overall.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 02:18 AM ----------

I highly doubt that the sentence will stand for long.. not going by the information presented. Doctors cannot catch everything, its literally impossible.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 02:20 AM ----------

If the doctor can be considered negligent for this, than I consider it completely ethical and reasonable for every doctor to prescribe as many random tests as they want. If the patient has extra money, why not check their bone marrow? If they don't, they might be sued for negligence for some obscure disease with no presentation, and they have the money to support it after all. Maybe every single person should undergo a few thousand dollars worth of tests every single month, just to be safe. What's your money and time compared to the potential for being sick?
    This is a common misconception by people who don't work in the personal injury legal industry.

Doctors are among the hardest people to sue, both from a social and legal stand point.

The truth it is prohibitively expensive to sue Doctors, even when negligence and liability are clear. Texas alone requires plaintiffs to hire and pay for expert witnesses before they even file suit. I can't tell you precisely why healthcare is so expensive, but I can tell you it's very unlikely that it has anything to do with lawsuits. I suspect the cost of healthcare has more to do with how health insurance company's shifting their costs than any other single factor, but don't quote me on that.

And don't get outraged quite yet. You can bet that this is going up on appeal with a 3 million dollar verdict.
    Last edited by Drakain; 2012-06-13 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickletas View Post
    Doctors are, shockingly enough, human beings and as such are not perfect. They do miss things and make mistakes, the same as you or I. Unfortunately in their line of work the consequences can be life threatening or fatal, so no pressure.
    I'll have to remember this excuse if ever I run over someone. Hey no biggie guys I'm human and I make mistakes. My bad everyone. I'm going home now; have a nice life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    This is a common misconception by people who don't work in the personal injury legal industry.

Doctors are among the hardest people to sue, both from a social and legal stand point.

The truth it is prohibitively expensive to sue Doctors, even when negligence and liability are clear. Texas alone requires plaintiffs to hire and pay for expert witnesses before they even file suit. I can't tell you precisely why healthcare is so expensive, but I can tell you it's very unlikely that it has anything to do with lawsuits. I suspect the cost of healthcare has more to do with how health insurance company's shifting their costs than any other single factor, but don't quote me on that.

And don't get outraged quite yet. You can bet that this is going up on appeal with a 3 million dollar verdict.
    Good to know that you read my post to its fullest... I did express my doubts that the sentence would hold. Also, it has a great deal to do with lawsuits. Malpractice insurance and such drastically inflates the expenditures of the health care system, thus requiring more money to be brought in from patients. I never once said that doctors were easily sued in terms of the charge being applied, just that they are a common target for frivolous lawsuits. But ultimately the superb defense that they have is paid for by the same pool of people who sue them.

As for health insurance costs, the largest bulk of it is probably based on the market of products such as medicines and machinery, and on the training and incentive for doctors and other HCPs, with the costs of these inflating medical services to the point where the health insurance market had to keep prices high in order to spread risk properly. Its not like house or car insurance.... pretty much everyone is going to need it at some point.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-06-13 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Good to know that you read my post to its fullest... I did express my doubts that the sentence would hold. Also, it has a great deal to do with lawsuits. Malpractice insurance and such drastically inflates the expenditures of the health care system, thus requiring more money to be brought in from patients. I never once said that doctors were easily sued in terms of the charge being applied, just that they are a common target for frivolous lawsuits. But ultimately the superb defense that they have is paid for by the same pool of people who sue them.

As for health insurance costs, the largest bulk of it is probably based on the market of products such as medicines and machinery, and on the training and incentive for doctors and other HCPs, with the costs of these inflating medical services to the point where the health insurance market had to keep prices high in order to spread risk properly. Its not like house or car insurance.... pretty much everyone is going to need it at some point.
    Insurance companies do not make their profit from the fees their customers pay them. They invest those fees in stocks and that's really how they generate their profits. That's one reason why the costs has hiked so much. They're shifting the cost of their speculative investments in a truly shitty economy to their customers. (All insurance companies do this and, frankly, I'm shocked that people don't kick and scream more about it.)

Medical Malpractice suits do not track the rise in Medical Mal Coverage rates. It's not even close. In some states they're now negatively correlated. In the 80s, and even the early 90s, your argument would probably hold true. However, in post-tort reform America it's not. Med Mal Insurance costs more because those insurance companies can get away with charging more. Insurance is poorly regulated in this country, and part of the problems we're having with Healthcare is directly related to that fact.

Anyway, I don't know why the court made that decision. From my experience you need fairly stellar facts to justify a verdict like that, so there just have to be facts that report isn't including. Whatever the case is, don't blame law suits for the cost of insurance. Blame shitty doctors that commit malpractice or shitty insurance companies that steal from Peter to pay Paul.
    Last edited by Drakain; 2012-06-13 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not the doctors fault.

A Dr can tell you, dont have a 3 way, but if you still do it its not his fault.

Clearly this Dr did tell him he had a heart condition and not to engage in stressful activity.

What is going on here is some cop family strong arming an innocent Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    I'll have to remember this excuse if ever I run over someone. Hey no biggie guys I'm human and I make mistakes. My bad everyone. I'm going home now; have a nice life.
    Also shocking, but the law does in fact recognize that accidents happen. It's certainly not criminal. Sometimes there is some civil action, but people die all the time and people aren't locked up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    This is not the doctors fault.

A Dr can tell you, dont have a 3 way, but if you still do it its not his fault.

Clearly this Dr did tell him he had a heart condition and not to engage in stressful activity.

What is going on here is some cop family strong arming an innocent Dr.
    Did he? I didn't see that in the article. All I saw was that the Plaintiff alleged Defendant didn't properly diagnose him. That means anything from he diagnosed him incorrectly to he didn't diagnose him for a heart condition, at all.

Also, how was a cop's family suppose to strong arm the jury into deciding the doctor was 60% responsible for the injury? Why cant the explanation be that the Doctor had a really bad attorney, or maybe that the Doctor made a mistake that no other competent Doctor would ever make? The latter is basically what you have to do to prevail in a med mal case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Insurance companies do not make their profit from the fees their customers pay them. They invest those fees in stocks and that's really how they generate their profits. That's one reason why the costs has hiked so much. They're shifting the cost of their speculative investments in a truly shitty economy to their customers. (All insurance companies do this and, frankly, I'm shocked that people don't kick and scream more about it.)
    That may not be their primary source of income.. but there is a connection. Every person needs health insurance, so the risk is significantly higher than other insurance sources. You have more instances where you're required to pay money back to your customers, and as a result you need to have more money coming in or you won't even be able to come even. Surgeries and medications are extremely expensive in the US, last I saw, and the increasing number of pharmaceutical medications used means that what an insurance company pays out is higher. The high prices are a stabilizing factor more than profit base. I personally look at most of the blame being on the pharmaceutical manufacturers, who have the absolute highest profit growth in the health care system.

Medical Malpractice suits do not track the rise in Medical Mal Coverage rates. It's not even close. In some states they're now negatively correlated. In the 80s, and even the early 90s, your argument would probably hold true. However, in post-tort reform America it's not. Med Mal Insurance costs more because those insurance companies can get away with charging more. Insurance is poorly regulated in this country, and part of the problems we're having with Healthcare is directly related to that fact.
    Then perhaps my information is outdated.. coming from an outside source, there is a good chance that my knowledge no longer applies. But I am confused about what you're referring to... are you referring to comparing number of medical malpractice lawsuits over time to price of malpractice coverage over time? Please forgive me if I'm interpreting your statement wrong, I do sometimes get confused with English.. but wouldn't it make sense that there would be a correlation where the higher insurance is, the lower the incidence of being sued is? The insurance is meant to protect the doctors, after all.. so more money taken means more money used to protect doctors.

Anyway, I don't know why the court made that decision. From my experience you need fairly stellar facts to justify a verdict like that, so there just have to be facts that report isn't including. Whatever the case is, don't blame law suits for the cost of insurance. Blame shitty doctors that commit malpractice or shitty insurance companies that steal from Peter to pay Paul.
    The entire purpose of an insurance company is to spread risk... if Paul was healthy 5 months later but Peter had a prescription to be filled Paul would be one of those helping to pay for it. As for the verdict, the lower the court the verdict is in, the more subject it is to personal bias. The arbitrary decision where they decided the doctor had 60% of the blame for his death seems a little off in and of itself.