1. #1

    Ad's on front page tracking my history?

    I was just looking at some propane smokers at Basspro online. Came here and noticed the top banner ad was bass pro, cycling through the smokers and highlighting what I was looking at.

    Its kind of creepy.

    Is there a way to stop that?

  2. #2
    Most sites ads show adds based on your history of sites you visit. It will happen on almost any site. To stop it clear all your history(though thats a waste of time because if you search or go to a site like that again shit will pop up like that again).


  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire Rafax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Braga, Portugal
    Posts
    444
    Yea there is a simple way, get rid of the adds completely, get adblock or adblockplus for your browser.

  4. #4
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    12,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Most sites ads show adds based on your history of sites you visit. It will happen on almost any site. To stop it clear all your history(though thats a waste of time because if you search or go to a site like that again shit will pop up like that again).
    Indeed. They call them "Tracking Cookies" and they're placed on your system by advertisers to present "relevent" adverts. Another such method is by them logging your IP (which is a standard practice for ANY networked product [web browser or otherwise]) and then retrieving an advert based on things you were looking at. The second method can't be stopped unless you outright disable scripts and images associated with the advertisers (as both will count towards "hits" for your IP thus still giving them enough details to present relevent adverts).
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | NEW SITE: IOCube| Node.js Monkey | #Error418MasterRace
    Knows: Node.js, JS, JQuery, HTML, CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL, Ruby

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  5. #5
    ^^^ smart guy. Says it better than me


  6. #6
    I always knew about the IP thing but the tracking cookies showing ads in another site, that blew my mind.

    Well, knowledge is power.

  7. #7
    People Adblock plus...get it. It's out for both Chrome and Firefox and it takes less than 20 secs to install. (including going to the addon page)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    People Adblock plus...get it. It's out for both Chrome and Firefox and it takes less than 20 secs to install. (including going to the addon page)
    I just got regular adblock from chrome. Will see how that goes.

  9. #9
    High Overlord kerfanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    129
    Kind of off-topic, but since you guys are answering adblock questions: Will it block those annoying ads that play music after you've already been on the page for like 5 minutes? One time I was reading an article and someone linked me something over messenger and I switched to reading that and the other page I was on starting playing some kind of loud commercial that scared the crap out of me. Can it make that go away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankennoob View Post
    How dare they include fantastic and mysterious wonders in my fantasy game? All the graphics and story just get in the way of my enjoying optimizing the spreadsheet that defines my character.
    [G] [Ravenwake]: I been loot mastered by kerf for so long, I dont know any other way? is it abuse? is it love? who can tell
    Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 am // Symara: I'll tell them Chuck Norris wears Kerfanna Pyjamas.

  10. #10
    adblock+ & noscript. nuff said.

  11. #11
    Moderator d3v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,858
    3 steps to a lovely MMO Champ browsing experience:

    1) Use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox
    2) Get Adblock for Chrome (has double the amount of users as Adblock Plus Beta for Chrome) or Adblock Plus for Firefox
    3) Optional: Get Stylish extension (for Chrome) or addon (for Firefox) and install the 'mmo-champion.com - ad removal + corners + MMO-guy' style. Makes MMO Champ that little more pretty and you get MMO Guy back! (http://userstyles.org/styles/32693/m...orners-mmo-guy, looks sexy!)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kerfanna View Post
    Kind of off-topic, but since you guys are answering adblock questions: Will it block those annoying ads that play music after you've already been on the page for like 5 minutes? One time I was reading an article and someone linked me something over messenger and I switched to reading that and the other page I was on starting playing some kind of loud commercial that scared the crap out of me. Can it make that go away?
    99.9% of the time.
    can't think of the last time I heard an audio ad

  13. #13
    High Overlord kerfanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    99.9% of the time.
    can't think of the last time I heard an audio ad
    I will install it right away then, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankennoob View Post
    How dare they include fantastic and mysterious wonders in my fantasy game? All the graphics and story just get in the way of my enjoying optimizing the spreadsheet that defines my character.
    [G] [Ravenwake]: I been loot mastered by kerf for so long, I dont know any other way? is it abuse? is it love? who can tell
    Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 am // Symara: I'll tell them Chuck Norris wears Kerfanna Pyjamas.

  14. #14
    Of course, installing adblock removes the revenue mmo champion would be getting from you....


    Running a site isn't free people. Why not suck it up and let the ads show you cutlery sets to go with the dining plates you just bought? Why does it matter that they know what you're looking at?

  15. #15
    Moderator d3v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    Of course, installing adblock removes the revenue mmo champion would be getting from you....


    Running a site isn't free people. Why not suck it up and let the ads show you cutlery sets to go with the dining plates you just bought? Why does it matter that they know what you're looking at?
    I've already stated in the past, if MMO Champion was to introduce a premium service (like most curse sites have, and MMO Champ is owned by Curse), I'd be more than willing to subscribe to help pay for the upkeep of MMO Champion and other lovely sites Curse run (I'm already Curse Premium).

    However I absolutely refuse to ruin my browsing experience with adverts all over the page, on this site or any.

    Same reason I prefer the BBC to other TV broadcasting channels, for example.
    Last edited by d3v; 2012-06-12 at 02:52 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •