Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, you gotta edit that to religion bashing or something.

Not all christians are insane bro, only some.

As I'm sure everyone else in this thread has said.

'I strongly disagree with that law on the basis that it places a fine wholy defined by a persons definition of 'moral' language'

Have a good day sirs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh god, i live a few cities over, this better not spread!

My counties native tongue has words that when pronounced sound similar to swear words. For example "whakapapa" is pronounced fuck-a-papa. Hope they would take any of these misinterpretations into account.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Massachusetts and find it absolutely absurd to think they'd try to pass some stupid shit like this. Just because something may be profane does not mean it should be censored. Theres no way they can legally uphold this law. Freedom of speech trumps some small towns bylaws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awfulz View Post

Making alt accounts to troll, not a good idea.
    Man did he not even use a proxy?

Deleted
    Well, yes, to ban swearwords in general is a bit over the top.
    I mean I say "Scheiße" or "Fuck" everytime i trip on the street xD
    That doesn't really harm anyone.

But, I wouldn't mind such a fine, if you get it, when you insult other people with swearwords like "slut", "whore" or "fag" (to be continued until christmas). That is really unnessecary and may hurt people. And it really doesn't inhibit your rights if you are forbidden to insult others, does it?
    In that case it wouldn't be a infringement of the freedom of speech in my opinion. Let the douchebags who like to insult others for no reason pay that fine.
    (That doesn't mean, that you should get the fine, when you call your friends "fag" or "ashole" out of fun when he/she doesn't mind.)

They didn't ban swearing in general. They made it so that if you shouted them in public, you could be fined. That's a disturbing the peace issue. If I went and ran through town, shouting the lyrics to some song, I'd be disturbing the peace too. It's also arguably disorderly conduct, and possibly public indecency.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow as being from mass...im truly surprised that its not Northampton.

Middleborough is just mad because no one stops on their way to the Cape while taking 495. suckers! hahah

I find it more interesting that this is actually decriminalising puiblic profanity for that town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half of my husband's family live in Boston. I've never heard more conversations peppered with profanity in my life than I do when we're visiting Massachusetts... and I have some pretty redneck Texans in my family tree. You'd think an ordinance like this would hail from Utah.

Deleted
    I do my best to avoid swearing in public anyway, but I sure ain't paying no fine if I slip up. The thing is how do you uphold this? Just refuse to pay and unless they were taping you (Which I think again is against the law without a warrant), they have no proof anyway.

Edited post because realised it might of been offensive to americans.
    Anyway, To shorten my post- LOL
    Last edited by Chrispotter; 2012-06-13 at 12:48 PM.

"At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity."
    Good for them. Its about time people got back to decency and respect for others in public. You all have been told before, if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would become very poor very fast at this place.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    wow as being from mass...im truly surprised that its not Northampton.

Middleborough is just mad because no one stops on their way to the Cape while taking 495. suckers! hahah
    when you guys discovered this"new" land did you steal our towns and cities names for ALL of yours or just most?

15+ Year Old Account
    In the UK you can get arrested under section 5 of the Public Order Act for swearing in a public place and receive an £80 fixed penalty, if its taken to court the fine can be much more severe

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaine View Post
    In the UK you can get arrested under the section 5 of the Public Order Act for swearing in a public place and receive an £80 fixed penalty, if its taken to court the fine can be much more severe
    Ive never seen this law enforced in my life, only on TV shows where somebody is Repeatedly swearing at the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    "At a town meeting, residents voted 183-50 to approve a proposal from the police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity.

Officials insist the proposal was not intended to censor casual or private conversations, but instead to crack down on loud, profanity-laden language used by teens and other young people in the downtown area and public parks."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ine/55542416/1

I personally think this infringes upon freedom of speech and would refuse to pay a 20$ fine. Thoughts?
    I agree.. however... someone screaming "FUCK YOU, YOU MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT CUNT SLUTBAG!" across the street in a very public place.... is ALSO infringing on a lot of people's rights to NOT have to hear any of that. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and yada yada.

It's really interesting when things like this crop up, watching to see what happens in court eventually.. because it WILL go to court. There's a LOT of little fine lines drawn by this law/ordinance and.... it's really difficult to say which direction it could end up going.

Freedom of Speech is argued on one side, and things like... Mom walking her four year old around int hat area and he is being exposed to it against her will? Could go either way I suppose, but ..... to solve things I think they should get rid of the ordinance and then let a mob of angry towners beat the living shit out of people who can't learn when it's appropriate to swear and how loud it should be at the time given the surrounding environment. Would probably be a very polite area if that was the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyza View Post
    It's just Middleboro, btw. Not the entire state.

It's still fucked up.
    Why is it fucked up? Does your daily entertainment consist of yelling profanity at the top of your lungs around other people in public areas? It's rude, it's un-needed, and it paints a really bad picture of teens/young people (that's if it is a teen or young person saying it) and portrays them as complete idiots who have no sense of deceny or value of other people around them.

Having a fine to prevent people from doing it is a very good idea. I don't get the hate for it.