Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    You may want to study the case of SWTOR, which suffered from this exact issue, except that it actually had some proper old school end game on top of levelling process. You may note how that ended up for that particular game, with people leaving it en masse even with free month available before game was even half a year old, simply because there's nothing to do after you're done with what game has to offer.

There are quite a few people who will play casual and not care, just like you, but there is also a very large pool of players who will simply leave the game quietly and never come back. And that is a very real problem for retention, as these tend to be the people who build the actual communities in the game. As has been pointed out before, GW2 appears to be specifically aiming to cater to the casual croud leaving only PvP elements and no end game PvE for more hardcore types who will blow through the PvE available at release in days/weeks.
    I'm not a casual player at all, I love to enjoy the leveling process, but it's faaaaaaar from being a casual player, sir.
    I dont think the speedlevel maniacs will be able to manage high dificulty dungeons that easily either, sure they can go WvW and start kicking ass but more than that? nah.

Some of those who spent all weekend in WvW and were on one of the servers that captured everything (Sea of Sorrows was probably the best because the other worlds captured it all back when the Oceanic players went to bed) were apparently getting close to level 80. Capturing a keep was giving huge amounts of XP compared to PvE dynamic events.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I'm not a casual player at all, I love to enjoy the leveling process, but it's faaaaaaar from being a casual player, sir.
    I dont think the speedlevel maniacs will be able to manage high dificulty dungeons that easily either, sure they can go WvW and start kicking ass but more than that? nah.
    Worth noting that this was probably true around the time of WoW's release. However right now, we have many groups dedicated to speed run beating games after release. SWTOR hardest encounters were bugged to hell at release and they were still all beaten within two weeks of release by several groups, and most of the more active players had beaten them within first month or two.

It's not that the games changed, it's that WoW "trained" a new way of playing games due to its longevity. And these people are prime customers, very dedicated and willing to spend a small fortune in both time and money on your game if it interests them.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    So you both have no issues with me being 80lvl on the first day? I was pushing 4-5 lvls per hour ALONE, so.. with a small help of my friends.... It's just feels weird, I dunno. I know in GW2 rushing to top level is not that important.. but damn.. it's just happening too fast .

Neither me nor none of my guildies run out of content to do, I was lvl 15 before I was able to do half of the first zone. I think people just don't know how to approach GW2, I've seen them doing an event and running off before second phase starts (ironically, there is topic where guy is asking if multi-phase events even exist ROFL). No one is gathering anything (LOADS of xp), people just run from heart to heart and that's it. If by chance they miss a scout who would lead them to next heart, they are not even bother to look around the map to check if there are uncovered areas and try to go to next zone - then crying they have nothing to do :/.

When I was done with the first zone (100%), I was 19lvl. The materials I've gathered were enough to get me over 2 lvls through crafting. Thing is, exploring the whole map was NOT a waste of time, it is actually VERY efficient way to get XP.

All I'm saying is that when people will get their heads around GW2, they will level insanely fast.. and I'm not sure that Anet wants to have most of the population of players at 80lvl two days after launch :/.
    It sounds like you've figured out how to level fast by combining things in certain areas and starting off with gathering and crafting which a lot of players probably didn't do. However, let's make it a bet that you won't be level 80 on the first day. You've not played levels 40 to 80 yet. How about a $100 wager on it? ;-) We're talking about the 3 days before launch right? You can create three level 80s before the game launches in the three days before launch?

There's also going to be the rush for everyone to login on the 3 days before launch which is going to be nuts and I'd be very surprised if everyone is able to login the moment the servers are available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Worth noting that this was probably true around the time of WoW's release. However right now, we have many groups dedicated to speed run beating games after release. SWTOR hardest encounters were bugged to hell at release and they were still all beaten within two weeks of release by several groups, and most of the more active players had beaten them within first month or two.

It's not that the games changed, it's that WoW "trained" a new way of playing games due to its longevity. And these people are prime customers, very dedicated and willing to spend a small fortune in both time and money on your game if it interests them.

Lets hope the 30 minigames like brawl fight and the hidden-jumping puzzles style treasures , will give an excellent time for ppl to chill out for 1 hour per day , playing with some WoW guild members , outside of raid scedules

Or the 2k massive siege

Or there some cases , of ppl that didnt like pvp , but they understand that mobs and Real PvPers , have the same skills and intellect
    Most ppl will found out soon enought , while doing some istances without trinity , that u need 2 things : 1) fast reflex , 2)know ur class skills and ur opponent
    This is the 2 things to be succeful in pvp

Its would be a foollish idea , to fight face to face with huge companies , like Rift , that realese content extremly fast
    Their aim , is like D3, LoL , SC2 etc , for ppl to chill and offer things for ppl to have fun
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-06-13 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    So you both have no issues with me being 80lvl on the first day? I was pushing 4-5 lvls per hour ALONE, so.. with a small help of my friends.... It's just feels weird, I dunno. I know in GW2 rushing to top level is not that important.. but damn.. it's just happening too fast .

Neither me nor none of my guildies run out of content to do, I was lvl 15 before I was able to do half of the first zone. I think people just don't know how to approach GW2, I've seen them doing an event and running off before second phase starts (ironically, there is topic where guy is asking if multi-phase events even exist ROFL). No one is gathering anything (LOADS of xp), people just run from heart to heart and that's it. If by chance they miss a scout who would lead them to next heart, they are not even bother to look around the map to check if there are uncovered areas and try to go to next zone - then crying they have nothing to do :/.

When I was done with the first zone (100%), I was 19lvl. The materials I've gathered were enough to get me over 2 lvls through crafting. Thing is, exploring the whole map was NOT a waste of time, it is actually VERY efficient way to get XP.

All I'm saying is that when people will get their heads around GW2, they will level insanely fast.. and I'm not sure that Anet wants to have most of the population of players at 80lvl two days after launch :/.
    You were using experience boosters which I doubt you'll do on live. I have a feeling you were doing them on the BWE because it was free for you. If you wanted to level a char to 80 using them and they last an hour and you say you were making around 5 levels an hour it'd probably cost you 25-50 bucks just for those items alone. If that's worth it to make you ding 80 as soon as possible then more power to you but I doubt that will be anymore than a fraction of the game. Also, no, I didn't craft at all and hardly did any gathering which may attribute to my slower leveling. However, that being said I did 100% clear one zone (98% on another because of broken skill points and a missing POI [would be nice if those were easier to see on the map]) and probably around 85% a third to hit 30. The other low level zones I think I did around 70-75%. But basically it is saying you MUST do other races starter zones to level up or use XP boosters. I don't think the crafting/gathering would have made up the difference. And I did do many events in Queensdale around 5+ times so it's not that I just did them once and done.

TLDR: Yes, I think XP is a bit slow going and I think it will be even worse at release when they tone down mob spawn rates and DE event spawn rates.

EDIT: Oh, and from my personal experience, WvWvW is not a good way of gaining XP or at least I didn't have any luck. It took 2-3+ times as long to get a level in PvP as in PvE. But my server sucked after day one so that may be part of it.

I was lvl 12 after having 100% in queensdale. I did no story mode and did no crafting but mined everything I saw. That alone would have got me to lvl 15 at least but I didn't do it for the BWE.
    I often ran around just looking for a DE to spawn. Hell I even ran over to this bee farm where some guy complained about his crazy bee obsessed mom and killer bears. I waited patiently for bears to attack but nothing came of it. That kind of thing happened a lot in queensdale. It improved massively in Kessex though. Massively.

I think that DE starting (not player triggered ones) had a lot to do with participation in this beta. If one or only a few people were around they just wouldn't spawn. I played through the night and queensdale was dead for quite a while. Really, not much was happening.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You were using experience boosters which I doubt you'll do on live. I have a feeling you were doing them on the BWE because it was free for you. If you wanted to level a char to 80 using them and they last an hour and you say you were making around 5 levels an hour it'd probably cost you 25-50 bucks just for those items alone. If that's worth it to make you ding 80 as soon as possible then more power to you but I doubt that will be anymore than a fraction of the game. Also, no, I didn't craft at all and hardly did any gathering which may attribute to my slower leveling. However, that being said I did 100% clear one zone (98% on another because of broken skill points and a missing POI [would be nice if those were easier to see on the map]) and probably around 85% a third to hit 30. The other low level zones I think I did around 70-75%. But basically it is saying you MUST do other races starter zones to level up or use XP boosters. I don't think the crafting/gathering would have made up the difference. And I did do many events in Queensdale around 5+ times so it's not that I just did them once and done.

TLDR: Yes, I think XP is a bit slow going and I think it will be even worse at release when they tone down mob spawn rates and DE event spawn rates.

EDIT: Oh, and from my personal experience, WvWvW is not a good way of gaining XP or at least I didn't have any luck. It took 2-3+ times as long to get a level in PvP as in PvE. But my server sucked after day one so that may be part of it.
    Crafting and gathering were/are very unappreciated XP source, out of my over 35lvls 7 were achived by crafting ;s. Also, you can level from 1 to 80 with just crafting, devs have confirmed it. So yeah, crafting and gathering can make up a huge part in your leveling - don't dismiss them.