Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why are there transmog restrictions?

TL;WR: Why are transmogrification limited. The only reason I know is that they are silly.

Whats wrong with transmogrifying a legendary? I never understood this. Or why you can't be bare chested for that matter. Why cant I have a bare chested wolf man? I remember a blue post saying it would seem rather silly if everyone in raid had thunderfury. Silly? You know your game is warcraft right? The cartoon one? It should not be serious. If I want to beat deathwing upside the head with a shovel and fish why not? They are in the game because at some point someone thought they were good jokes. And there are! Why not let players tell them again?

I tried rift again. By level 15 they game me a shovel to turn my staff into. It had a funny name too. I also bought an old style tux and went around as a Vegas magician on my mage. And that game is serious. No cartoons or happy DS endings. Now before you ask I am not currently playing any MMO. Sorry I know people are going to accuse me of that so I want it in the open.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone could explain too me why they even needed restrictions.

Because they want legendaries to 'stay legendary'.
    I think it's BS. After all if I worked my butt off to get the damn item, I should be able to wear it all the damn time.
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

I wish I could change my dragonwrath into something that appeals to my eyes =/
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

There are some silly items fish daggers for instance side the bear chested armor would really work on females of heard stories of "interesting" modifications u can make to the game files(think any elderscrolls game). But i do not like some restrics mainhand offhand ,ability to change weapon types and they want legendaries to be truly special not something u can get a hold of on an alt.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know myself, It's silly restrictions personally and quite annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    as I understand it, you cannot use whites or greys as models. If this is still true, it makes no sense to me. 'controlling/limiting people's fun/creativity' is a current theme in a lot of what blizzard does, though.

Cause Blizzard knows the ridiculous appearances people would come up with if some of those more silly items were available to transmog. Already lame enough with all the male players playing half naked female toons instead of trying to actually look cool, which was the purpose of transmog to begin with. As for Legendaries, I have no idea.

The only restrictions I don't really understand are the ones for main-hand/one-hand/off-hand weapons. Does it really make that big of a difference? Does it have something to do with the way the models work in a specific slot? It seems to be a fairly silly restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    as I understand it, you cannot use whites or greys as models. If this is still true, it makes no sense to me. 'controlling/limiting people's fun/creativity' is a current theme in a lot of what blizzard does, though.
    That is basically what I've noticed over time.

Because game addicts can't control themselves, shared lockouts so they don't have to, and so YOU don't have a choice!

Tethering mobs, especially elites, so people can't kite them and make the game more fun and dynamic ... but, all the people I know loved it when people kite world bosses/dragons/elites to towns. It adds spice and variety, something they don't understand makes a game fun ... maybe because the vocal whiners about the things like the wrath event, the disease spreading from dungeons, etc.

When people explore past 'boundaries' they set, they threaten ban-hammer. Those people are having fun and enjoying it. Not some beginning player that will be wtf about falling through the world or seeing incomplete things.

I think they've started taking themselves and the game way too serious at some point in the past ... just like some of the raiders take themselves too seriously and think a game of millions should be designed for the thousands exclusively. Restriction isn't fun, games should give relative freedom, we have enough rules and regulations irl.

honestly, i see no issue with someone beating the hell out of dw with two fish and 'naked' (in underwear) ... I'd rather see that, than see the autoattack bots in lfr, the pathing bots in bgs, etc. in fact, why does it matter, we don't ever kill the bosses anyway, thrall kills dw with the dragon soul, we just soften him up.

I think they need to take a deep breath and think about freedom, fun, dynamic events, etc. but whatever, I'll be on other games when my time runs out, so if the people still playing in mists enjoy it, then good for both the company and the player

well some restrictions are absolutely needed, we are already flooded by bitch-dressed Nelf-Belf-Draenei-Human females

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    well some restrictions are absolutely needed, we are already flooded by bitch-dressed Nelf-Belf-Draenei-Human females
    This is my point, why are we afraid of this? People making choices? There is a batman and robin gear set out there. Non-transmogable of course. I want to raid with my buddy and possible joke RP as this. Holy rusted dragons batman, its deathwing! Sure some people love to skimpify their characteds. But you know what? There are already moogable gear sets that cover less flesh then the underwear that comes on your toon. So this means we are at maximum "bitch-dressed" already. Will letting us have the rest of the gear options really break things? Let us have our thunderfury batman, our lightsabre lukes, and dragonwrath gandalfs. It's a silly game, or at least it was. I'm hoping it comes back, because if it does I will too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdisappoint View Post
    I think they've started taking themselves and the game way too serious at some point in the past ... just like some of the raiders take themselves too seriously and think a game of millions should be designed for the thousands exclusively. Restriction isn't fun, games should give relative freedom, we have enough rules and regulations irl.
    I think a very possible answer is that the people handling these types of issues today are not the people who handled them 4 years ago, and furthermore, today, these people don't think it is fun to do any or most of the things you and I have listed. One wonders if these people even enjoy playing wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two words: Special Snowflakes.

For the same reason they surprised us with the level 60 PvP gear requiring the title, for the same reason T3 isn't available, for the same reason they made the dungeon sets stupid to get through the DMV. Because so many people cried about being special with what they had, and they don't want anyone else to have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest thing about these restrictions that's bad-bad-bad, is if you're a healer and Blizzard's insistence that healers use only maces. I did that Battered Hilt questline in WotLK and have the healing sword and would like to use it again...because Blizzard's insistence that healers use only maces there's nothing for it TO transmorg too.

One weapon type gets older than dirt to wear all the time. Other healers have options of daggers and staffs. DPS swords/axes/polearms. Healers are stuck with...maces. -_-
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

For the same reason they surprised us with the level 60 PvP gear requiring the title, for the same reason T3 isn't available, for the same reason they made the dungeon sets stupid to get through the DMV. Because so many people cried about being special with what they had, and they don't want anyone else to have it.
    Yeah I don't get the snowflakes conundrum. They seem to go back and forth with this to me. Maintaining some players specialness while takeing other players specialness. The 99% argument in my videogames? Why? My opinion on SS is that I think Im ok if something is rare, but only if it continues to be achievable. And if it is achievable make it moogable so it can continue to be useful!

I'd be willing to bet that we'll eventually see some of the rules relaxed. They said themselves that they wanted to introduce it with a lot of restrictions, and evaluate if/when some of them should be eased as opposed to release it with no limits and have to impose restrictions after the fact, which would feel like having it nerfed,

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    The only restrictions I don't really understand are the ones for main-hand/one-hand/off-hand weapons. Does it really make that big of a difference? Does it have something to do with the way the models work in a specific slot? It seems to be a fairly silly restriction.
    I really hate these restriction, but the problem was that the model was for X hand, and it would look glitched if you putted in the other hand, but in MOP the fist weapon will turn... in others words, it doens't matter in with hands you put it it will not glith, and with these i hope Blizzard remove the main-hand/off-hand/one-hand restriction

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

I'm still bitter about that level 60 gearset thing.

Honestly, how many vanilla players (which frankly, is like a 10th of the playerbase to begin with,) still main their main from vanilla.

Like, right there you've shunned the horde paladins/alliance shaman (who actually did get a pvp set, believe it or not) who no longer get to use those weapons. You've axed anyone who rolled your new race. you've axed anyone who deleted their vanilla mains. you've axed anyone who didn't play vanilla. (nevermind subject their life to 12 hour days of battlegrounds to push HWL.)

It's akin to saying "Oh you didn't raid black temple before WLK, so you can't use tier 6."

I'm hoping that with account wide achievements (which would bring over some legacy titles and feats of strength like that) they'll get smart and lift this restriction.

I can somewhat understand them discounting white items. I truely wanted to gear out my warlock's mogging set into that brewfest costume. (with the awesome hat!)

Solid uniques, Like C.Ashbringer, also sort-of-make-sense. Corrupted Ashbringer is practically legendary, but by that logic, Gorehowl (which warriors can titan's grip.) and many other "named" weapons probably shouldn't be moggable either.

I'm also against the "Ranged weapons can be mogged into different ranged weapons (gun = bow = crossbow) but not 1h, 2h or mainhand weapons can't be mogged into a different weapon of the same size."

I get that they don't want things like a caster axe to be rolled need by a priest, mogged into a mace and equipped. But honestly, they could've mixed it up so that you could atleast reskin your mace to appear as a sword (even if it was still called a mace on the paper doll) as long as you could equip both swords and maces. if nothing else it's more OP for hunters who can switch their gun into a bow and benefit from the troll racial or bow into a gun to get the dwarf racial.

Why can't my orc warrior mog his two swords into axes or fist weapons (shit, what happened with str fists and str polearms anyway.) Why can't I mog my 2h mace into a 2h sword? is it really game breaking? It isn't like we have to deal with mace-spec/axe-spec/sword-spec anymore.

Aha I'm on rant mode.</rant>

Good night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    I wish I could change my dragonwrath into something that appeals to my eyes =/
    also these... if Blizzard don't want player to transmog X item to Y legendary, let us trasmog Y legendary into X item, cause people are trapped with the look of the legendary they have now and they won't change it until a really good weapon comes out, and they will keep these weapon for a long time :S, like the people with Dragonwrath or the people with the daggers (these may happen again in MOP when Blizzard release a new legendary)

What i'm hoping for is that 2-hander types will at some time be unrestricted, so swords to maces or axes, maybe even transmog to polearms (Some lovely polearms out there, i sorely miss my "Halberd of smiting" T_T ), sure "Titan's grip" will look dumb with two polearms, but that's a risk you take when you transmog your weapons to something that looks silly with your spec, no reason to restrict every plate spec besides TG-fury for it...