Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Seems to me that the 550ti is kind of a bad card. Performance looks to be between Radeon 6770 and 6850. I would never advice someone to get a GPU of that caliber for gaming now.

  2. #22
    I did the same thing, with my store bought PC. I went and got an i5 with with 8 gigs, then bought a 600W PSU and an overclocked EVGA 550 TI. I can max out almost any game, but it gets a little hot. I'll just make sure I don't play for really extended periods of time, to give it some rest. I play for 3-4 hours, then rest it for 2-3. Seems to me like I will have a decent life with this card.

    It was worth the 80 bucks.

  3. #23
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I did the same thing, with my store bought PC. I went and got an i5 with with 8 gigs, then bought a 600W PSU and an overclocked EVGA 550 TI. I can max out almost any game, but it gets a little hot. I'll just make sure I don't play for really extended periods of time, to give it some rest. I play for 3-4 hours, then rest it for 2-3. Seems to me like I will have a decent life with this card.

    It was worth the 80 bucks.
    im willing to bet you dont play on 1920x1080. im positive that it cant play "most" games at that resolution without things turned down.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If he can find a 6850 for that price, then I'd go for that, but still, "steal or not" the 550 Ti is good for 70. Also, OP, any idea what resolution you'll be gaming on?
    1980x1080 on my current computer..

  5. #25
    I have this card you're talking about. For the price (buying from your friend) I would say go for it. I have had it for a year not many issues yet, fan get's really loud past 50%.

    However, I do regret purchasing it. At the time I could have done more research to get a better card (obviously it would have been more money) and now i find myself looking to upgrade it about a year into it.

    The card itself draws very little power, and if your running a non overclocked rig, 450watts should be plenty of power.

  6. #26
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    1980x1080 on my current computer..
    Yeah 1920x1080 might be a bit tough for the 550 Ti to pull off, especially Skyrim. Skyrim maxed out pulls a lot of usage out of my 560 Ti thus you could probably play Skyrim at medium-high settings at that resolution.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    im willing to bet you dont play on 1920x1080. im positive that it cant play "most" games at that resolution without things turned down.
    Oh, well of course. I don't play at that resolution. 1400x900 is great for anything you'd need on a personal gaming PC. I'd say lower resolutions are actually better for gaming, TBH. It's not so demanding on your card and it allows for less power to a PSU. Which is cheaper on wallets.

    Tell me what can you see on 1920x1080 that you can't at 1400X900?

    Sure, there are always "bleeding edgers" here, but let's be honest, that ISN'T your average gamer.

  8. #28
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Oh, well of course. I don't play at that resolution. 1400x900 is great for anything you'd need on a personal gaming PC. I'd say lower resolutions are actually better for gaming, TBH. It's not so demanding on your card and it allows for less power to a PSU. Which is cheaper on wallets.

    Tell me what can you see on 1920x1080 that you can't at 1400X900?

    Sure, there are always "bleeding edgers" here, but let's be honest, that ISN'T your average gamer.
    1920x1080 started becoming the average 'norm' amongst gamers over a year ago. Especially now that so many TVs are also of that resolution, people almost expect "full HD" otherwise they aren't interested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •